FAC grant in kent.

Dannyboy220

Hi guys, I've done a search but can't find anything recent. Has anyone put in for an FAC grant recently in Kent? How long ago and if you have it back how long did it take?

I've got the land and it's been cleared already as other shooters have been on before, put in for .17hmr, 22rf and FAC air though I'm regretting that already as probably won't use it. How easy it is to swap that over when I have my grant for a .223? Loads of fox on the land and I'm reading conflicting advice about the .17 for fox. Anyone have any experience with this caliber for fox in Kent?

Took 16 weeks for my shotgun ticket a few years ago, so I'm expecting another long wait.

Cheers

Dan

My FAC grant was a while back now, but from recollection was 3-4 months - however that was a couple of years ago and I know they've lost staff.

There'll be no dramas getting an FAC air slot swapped for a 223 in due course, keep it on there and you won't have to pay for the variation in the future as it'll be a one for one rather than additional slot.

When I applied, they would only let me have a .22lr and said I could apply for a free variation after six months to add the hmr. I got a 223 about a year later. Your other alternative is to change the application when the FEO comes round to 22, 17 and 223. They will probably not grant the 223, but might give you both rimfire calibres.

If they don't, make sure you tell the FEO that you need to be able to control the foxes. All my rifles are conditioned for vermin and any other lawful quarry which means you can shoot foxes with them. A friend of mine has vermin and fox on his hmr. If it just says vermin, it'll be debatable whether you'd be able to shoot foxes, the HO guidance classes foxes as different to vermin.

Good luck!

When I applied for mine I Wasn't granted for the 17hmr I applied for as the feo wasn't happy with the round and preferred for me to go for the .223 but only after getting some experience with the .22lr and getting some mentoring as well. Which I've only just done so will be putting in for a variation. But going for .243 instead as its a good fixing round so in told and also if I want to go stalking for deer in the future. Which is what I want to get into. I can with the .243 rather than the .223 which isn't big enough for deer. But the actual granting only took a few weeks after the visit.

Hi, I know it's a while back but I got my FAC in kent when I was 18 which is 10 years ago and applied for a 17 hmr which I was granted and then after about 4 months or so the gamekeeper I was helping phoned up the FO and said the 17 isn't man enough for foxes and I put in a variation for 223 and got that no problem. But I haven't got FAC anymore so I don't know what's changed. Also I found 17 a bit light for fox to be honest and even though I killed one cleanly I had a few that didn't go down as I'd of liked. Great long range bunny and Corvis round though.

Atb

Thanks guys that's great. Was your fao bob Bruce? I hope I get him again as he's a top bloke. Big hit, it's been a while! How you getting on? I take it you have some more land if you are getting a .243?

hi danny

I got my fac in august 2013, I applied for and got .22 (did not specify lr so I could get WMR if I decided to) .17HMR and FAC air.

just recently I applied to have my certificate made OPEN which again got granted with very little fuss.

I have posted previously how good Bob Bruce is, he sees things from the shooters point of view which is very rare, when he came to see me about making my ticket OPEN I was expecting the third degree, but far from it, he checked and saw that I was using my rifles a lot, and said he has had no reports to say that I had been a problem and said no problem there and then.

I also have .22 and .17HMR for fox on mine, again Bob is sensible and agreed that if ranges are kept sensible then they are both adequate for fox if you happen across one when out. I have shot a fair few with the HMR (head Shots) and have had no issues at all.

good luck with your application, let me know how you get on

belly

Edited by belly47

Nice one Belly, I did see your posts regarding your open ticket and the quick turnaround on that did give me some confidence. I am trying to get my head around the different calibres at the moment but I put .22 Rimfire on for mine so hopefully will be the same?

I'm from Rochester originally,born and bred on Copperfield road!

Nice one Belly, I did see your posts regarding your open ticket and the quick turnaround on that did give me some confidence. I am trying to get my head around the different calibres at the moment but I put .22 Rimfire on for mine so hopefully will be the same?

I'm from Rochester originally,born and bred on Copperfield road!

strood here lol

always put Rochester as more people have heard of that!!!

Bob is a top FEO. I moved from Snodland in 2011 so sadly don't have him anymore. It would be interesting to know what they say about the 243. Whether you need a DSC1 and/or whether you need deer already on land or stalking booked. I'd quite like a 243 for foxes and very occasional deer. I have deer on my permissions but would mainly use it for foxes.

Different uses I know but I have applied for 2 x 22lr, shotgun, .243 and .308 all with mods. 5 weeks to wait for interview after cheque was cashed in November and been 3 weeks wait for the ticket so far. I did ask if they could get it to me in time for the shooting show (I know a bit cheeky) but they said they didn't think so. If it is anything like my shotgun cert from last year I expect to wait about 5 weeks in total for the cert.

As said above, Bob is a very nice guy.

Thanks guys that's great. Was your fao bob Bruce? I hope I get him again as he's a top bloke. Big hit, it's been a while! How you getting on? I take it you have some more land if you are getting a .243?

Not had much time to get out. Not that there's been anything to go shooting for on the pigeon front where I am. But as for the land when I applied for the .22lr mike Stuart, checked the land and said it would be fine for up to .308. But he wanted me to have some experience with larger calibres first before granting a large round.

• 1 month later...

Well Bobby has been round today exactlY one month after they banked the cheque and around 6 weeks since application went in.

He's happy for me to have FAC air (which I probably don't need but suggested I keep it on there to swap out for .243 later) .22rf and .17hmr he has put the AOLQ on conditions as want it for fox. Happy days... Now for the long wait!

Yeah it's a grim long wait 5 months. My mate did his last June and hot it back in November but I was hoping that was just the summer rush when everyone is looking at the bunnies on their perms! Guess I gotta just sit back and also not look to hard at the sales sites.

Does give me time to think about what I want though. I like the look of the Browning T bolt for the .22 and maybe the CZ .17hmr with the thumb hole grip laminated stock. Not sure if it's going to be a little light though as I prefer a heavier air rifle?

Edited by Dannyboy220

I had the cz455 .17hmr , 16inch varmint barrel and I still regret having to sell it for financial reasons at the time

Stick a trigger kit on it and they are superb, could not recommend it highly enough. With a bi pod on it the weight is not light but still more than manageable

As soon as money allows I will get another without hesitation

I never cleaned the barrel. You will see many posts saying should I or should I not clean my barrel

I was in the camp which says don't clean it till you have issues

Accuracy was spot on

Edited by belly47

• 1 month later...

I phoned 2 weeks ago and was told it will still be a "few" weeks. I have now spent all the money I had saved for new toys on silly things like bills, diesel and food!

You are only up the road from me if you want a hand with the rabbits I will come and throw stones at them for you.