How Did Your Season Go ?

marsh man

It’s been a very mixed season for me. A good start with mallard, gadwall and teal on the first and plenty of mallard until mid season inland, but on my part of the N Norfolk coast they were few and far between. Never the less I had a good season for mallard. Plenty of teal from mid season but most have come from the coast as on my Broadland inland shooting over flashes they have a habit of coming in knee high in poor light , too low to get a good shot at and dangerous if you are shooting in company. Wigeon were notable by their absence both inland and on the coast. The big numbers never built as usual on the coast in October on my marsh and later when I usually get good numbers on my Broadland shoot they were few and far between. Overall my wigeon bag was down by 75% at least. I shot about half the number of duck I would expect to in an average season.

As for pinks, apart from one moonlight flight on the coast in October at the pinks they were hard to get to terms with and number were a fraction of a decade ago. I did better on the Broads with some great flights. Greylag were about average though I did have bad luck one morning in the Broads with flight after flight over me , but my gun went wrong after bagging the first one. Overall my best year for the past 3 years for geese.

Still a few days to go before the end of the season and we are starting to see a few mallard and teal moving through on the coast on their return migration.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reading between the lines most of the reports were around average , some done better than others but it can vary from area to area , where one or two said it was a decent season for Mallard , I would say it was not as good as the last few years and compared to some of the years of old when we shot more Mallard than any other duck , one year the three farmers who own the land near mine all grew Barley and the stems were longer and narrower then so with the first heavy rain or thunderstorm when it was in a milky stage would knocked it down nearly flat , Once the duck found it they came from all directions and from late afternoon onwards there were hundreds coming in , this carried on until it cut ,but a lot came back on the stubbles which was then in season and me and my brother would set a limit of 10 each and three times I shot that amount and stopped shooting any more as we didn't have a freezer then and with the heat in September they don't keep to long .

Now with all the flight ponds about and the heavy feeding going on I dong think we will ever see numbers like that again .

I have had a really enjoyable season. I have shot almost 50 geese and killed almost 30 ducks. I must admit i was concentrating far more on geese in the early part of the season and leaving the ducks alone. I am promising myself to redress the balance somewhat for next season.

I've watched the sun rise on seven different marshes around the country ,watched geese in the hundreds lift over my head watched waders display feet away a hen harrier nearly take my head off , for me it's not a numbers game it's being there the bag is a bonus.

my season was absolutly bloody awfull..

after a dissapointing season last year due to a gun i couldnt get on with (i will NEVER buy a benelli again!) i had high hopes for this year as i bought a new gun in the summer and had done plenty of pigeon and crow shooting to get used to it before septemeber and found i shot really well with it, or at least well for me which isnt that good :lol:

1st september out early got a goose before 6am, moved to a new ground our club has and had a duck, out again on the 6th september and got a couple of geese so my season was off to a cracking start

then a couple of days after fell and broke my coccyx while out foxing... so my wildfowling season was as good as over. have done a few evenings on local ponds but they left me in so much pain i havent done them in months and have walked a decent river on one of my perms and had ducks

was REALY hoping to have gone up next friday but after having done two trips today to a new permission a half hour away i know theres no way i could spend three and a half hours each way in a car going upto north wales so seasons well and truly over :(

highlight of my shooting the past year or so was my wildfowling on the 6th septmeber, my mate and i where in the hide watching the geese flight over a hundred or so yards down the marsh so he moved down there and i being lazy stayed in the hide... for some reason without him even firing a shot it all changed and they came over the railway line behind me straight over the top... hundreds where to high but a few where in range and i dropped a couple with some lovely shots... seeing that manay canadas coming straight for me i was like a giggling kid... goose fever really kicked in, so much so i missed some others i should have easily had.

Edited by kiffy

I've watched the sun rise on seven different marshes around the country ,watched geese in the hundreds lift over my head watched waders display feet away a hen harrier nearly take my head off , for me it's not a numbers game it's being there the bag is a bonus.

Summed up perfectly :good:

I dont think any wildfowler treats it as a numbers game or they would almost certainly be disappointed , but ultimately it is what has gone in the bag which shows how successful the season has been.

I agree with you up to a point Biddy , its not a numbers game , but if I am truthful when I leave my house night after night and the odd mornings in all the different weather conditions I go in, and I mean in whatever the weather is rain , sleet , fog , ect, as last season not once did it stop me going , my main reason I am going is to try and put something in the bag

If we are talking about numbers, I most probably went down the marsh with my gun getting on towards a 100 times , out of that more than half were blanks and breaking it down again over half of the rest were 2 or less , my biggest bag of geese were 4 and my best bag of duck were 6 ( which I only done once ) so as you can see its not a big numbers game.

