Wolverine b vs Defiant Ogives

evo

ok as you know I,m always striving to find the best pellets to use for hunting, I am using for my nighttime shooting a wolverine b in .177, now to say I,ve tried nearly every pellet on the market is an understatement,

ok so the best pellets so far for accuracy at a measured 50yrds exactly have been as follows,

1st H&N Barracuda Match 10.65gr

2nd H&N Field Target Trophy 8.64gr

this is using the .177 wolverine, now the .22 wolverine the best pellet I have found has without a doubt been the JSB Exact 15.89gr, nothing comes remotely close so I stick with them,

ok back to today, weather was fine and overcast with just the slightest of breeze but nothing really worth worrying about, it was basically as close to perfect as I could wish for,

I had been kindly sent a small tub of Defiant Ogives by Secretagentmole off here(thanks mate)to test

I set up my target at exactly50yrds , this was measured with a laser range finder, the first thing I did was to put 10 shots using the barracuda match into the first target, the first pellet was slightly low but the next nine pellets were all in the same hole,

002_zps46906ebf.jpg

now don't forget this is 50yrds measured,,

I then spent 5 mins aiming at the zero point with the defiant ogives,and in the end decided to fire a 5 shot group at the target, the results were quite shocking, they just did not want to shoot straight through the wolverine b,

I am not saying they wont shoot fine through any other rifle as Mole will vouch for because they shoot brilliant through his and are very accurate but my wolverine b just did not get on with them, here is a pic of the best 5 shot group I could do with them,

003_zpsb86de9ba.jpg

as you can see they just would not perform at all and this was the best 5 shot group,,

it just goes to show that you MUST try different pellets through your rifle to fine the most accurate pellet before going hunting,

can I just say a big thanks to mole for kindly sending me some pellets (no cost to myself) but as he can see I wont be changing the H&N Baracuda Match pellets just yet,

001_zps45ede664.jpg

004_zpsadc51194.jpg

005_zpse848bca2.jpg

the above pics are my night time shooting rifle

atb Evo

Mr mole is going to be so upset , almost as upset as the 101 people he has recommended them too over the last few months , thats the defiant sponsorship out of the window !

Seriouslly though it just proves that the age old answer of "one that suits your barrel" is the correct one for all the "which pellet" questions

Evo,

Have you tried the AA Diablo blue tin 7.9gn ?

My MK4 loved the H&N and I couldnt imagine anything bettering them, then I tried these and they are super, definately beating the H&N.

A few other Daystate owners I know have tried them now also and found them to be great. I bought a sleeve of them I was so impressed and may get more at the BSS this sunday!

Are you going to the BSS too ?

ATB

Matt

Mr mole is going to be so upset , almost as upset as the 101 people he has recommended them too over the last few months , thats the defiant sponsorship out of the window !

Seriouslly though it just proves that the age old answer of "one that suits your barrel" is the correct one for all the "which pellet" questions

fenboy I was shocked at just how bad they grouped, well to be honest I couldn,t get them to group, I fount they where all over the place through the rifle no matter how hard I tried, BUT that's not to say they wont shoot well through any other rifle, they just don't perform through the wolv b, I was really looking forward to using them as well, never mind,

to be honest I think I,ll find it VERY difficult to find something that will out perform the H&N Baracuda Match, they perform superb in .177 , not tried them in .22 and don't know if they even make them in that size,

its strange that the wolv c just loves the jsb Exacts , cant find another pellet that performs as consistant but have to say the H&N FTT and the Bisley Long Range Golds also perform well but just not quite as tight as the Exacts,,they are a cracking pellet with plenty of stopping power,

it was very good of Mole to sent me them, just hope he,s not too upset :lol::lol: :lol: :good:

Evo,

Have you tried the AA Diablo blue tin 7.9gn ?

My MK4 loved the H&N and I couldnt imagine anything bettering them, then I tried these and they are super, definately beating the H&N.

A few other Daystate owners I know have tried them now also and found them to be great. I bought a sleeve of them I was so impressed and may get more at the BSS this sunday!

Are you going to the BSS too ?

ATB

Matt

I,ve not tried them in the wolv B matt, but will certainly give them a go and see how they perform,,i,ll order a tin now, cheers mate

Not every pellet is good for every gun and I know Evo will have run a good few through to before testing the grouping!

My Super 10 was tested with a good few pellets by the god of BSA himself, John Bowkett and the Ogive was the best performing! That is why I use them in my Super 10 and then tested them in my RM8, in which they also worked well. My Mk 3 is still running JSB pellets (got about 2000 when I bought the gun). Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums are my pellet of choice for the .22s!

Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums are my pellet of choice for the .22s

Did that include your R8 in the brief period you owned it mole ... just curious to know

ld like to try an 8 shoot grouping test with my R8

Bisley Long Range

JSB Exacts

H&N Field

And a few others lve got, to for once and for all find out just which pellet is the best ... though lve found the R8 quite tolerant in many respects, pellet was "thats to 40 yards max ... ld like to know which are the best at 50 metres ... ld stick my neck out and suggest JSB exacts, but HN field might just disprove that ...

Edited by hoggysreels

Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums are my pellet of choice for the .22s

Did that include your R8 in the brief period you owned it mole ... just curious to know

Yes it did. However I also tested several other pellet brands (got a great RFD near me) and I could not get anywhere near the power claimed by Walther/Umarex.

Damned thing did not even get up to power with Logun Penetrators...

Crosman were accurate, just low powered (well they are only a 14.3 grain pellet).

Thinking about it I am using heavy .177s (apart from the Daystate) and light weight .22s. Wonder if the BC is approximately the same....

Edited by secretagentmole

My FAC Wolverine has finally been zeroed properly at 50

yards and the only pellets ive tried are

JSB Exacts Jumbos

H&N FTT Trophy

Biz Mags

And all performed pretty well, but the JSB's took pole position as they got the tightest groups at that distance.

The hardest hitting were the obvious Biz Mags and fair play the pack hell of a punch with 30ft lbs energy behind them.

Going to the British Shooting Show on the 15th, so may pick up a pellet pack or two if i can find them, just to try out a few other brands with out

buying full tins. But in all fairness, i can't see the JSB's being beaten as they are pretty impressive through my Wolverine.

The local crow populous has decided their not overly keen on them either as i've been dropping them willy nilly at very good ranges. Cant get over how

user friendly these Wolverines as it didn't take long to work out its capabilities at range. 75/80 yards with minimal hold over and its good night Irene for

any thing unlucky enough to be in its firing line :good: :good: :lol: :lol:

Gareth

Gareth, I will be at the show on Sunday too if you want to meet up and also am happy to give you a sample pack of the JSB 18gn if you want!

They are what I am using in my FAC Huntsman, the little extra weight really smashes threw avian pest breast bones when taking chest shots !

ATB

Matt

Gareth, I will be at the show on Sunday too if you want to meet up and also am happy to give you a sample pack of the JSB 18gn if you want!

They are what I am using in my FAC Huntsman, the little extra weight really smashes threw avian pest breast bones when taking chest shots !

ATB

Matt

Hello Matt

Yes bud that could be arranged for Sunday no worries. Be nice for a meet up and a chat etc.

And thanks for the offer of some different pellets to try the Wolverine much appreciated Matt

Looking forward to meeting up

Gareth