Imported clay traps

stubby

yup, I know post's have been put up in the past about these, but thought I'd add another

a woodland plot holder next to mine has two traps (the good ones) and we have had a few enjoyable days shooting so far, I wanted to add a third, either for when a few of us are shooting, or if Im at our woods on my own, I checked the price of a good one, but to include what I wanted, it was coming in at around £1800 for the trap,wobbler and trolley, I could not justify that amount, so started looking at the imports, read lots of reviews and made my choice, ended up with an arial assault from GDK, it came in with an extra item of a remote control at just over a third of the price at £650, I'd had an Insurance pay out so basically it was free

it'll be tested out fully tomorrow when I'll be happy to do another review on it working, as my chainsaws,strimmers and trail cameras are all imported rather than named brands, and they all work fine, hopefully this will be the same

We just bought a promatic, 400 carousel, cables and trolley for under a grand.

I hope yours works well,

Our GDK's didn't, we had two like yours, ended up using one for spares to keep the other running, (bought second hand but unused)

When working they threw a very good clay.

The other one we had was one of the double arm auto's.

Ended up having to threaten them with the credit card company to get a refund, never worked properly from day one and bits kept falling off it.

Wouldn't have another,

The acorn traps are good value.

:shaun:

I have one without the wobble board would love to here your views of it working with the clays in dtl and overhead and incomers.

the wobbler works great, adds a lot more variety to the clays, shot a few without turning that on, but unless your walking around the trap for different shots, you know roughly where they are going to be, turning on the wobbler changes that, had a very enjoyable first day of using it

yup, I know post's have been put up in the past about these, but thought I'd add another

a woodland plot holder next to mine has two traps (the good ones) and we have had a few enjoyable days shooting so far, I wanted to add a third, either for when a few of us are shooting, or if Im at our woods on my own, I checked the price of a good one, but to include what I wanted, it was coming in at around £1800 for the trap,wobbler and trolley, I could not justify that amount, so started looking at the imports, read lots of reviews and made my choice, ended up with an arial assault from GDK, it came in with an extra item of a remote control at just over a third of the price at £650, I'd had an Insurance pay out so basically it was free

it'll be tested out fully tomorrow when I'll be happy to do another review on it working, as my chainsaws,strimmers and trail cameras are all imported rather than named brands, and they all work fine, hopefully this will be the same

my local clay club had one of these nothing but trouble, are you aware there is no fuse protection for the triggering / wireless electronics side of the unit.

behind the front panel where the flex goes into the trap there is relay that looks as though it is specially made for gdk.if the trap stalls for any reason that is the thing that gives up the ghost every time.

at over £20 plus a thrown nice little earner for gdk. four relay units later club got rid of trap.

also that spring on the front weakens very quickly.

i was going to put some fuse protection in place for the remote (trigger) side and the load side (motors) but gdk were not very helpful when i ask for circuit specs.

all in all club wont being buying any more, basically same old saying you get what you pay for.

hope yours works ok with no trouble.

I think this is probably were the trouble lay's, lot's of the bad reports are from clubs, where the trap is going to get a hard working out, if I was running a club, then I'd buy the best for years of service, this is a trap that may get used twice a month to throw 300 clays, a bit of difference me thinks to what it would be expected to throw in a club situation

I may be wrong of course, time will tell but.....

my imported chainsaws that everyone told me would break or kill me, are still working after 22 months of hard use, as are both my imported strimmers, and both my imported trail cameras, again, if I were running a professional set up, then maybe brand names would have been the way to go,

but so far, touch wood

We just bought a promatic, 400 carousel, cables and trolley for under a grand.

I hope yours works well,

Our GDK's didn't, we had two like yours, ended up using one for spares to keep the other running, (bought second hand but unused)

When working they threw a very good clay.

The other one we had was one of the double arm auto's.

Ended up having to threaten them with the credit card company to get a refund, never worked properly from day one and bits kept falling off it.

Wouldn't have another,

The acorn traps are good value.

Promatic Traps ..... Absolutely Brilliant.

