Baiting rats

krwigan

Hiya lads just wondering if anyone has ever put bait down for rats and it's been totally ignored?

I put some peanut butter down yesterday on a new permission and there is LOTS of signs of rats in the area. The place looks riddled but I went back today and the bait had not been touched. A lot of poison has gone down a week or two ago so I'm thinking maybe they have all gone. Will be going tomorrow night with the night vision so will find out for certain then.

KR

I haven't seen any sign of them since it disappeared

The idea is to feed until they take no more. A non-lethal dose may lead to resistance to the poison. I was confident it would be clearly stated in the directions for use, but they tend to say move the bait to 'more used' areas if not taken. So, yes, it is well known that all stations are not necessarily used for feeding.

A bit like those that do not complete the course of antibiotics - it just builds up problems for later.

If the baiting was done effectively only a couple of weeks ago, the rat population should be low but it may depend on where they were coming from. Residual poison in bait stations, that were known to be used, is a good indicator of low pest infestation.

Rats are clever little ****.

I have one keep getting in my garage , eating the bottoms out of bin bags , last night it chewed up about 10 inches of pipe lagging from my outside tap .

For the last 3 months its been avoiding poison, 6 fenn traps , 2 snap traps and two cage traps !

put bait down for rats and it's been totally ignored?

I put some peanut butter down yesterday on a new permission

but I went back today and the bait had not been touched. A lot of poison has gone down a week or two ago so I'm thinking maybe they have all gone. Will be going tomorrow night with the night vision so will find out for certain then.

KR

as rats suffer from neophobia, it could be a while before you get takes,

Rats are clever little ****.

I have one keep getting in my garage , eating the bottoms out of bin bags , last night it chewed up about 10 inches of pipe lagging from my outside tap .

For the last 3 months its been avoiding poison, 6 fenn traps , 2 snap traps and two cage traps !

How about the speed of a 22 pellet in its ear????>

Seriously, I use PEANUTS, they love them and whats more, Will stand still, like a squirrel to eat them.. ( 2 TODAY). :yes::yes:

How about the speed of a 22 pellet in its ear? ???>

Seriously, I use PEANUTS, they love them and whats more, Will stand still, like a squirrel to eat them.. ( 2 TODAY). :yes::yes:

My initial approach was to bait them with peanut butter and shoot them witrh the airgun , I had a few but have not seen one for months , this one is visiting early hours I think I could do with a trail camera to find out what exactly is going on , as its getting the better of me !

A friend of mine uses chocolate spread , but you scoop out a couple of spoons full from the jar, then top up with cooking oil, stir it in to create a thick but runny mix, lay some cardboard down and form a trail of the stuff from the runs out to a good kill zone, he gets good results most times, not for me, cant stand the critters, I will stick to pigeons thank you very much, :no::no::no:

Well just thought I'd let you all know how I got on, I've just got back. Spent 45mins waiting for them to come out. Seen one, missed it, typical! That place has been riddled in the past but the poison must have done them in. I found out tonight that apparently a 25kg bag was put down and only about 1/2 of it left so maybe I was a couple of weeks too late?

Well just thought I'd let you all know how I got on, I've just got back. Spent 45mins waiting for them to come out. Seen one, missed it, typical! That place has been riddled in the past but the poison must have done them in. I found out tonight that apparently a 25kg bag was put down and only about 1/2 of it left so maybe I was a couple of weeks too late?

45 Mins, is that all. :lol:

I have waitied 4 hours for them, my timing was out.

The last 2 were out in Daylight 12 noon.

You have to peg them down to eating habits, Yes Fenboy I want a Camera as well, let me know when you put one up, and /Where of course. :lol::lol::lol::whistling:

The poison was dumped in one go, all the lot in one place. It's a new permission so don't know exactly how much was put down, a lot is still left. Some has deffinatly been eaten. Seen the blue droppings!

I'm presuming it was all done in accordance with the labels and MSDS. 25kg "Dumped in one go" sounds like it would get The EA interested!!