Pinks on the Move

anser2

I was out this morning on the North Norfolk Coast when mid morning a skein of pinks apeared comming from the east , probably from the Broads. Over the next couple of hours a stream of skiens followed them some far out over the sea and all heading west. After the long cold spell the last couple of days its turned very mild so I recon these are starting out on the return migration. Where are they going ? Keep an eye out on the Humber or NW England or the Solway they may be comming your way.

They normally fly straight over the Humber, and just keeping heading north west or north. I would think the Solway is the destination for the majority we see here, although occasionally skeins can be seen heading more or less west with I would think Lancashire their destination.

Greylags. Definite recognition. Sound and sight.

Wednesday morning.

Three skeins of 70-80 birds. All on more or less the same track line and all on the same heading - North.

Viewed over about 25 minutes. Between Fressingfield and Metfield in North Suffolk.

About 2500 feet high. (Retired pilot so that wont be far out).

Watched them from one horizon to the far one.

Speaking about Icelandic greys migration, I'm sure they would go as far as Suffolk/norfolk. No way of proving it, though we have shot pinks in Kent, which I was surprised at! , and I have shot both species of white front in cambs. So geese can surprise you the distance they travel. More greys headed south than normal thus season according to my contacts up the north

Four neck ringed greylags were found in Norfolk three years ago and two the year before all ringed in Orkney. They could have been Orkney ferals or Icelantic. Given that only a tiny percentage of Orkney greys are neck ringed there may be good numbers present some winters in Norfolk. Plus neck ringed greylags from Belguim and Holland have been seen in recent years in Norfolk.