Tried (and failed) shooting high pigeons

ShropshireSam

Had a go on the clays today at Oakedge (nr Stafford). Had 3/4 and full chokes in. Started with some standard crossers at various angles and then moved to the higher stuff (3 traps in tower at top of a slope). Unfortunately the highest trap was out of action but had a go at other two at range of angles and distances. Two things I learnt...at distance you have to be very consistent and keep everything smooth; also found using tight chokes very useful to learn on the clays...had loads where I just clipped the clay and you could tell where, ie top, bottom, front or back..with a skeet or 1/4 I would have hit these clays with more pellets and not known where the centre of the pattern was in relation to the clay.

Thought I shot well (for me) considering the difficult clays and the chokes used but not confident I can still hit many of these high pigeons that were at least another 10 yards higher and definately faster....but I hope that with a full choke, some Dark Storm No6 30g (B*****y expensive!) cartridges I will bring a few more down.

Shot wood last Saturday...should I leave it another week?

PS Bakerboy.....I usually wear the brim high so I think I have good vision......but didn't wear a hat today though so will keep in mind.

Had a go on the clays today at Oakedge (nr Stafford). Had 3/4 and full chokes in. Started with some standard crossers at various angles and then moved to the higher stuff (3 traps in tower at top of a slope). Unfortunately the highest trap was out of action but had a go at other two at range of angles and distances. Two things I learnt...at distance you have to be very consistent and keep everything smooth; also found using tight chokes very useful to learn on the clays...had loads where I just clipped the clay and you could tell where, ie top, bottom, front or back..with a skeet or 1/4 I would have hit these clays with more pellets and not known where the centre of the pattern was in relation to the clay.

Thought I shot well (for me) considering the difficult clays and the chokes used but not confident I can still hit many of these high pigeons that were at least another 10 yards higher and definately faster....but I hope that with a full choke, some Dark Storm No6 30g (******y expensive!) cartridges I will bring a few more down.

Shot wood last Saturday...should I leave it another week?

PS Bakerboy.....I usually wear the brim high so I think I have good vision......but didn't wear a hat today though so will keep in mind.

Why Dark Storm?

Don't consider the 'sitting' pigeons at all. Nothing to do with your high bird problem. They are sitting with their very full crops very fully extended. (That is the reason they are sitting in the tree in the first place).

You shoot the bird and the crop acts like a sponge and most of your shot is absorbed by the contents of the crop. They fly off OK but will not be able to feed properly because of the perforated crop skin. Your dog will find them days later.

The size of the crop, when full, makes it like a piece of body armour. It is almost as large as the rest of the bird.

My father in law, passed on his years of wisdom while at the clay ground a while ago, he uses the old belly beak bang approach normally, but for high birds he recommends belly beak bosh bang method, where the 'bosh' is a fairly solid push/shove on your gun to get that extra bit in front/speed up the swing.

took me a couple of goes to get the feel for what he meant, but haven't missed a high bird (clay or real) since! (well one or two..), that's with 1/4 or 1/2 choke 6's and 7.5s

We've all been there & as others have said you have a very honest streak.Remember electricity pylons are generally only 30-35 metres high & most tall poplars would be around 25-30 metres up;Their sparseness can create an optical illusion making the birds look impossibly high.The result can mean you change your technique fractionally (poke in front & stop your swing/subconciously add on a bit of lead with the same effect).Try not to shoot these higher birds any differently but do be concious of maintaining that swing. When this happens to me (every time I shoot at higher birds),I try to keep the gun in my shoulder after the shot & keep swinging for a second or so no longer watching the bird.Sometimes it works.

Don't consider the 'sitting' pigeons at all. Nothing to do with your high bird problem. They are sitting with their very full crops very fully extended. (That is the reason they are sitting in the tree in the first place).

You shoot the bird and the crop acts like a sponge and most of your shot is absorbed by the contents of the crop. They fly off OK but will not be able to feed properly because of the perforated crop skin. Your dog will find them days later.

The size of the crop, when full, makes it like a piece of body armour. It is almost as large as the rest of the bird.

I don't buy that for a second. The shot should find it's way past or through a pigeon's crop.

• 2 weeks later...

I went some time ago on a roost shoot were the birds come In high to some fir trees near wisbech football ground I shot 2 for 30 odd shots .I was shooting 1 1./8 fives I was starting to think they were to high .but the lad next to me shot 17 with his dark storm 6 shot .I have now got some dark storm they are good but not that good ,I think its just bad shooting on my part simple must try harder .

I don't buy that for a second. The shot should find it's way past or through a pigeon's crop.

I have recently shot at some sitting birds at about 45 yards, facing towards me. Some just fall stone dead, but some just fly off. OK, I could have completely missed them, twigs may have stopped some shot etc but some, I'm sure were almost knocked off the branch then pulled themselves together before they hit the deck and flew off.

No explanation.

I have recently shot at some sitting birds at about 45 yards, facing towards me. Some just fall stone dead, but some just fly off. OK, I could have completely missed them, twigs may have stopped some shot etc but some, I'm sure were almost knocked off the branch then pulled themselves together before they hit the deck and flew off.

No explanation.

See my comment above - It is particularly the ones facing towards you that I was on about.