public consultation on a licensing system for killing salmon in scotla

Bewsher500

Great eh! Ignore the decimation of Salmon stocks caused by increasing predation due to the massive explosion of the marine seal population, which because of ministerial and governmental fear of losing the votes of an anthropomorphic, ignorant public and not having the testicles to challenge the extremist opinions of the protectionist lobby, the authorities won't address this as a real issue, but suggest bringing in an alternative, lip service measure that won't work and only impacts on a compliant minority, exactly as the ban on rod and line anglers killing a Salmon and the imposition of catch and release measures prior to June 16 brought in about twelve years ago in England and Wales didn't work!........However note......the EA were and are still allowed to charge Salmon anglers the full season cost for a yearly licence for half a season rod and line Salmon harvest!.........despicable and pathetic!

If the authorities in the UK really want to conserve the Salmon.....killing any Seal chasing Salmon into freshwater and controlling the coastal seal population would be a good start!.......

This is another example of the mad left who now unfortunately run Scotland. Nothing good shall come of this either in the name of conservation or affordable salmon angling for the rank and file. The present system might not be perfect but most anglers would sooner have this than handing over their hard earned money to employ a mass of civil servants to run this scheme.

Blackpowder

Grey seals will eat 7kg of fish a day , some are blaming the large population of greys in the Hebrides for a lack of fish (Pollack) this year, I dont know, although I have noticed an unusual number of fish that have been injured, perhaps we are chasing an increasingly dwindling number of all species of fish, however I did notice that in Blakeney N Norfolk there is a 100 fold increase in the grey seal population in the last 15 yrs with 2400 pups born last year, this is a huge number, I wonder what they eat and how on earth it can be sustained year round

One thing for sure IG is they are not grazing animals its fish and more fish of all species. During the time I was at the creeling the annual organised cull of the seal population on the Farne Islands colony was halted, in fact stopped permanently due in some part to the efforts of Greenpeace if I remember correctly. Since then numbers have spread up to Holy Island Sands where there are thousands and onwards to the Berwickshire coast. On some of the remote beaches west of St Abbs Head there are now breeding colonies, again numbering thousands, where 20 years a seal was never seen. Its conservation gone mad, protecting one species to the detriment of a valuable sport and food source.

Blackpowder

And I have not even mentioned the flocks of avian predators fishing the smolt run in April and May.

One thing for sure IG is they are not grazing animals its fish and more fish of all species. During the time I was at the creeling the annual organised cull of the seal population on the Farne Islands colony was halted, in fact stopped permanently due in some part to the efforts of Greenpeace if I remember correctly. Since then numbers have spread up to Holy Island Sands where there are thousands and onwards to the Berwickshire coast. On some of the remote beaches west of St Abbs Head there are now breeding colonies, again numbering thousands, where 20 years a seal was never seen. Its conservation gone mad, protecting one species to the detriment of a valuable sport and food source.

Blackpowder

And I have not even mentioned the flocks of avian predators fishing the smolt run in April and May.

Agreed, if my maths are correct then 5000 seals on 7kg a day = 35 tonnes per day, I love to watch seals but...........