help lamping

devon fowler

Hi folks,

so peed of trying to get mates to come out lamping with me! I remember when I first started if I was invited out after Charlie or bunnie bashing nothing could of stopped me now all I get is excuses no body is ever up for it. I live in the tiverton area if anyone close is as keen as I am I have plenty of ground and could really do with some help with the lamp and shooting I struggle trying to juggle the lamp and the rifle and besides its difficult to get motivated on your own.

cheers .

Hi folks,

so peed of trying to get mates to come out lamping with me! I remember when I first started if I was invited out after Charlie or bunnie bashing nothing could of stopped me now all I get is excuses no body is ever up for it. I live in the tiverton area if anyone close is as keen as I am I have plenty of ground and could really do with some help with the lamp and shooting I struggle trying to juggle the lamp and the rifle and besides its difficult to get motivated on your own.

cheers .

Get a gun mounted lamp, no need to rely on anyone else, still good fun sometimes though

I have a different problem in Essex I have a small permission here few acres and the land owner will only allow me to shoot not even a lamping budy I am the only shooter and I feel privliaged but it's not great fun on my own. And land around here is very hard to come by people are not that welcoming. Hope you find someone soon.

Nick.

(You could try a night vision set up its what I use.)

Edited by Nick8310

Nothing worse then trying to find land! that's why I cant understand my mates they claim to b mad keen but never want to go out, I have worked so hard to get all my permissions im offering it to them on a plate so to speak and no one is committed. Just wish I had been offered it like that when I first started.

It's good to have some one with you second set of eyes

so true

Nothing worse then trying to find land! that's why I cant understand my mates they claim to b mad keen but never want to go out, I have worked so hard to get all my permissions im offering it to them on a plate so to speak and no one is committed. Just wish I had been offered it like that when I first started.

so true

Yh if they are keen then they should jump at the offer it is soooo hard to get even out with someone here your offering a great deal chap I am sure it will go soon enough someone is bound to see this shortly.

Nick.

I have shot solo at night for many years because it is so difficult to get people to turn out. There are advantages and disadvantages >> Pros >> you can come + go as you please. You get to take all the shots. >> I like the peace and solitude of it. It is a lot quieter and simpler with just one not forgetting the dog. Disadvantages >> your on your own if you hurt yourself >> ( I once went b over a when I stumbled into a trench in a corn field that had been washed out by a thunderstorm). Luckily I only fell flat on the ground and winded myself and the rifle wasn’t damaged. There is always the possibility of a confrontation with antis when you get back to the vehicle or damage to the vehicle, which might not be much fun if you are on your own. ( I did have someone walking along out in one of the fields with a torch looking for me but I wasn't going to play that game and I just went black and watched with my binos. He tried to be cunning and went black also but I was watching a light in the distance and as he came back he blanked the light as he walked by it. After he had gone back near to the road he use the torch to see the last gate. He had got no chance of finding me because I know the ground so well that I can walk it totally black other than the unexpected trench in the corn.

I also work solo most of the time. I prefer that. However, there are times when Charlie gets away because you are on your own.

Main thing I would like is a vehicle that I can drive and lamp then just stand up with head through a hatch to take the shot. I have a landy 90 so have to climb over the seat before standing to take the shot. That takes time - and often makes noise as I stand on the dog's tail or similar - and time wastes shots.

Walking around is no problem with either lamp or NV. It is the driving around that is the problem.

I am now fully kitted up for solo shooting having been let down by enthusiastic shooters who let you down last minute.

There's the odd 1 or 2 that are ok but shifts seem to get in the way.

Grandalf I know what you mean, If i see anything I stop, open the back door, put the rifle on the roof, get onto the back of the pick-up all this is done like Mr Bean on the snicker advert, then just hope that what you intended to shoot is still there.

Or the other way is, pull up in a likely spot, put caller out in field, set up rifle, coffee,NV spotter and seat on the back of the pick-up and wait.

I have shot solo at night for many years because it is so difficult to get people to turn out. There are advantages and disadvantages >> Pros >> you can come + go as you please. You get to take all the shots. >> I like the peace and solitude of it. It is a lot quieter and simpler with just one not forgetting the dog. Disadvantages >> your on your own if you hurt yourself >> ( I once went b over a when I stumbled into a trench in a corn field that had been washed out by a thunderstorm). Luckily I only fell flat on the ground and winded myself and the rifle wasn’t damaged. There is always the possibility of a confrontation with antis when you get back to the vehicle or damage to the vehicle, which might not be much fun if you are on your own. ( I did have someone walking along out in one of the fields with a torch looking for me but I wasn't going to play that game and I just went black and watched with my binos. He tried to be cunning and went black also but I was watching a light in the distance and as he came back he blanked the light as he walked by it. After he had gone back near to the road he use the torch to see the last gate. He had got no chance of finding me because I know the ground so well that I can walk it totally black other than the unexpected trench in the corn.

If your from the south east of England i found it hard to believe that people wouldn't come out with espically if they say they are keen however that said by the sounds of it your permission sounds like you risk getting a good thrashing from someone lol maybe thats why they wont come out with you.

Nick.

I got down to Tiverton every year, nice part of the world down there, shot some big reds and roe that way.

Got a friend in Tiverton that might be interested. He is just getting into it. He's a good laugh from that area but lived in London for a while.

PM me your no. and I will get him to contact you.

MAybe you can get him into fowling as well.