Buy a secondhand Promatic.GDK are far to flimsy and unreliable

Promatic Traps ..... Absolutely Brilliant.

guys, are you even bothering to read the full post????

this is my review on my imported trap, no point you telling me to buy something else is there :no:

well done stubby, i have had mine two years now, and like you say they dont get used a lot .if something breaks then it gets fixed. me and the wife have had some great fun with ours , it has helped her improve her shooting . we just take it to a bit of land we have of the farmer , the wife can relax no one else watching her. may get the wabble board thing .when i got mine i did not get the cordless remote. i got one from maplin for 30 odd quid works a treat can get about 100 yards from it love the incoming shots . or get closer and let the fly over our heads . hope it serves you well.............................................pull :shoot:

, it has helped her improve her shooting .......pull :shoot:

mine too, up until now I had never really been into clays, but having shot a couple of times on my friends plot, started getting the "bug" even though I was ****, well after practising yesterday, we met up again today on his plot, not wanting to blow my own trumpet but was smashing them easy, and some really far shots too, having your own trap certainly helps, have footage of the wobbler in action which I'll post once it's uploaded to my computer

Nowt wrong with that,so your pruning the trees at the same time to.would be nice standing the other side of the trees and the clay coming at you. Thanks for taking the time to do the video.

we did, I edited lots out just to show the wobble,lol

we started behind the trap (it's facing a large pond) then moved around doing about 20 clays each in different positions, cracking day

• 2 weeks later...

again, as with all products, some work great some don't, but these cheaper traps are marketed for single or double shooters that want to throw a few clays, they are not meant for clay clubs, they do advertise better traps for clay grounds, but of course, more £££'s

so I'll still say it's user error, people buying cheap for constant use, then moaning when it breaks.

there are loads of good quality traps out there that suit club use, but as stated, to get anything near what the imported one costs, is around £1,800

mine cost £650 big difference, I've used it twice so far, both times it worked flawlessly, in fact throwing alongside my friends costly two traps, mine never broke a clay, his did, mine will get used perhaps once, maybe twice a month, so if it lasts 2yrs I'll be happy, longer is even better, if however I was throwing clays 3 or 4 days a week, I would expect things to go wrong,

It wasn' user error,

I spoke in great depth with GDK explaining what the traps were to be used for, how often and by how many,

He then went on to explain that the trap in question was more than suitable for our needs......

Our needs.......small club, maybe 10 - 20 members per week, ONCE a week, 2 - 3 times per month

That isn't excessive when as I said I explained what we needed them for

This was ours

http://www.gdktrading.co.uk/automatic-clay-pigeon-traps/double-arm-automatic-clay-trap

Please note this part in THEIR description......Our double arm auto clay trap is suitable for private individuals looking for a great clay trap, or clay clubs with regular use.

It wasn't abused. it barely worked to be honest.

We have since bought a Promatic

http://www.promatic.co.uk/All-Products/sporting-traps/sporting-individual-use/harrier-xts-new

400 capacity version of this. on trolley for under a grand,

We wanted a double arm hence the conversation with GDK but a Promatic one is way out of our price range,

GDK should have said it's not suitable, but to be honest even as a personal trap it wouldn't have worked, it never did reliably

It wasn' user error,

I spoke in great depth with GDK explaining what the traps were to be used for, how often and by how many,

He then went on to explain that the trap in question was more than suitable for our needs......

Our needs.......small club, maybe 10 - 20 members per week, ONCE a week, 2 - 3 times per month

That isn't excessive when as I said I explained what we needed them for

This was ours

http://www.gdktrading.co.uk/automatic-clay-pigeon-traps/double-arm-automatic-clay-trap

Please note this part in THEIR description......Our double arm auto clay trap is suitable for private individuals looking for a great clay trap, or clay clubs with regular use.

It wasn't abused. it barely worked to be honest.

We have since bought a Promatic

http://www.promatic.co.uk/All-Products/sporting-traps/sporting-individual-use/harrier-xts-new

400 capacity version of this. on trolley for under a grand,

We wanted a double arm hence the conversation with GDK but a Promatic one is way out of our price range,

GDK should have said it's not suitable, but to be honest even as a personal trap it wouldn't have worked, it never did reliably

I know of 2 promatic double arm traps are for sale for alot less than a grand