Suspension of FAC/SGC

Rewulf

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been an interesting thread to follow and just shows what twisted thinking there is with some of the authorities and what we have to be aware of.

I am glad its worked out OK in the end, but we all know it could have been a different response, leading to months of aggro and potential financial cost.

It really is time that the Home Office sorted out the "Rules", let all concerned know what they are, with total consistency of interpretation, so everyone knows where they stand.

Surely it can't be that hard.

To summarise my revocation

I was a serving police officer, I was accused of racism over a misheard comment.

I was suspended and investigated, my inspector wrote to the licensing department and gave my entire discipline record (he broke the data protection act in doing so)

And claimed I had mental health issues.

They decided to review my sgc on the fear of a mental health issue I hadn't declared.... I paid for a gp report that dismissed the alleged mental health issues.

They still revoked me but gave no reason.

I was in sacs and they were useless.

I was revoked despite proving their concerns wrong, sacs refused to help in an appeal.

I reapplied after joining basc and them saying they would give advice and help, I was sacked for being insensitive (I paraphrase), I moved house and came back home to yorkshire. Basc gave more advice.

I settled in west yorks, the application was transfered.

The feo who came out couldn't believe I had been revoked or work out a rewason why I wouldn't be suitable.

I receieved my new sgc today.......... Join basc is my advice.

• 6 months later...

Basc don't seem to be all that really wonder if they are a take your money and run kind of company. A few post on PW now saying they got no help from basc.

Will have to think about my renewel.

Having worked with some of the BASC Firearms Department staff, they do their best, BUT they are NOT miracle workers !

How long did you have until you had to submit the liver function test? It's my understanding that if one was to abstain for a couple of weeks they would be clear? That was what someone who lost their licence for drink driving told me. If thats the case then whats the point of the test if it's not under test conditions?

Basc don't seem to be all that really wonder if they are a take your money and run kind of company. A few post on PW now saying they got no help from basc.

It makes perfect sense to me that BASC will not help in some cases , why should they spend their members money on cases they know they do not have a cats in hell chance of winning .

It's like the crown prosecution service taking every case to court , they don't , they pick the ones they think they have a good chance on gaining a conviction in .

Edited by fenboy

Maybe some people expect too much for their fifty quid sub? Small miracles and funding £20,000 to £100,000 of firearms related litigation....

How long did you have until you had to submit the liver function test? It's my understanding that if one was to abstain for a couple of weeks they would be clear? That was what someone who lost their licence for drink driving told me. If thats the case then whats the point of the test if it's not under test conditions?

They didnt actually stipulate how long I had to have it done,but I got the impression my suspension would not be looked at until they received it.

I took the earliest appointment I could,which was a week from the first phone call from firearms.

Took about 3 days for the result,collected and straight in the post.

I see your point,I could have waited a month,then took the test,but I didnt want to have any doubts cast about my sobriety!

The test would probably have looked abnormal if I was a chronic alcoholic,no matter how long the abstinece.

The test basically checks liver damage signs.

But I am involved in the running of several gun clubs,and I would have thought that if I was unfit or smelling of alcohol ect, then I would be dismissed from the clubs pronto,which I am pretty sure they would then have to inform licencing about?

As far as BASC go ,like Mungler said ,£50 doesnt buy a lot these days ,and expecting 10 grand blown on an unwinnable case is not good use of members subs.

I was happy with the support I received and will stay with them.

Edited by Rewulf