Castrated Hobs and intact Jill

Lucky Shot 1958

Hi Guys,

I have two castrated hobs and one intact jill all living in harmony they all work and get on very well together, but what will happen when the jill comes into season (she is 10 month old )as the hobs will not be much good to her and I have been told that if you don't breed a jill then she could die.

Shall I have her speyed ?

Any info much appreciated.

Thanks

Lucky Shot

I have owned close to a hundred ferrets in my time so speak from experience. If they're Gibs ( Neutered Hobs) they may not/probably won't show any interest in her. However, if they're Hoblets (vasectomised Hobs) if they'll show interest (inexperienced ones may not) they'll almost definitely definitely bring her out of season. It's the act of mating not fertilisation that brings the Jill out of season.

When a Jill is in heat, if she doesn’t mate she will secrete high levels of estrogen and if this hormone stays in the blood for a prolonged period of time, it can cause a progressive depression of bone marrow that results in a severe, life threatening aplastic anemia which can be fatal.

If a Jill is not mated, she will not necessarily die as a result. They just take forever to come out of season (sometimes several months) and are prone to infection and problems mentioned above. I have had Jill's that have not been mated and they have lived but that may be more luck than judgement.

Jill's have a very unique reproductive system, namely it includes induced ovulation. This basically means she will stay in heat or estrus until the physical act of mating is performed. If in doubt, go to the vet and get a 'Jill jab'.