BASC or CA

Bear68

My membership of BASC expires shortly, and I'm seriously considering whether to renew. My main concern is that BASC appears to have adopted a reactive approach to the Lead Action Group. BASC has 140,000 plus shooting members, but it is the CA (around 100,000 hunting/fishing/shooting members) which represents the shooting community on the LAG. Why isn't BASC, as the largest organisation representing UK shooters, doing so? It certainly has the biggest mandate. Shooting is going to face more challenges in the future, and I want my subs to go to whoever will give us the best representation; at the moment, this seems like the CA.

Edited by Bear68

My membership of BASC expires shortly, and I'm seriously considering whether to renew. My main concern is that BASC appears to have adopted a reactive approach to the Lead Action Group. BASC has 140,000 plus shooting members, but it is the CA (around 100,000 hunting/fishing/shooting members) which represents the shooting community on the LAG. Why isn't BASC, as the largest organisation representing UK shooters, doing so? It certainly has the biggest mandate. Shooting is going to face more challenges in the future, and I want my subs to go to whoever will give us the best representation; at the moment, this seems like the CA.

This debate is ongoing on another thread. Only you can decide who you give your money to, based on personal choices. My biggest regret is that over many years I have helped fund John Swifts income and pension fund. :sad1:

I explained the reason why the CA representative was on LAG representing all the shooting organisations and was fully briefed by BASC on the LAG thread.

As to which organisation to join, I agree with Scully, its a matter of personal choice, not least of all depending on what your main interests are.

Personally I am a member of BASC, CA, GWCT and Angling Trust

Make your choice carefully as, perhaps more than ever, we need to build a strong shooting advocacy.

If you do join an org, be prepared to get involved in shaping it to be the organisation you want it to be.

It is your choice, make it wisely.

This debate is ongoing on another thread. Only you can decide who you give your money to, based on personal choices. My biggest regret is that over many years I have helped fund John Swifts income and pension fund. :sad1:

i wish i could decide for myself but as i am a member of a wildfowling club then it has to be BASC! :unhappy:

Personally im a member of basc and CA . My reasons are as follows .

Basc . For general support of our shooting sports .and firearms licensing issues IF they should ever arise and of course there insurance.

The CA .

For the protection of our future shooting . I want an organisation that dont mind getting its hands dirty . Always up for a scrap . And is always prepared to shout its mouth off and make a noise !

The CA is always willing to do all of the above for ALL our field sport's

Just my views

basc spends tooo much time trying to get MPs to taste pheasant . And the protection of grouse moors .There are more pressing issues facing all of us . They IMO need to roll up there sleeves and be ready to get there hands dirty and start looking out for us "bottom end shooters" its not all about game shooting and tweed you know !

Atb

Edited by stevo

The CA missed the ball with the hunting act, as above and someone mentioned us bottom end shooters, the CA should have done the same with us bottom end hunters and turn the class war on its head.

I am now a member of BASC, I wasted money being a member of other organisations, licensing wise BASC are awesome and powerful, I have a mate , a shooter who worked for a while for a firearms licensing team...... He rates BASC and says they carry a lot of weight in licensing terms and can really change the way you get dealt with if things are going wrong.

I am in the process of applying for a sgc, my last was revoked last year, the organisation I paid into last year were useless...... Basc have already helped, even though the revocation predates membership, they said I should have appealled and they would have helped, if I am not granted a sgc now they will take it up, I have spoken to them twice regards this, both time a different guy and both time was given advice and help and the promise of further help and guidance if needed

The CA missed the ball with the hunting act, as above and someone mentioned us bottom end shooters, the CA should have done the same with us bottom end hunters and turn the class war on its head.

I am now a member of BASC, I wasted money being a member of other organisations, licensing wise BASC are awesome and powerful, I have a mate , a shooter who worked for a while for a firearms licensing team...... He rates BASC and says they carry a lot of weight in licensing terms and can really change the way you get dealt with if things are going wrong.

I am in the process of applying for a sgc, my last was revoked last year, the organisation I paid into last year were useless...... Basc have already helped, even though the revocation predates membership, they said I should have appealled and they would have helped, if I am not granted a sgc now they will take it up, I have spoken to them twice regards this, both time a different guy and both time was given advice and help and the promise of further help and guidance if needed

Great, a satisfied member.

Try telling that to Rewolf (revoke of sgc/fac)

Just compared the statements on the BASC and CA websites regarding the John Swift email and think I'll be switching to the CA. I want to belong to an organisation that will fight for my sport, and BASC's approach from my personal view seems to be one of gentle lobbying...it's too late for that now.

This touches on something I said a long while ago...... All the organisations should merge/work closer together, take best practice from each and be more proactive........ But regards influence in a firearms licensing capacity from people in the know (my mate and his former colleagues in a firearms licensing team) basc carries a bit more weight and experience and makes them listen better than other organisations

This touches on something I said a long while ago...... All the organisations should merge/work closer together, take best practice from each and be more proactive........ But regards influence in a firearms licensing capacity from people in the know (my mate and his former colleagues in a firearms licensing team) basc carries a bit more weight and experience and makes them listen better than other organisations

One organisation, bringing together all expertise in one place would command respect, as with the NRA in the USA. Sadly I think we are now further away from that ideal than ever before.

BASC have been great when I needed them with licensing issues - they know their stuff, were very helpful and got things sorted both by giving me advice and taking an issue up with the licensing authorities. I'm also a member of the CA as I support their work in trying to get the stupid hunting ban overturned. Wouldn't go to them though for advice on shooting matters.

After the CA stood on TV during the fox hunting debate and said that shooting foxes was cruel,

Too many have forgotten that fact. I told BASC why I would not sign the petition against the ban which they asked us to do for that very reason. I was assured that BASC would make every effort to get further similar statements stopped but the CA carried on regardless.

And why it should be one united organisation with no selling out on any sport......... All are equally important, I understand why the ca made that call, but don't agree with it as it is shortsighted, its a valid argument for defending hunting but isn't really always true for shooting foxes (if done right) if we had only one massive organisation with joined up thinking we would be in a far better situation

And why it should be one united organisation with no selling out on any sport......... All are equally important, I understand why the ca made that call, but don't agree with it as it is shortsighted, its a valid argument for defending hunting but isn't really always true for shooting foxes (if done right) if we had only one massive organisation with joined up thinking we would be in a far better situation

Totally agree with this but too many noses in a couple of troughs for it to be viable I'm afraid. I'd be interested to know if any members here who have memberships of multi orgs would be interested in lobbying the same orgs to merge and see what sort of response we get (if any)