You do see sights that a lot of people will never see and in over 50 years of dedicated fowling there isn't many sights I haven't seen , from nearly standing on a Bitten , watching Spoonbills feeding 20yds in front of your gun punt , Barn Owl trying to land on your head while standing in a reed bed , Black Swans , Cranes , the list goes on and on , but to me that's the bonus as the reason I am there is to try and get a duck or goose and not to see the different things I have just mentioned .

I have always found traditional wildfowling a challenge and as you know you have to work hard for small rewards and if you or any one else posted they got a few duck or geese while flighting on the sand banks , saltings , marshes or wherever they do there fowling I would be one of the first to congratulate you because I know how hard it is to get that sort of bag and anything else of interest you saw while you were there was a added bonus.

I've watched the sun rise on very MANY MORNINGS ,watched geese in the THOUSANDS lift over my head watched waders display feet away a hen harrier nearly take my head off , for me it's not a numbers game it's being there the bag is a bonus.

Until I do my bag returns I have no idea what I shot. The freezer seems fairly full though. The quote by Biddy, above, sums it all up for me. I have changed it to suit my memories of this season.

If, at my advanced age, I can still get out then I have no complaints. Getting a shot is a bonus. Getting a bird is the icing.

If I can still get out next season then I will be happy - Very happy. I know I am fighting the clock but I will fight as long as I am able.

I made two new fowling friends this season - Graham and Jim - and look forward to being able to visit my old stomping grounds, The Wash, with them next year. I will be reminding you chaps.

It's the getting out there that matters - Not the bag.

Yes, it was a good season - they all were.

Just thinking about it, I've no idea of my total bag for the season, under 10 I suspect for 35ish trips I believe. Getting something in the bag is a bonus for me, I just like being out there, watching the marsh wake up in the mornings, hearing the first curlew, see the vague shape of a teal whizzing past in the half light and then the sound of the pinks lifting off the mud, never fails to get my heart racing.

Two more flights on the 20th then it's the long wait until the first! Plenty of dog training to do in that time.

Mine was pretty average this year, I struggled with a new gun for three quarters of the season, that and seeming to be in the wrong place time and time again. Some of that was to avoid the masses, finding out that someone is sitting 20 yards away from you when dawn breaks (and that person blazing at every goose to come near him) has made me look for alternative places on the marsh.

I remember every bird that has found it's way into the bag this season, so that must count for something.

Overall the geese did their best not to fly near me, and the duck just didn't show in any great numbers.

I will still do it again next year.

I've had a decent season and had a mixed bag. Put in quite a bit of time and been rewarded for that. I've had the pleasure of taking out Old Farrier and his friend John. Richie10 and shootgun. Also three guys from the Crown shoot (paul223. Paul and philmypower). It's was a pleasure to take you guys. I also met Ben (grandalph) and Charles on a trip into norfolk, thanks again for taking us. For any young wildfowler reading this people like Ben are a role model to our sport. I have also had the displeasure of meeting a few John Wayne types too. Hopefully they are already bored with the sport and decided to try something different. Kamikaze pilot is fun if you are one of those aforementioned. So its been a good season.

Just thinking about it, I've no idea of my total bag for the season, under 10 I suspect for 35ish trips I believe. Getting something in the bag is a bonus for me, I just like being out there, watching the marsh wake up in the mornings, hearing the first curlew, see the vague shape of a teal whizzing past in the half light and then the sound of the pinks lifting off the mud, never fails to get my heart racing.

Two more flights on the 20th then it's the long wait until the first! Plenty of dog training to do in that time.

If it helps , you told me two , one Pink and one Teal :good:

I agree its the atmosphere , sights and sounds of wildfowling that make the sport so exciting. Having said that its nice to put a bird or two in the bag. Perhaps i find the best enjoyment in outwitting the birds. Working how the wind , tide and weather will effect the quarry and when you get it right it makes the day and when you get it wrong just log it and put it down to experiance , but do not forget it. The memory may well come in useful in the future. Wildfowling is a little more predictable inland , but to be successful regulary you still need to be able to read what the birds will do.

I always suspect in any club 75% of the birds are shot by 10% of the members who have a wide experiance and know how to put that knowledge to good use. Skill with the gun is important too , but you need to be in the right place at the right time. It amazes me the number of fowlers who have a good flight at one spot and return time and time in the hopes of a repete bag but unless the weather and tides are the same its ulikely they will have such good luck again.

I guess I am lucky in that 25 years ago I was able to arange my work around my wildfowling rather than the other way around , plus much of my work is looking at wildfowl. This has given me the time on my coastal marsh to observe the fowl and understand at least in part why the birds are doing what they do and how to get within range. Today was a good example . We have had little rain for weeks , the inland flashes are all but dried up. At this time of year the duck are looking to migrate back across the North Sea so do not want to wander to distant inland marshes that are likely to be quite dry anyway. The wind for the past few days has been east or south east so they are not likley to want to fight the wind and cross to mainland Europe , so the most likely place to find them is on the local saltmarsh and so it proved and the marsh was alive with teal. In contrast last February was wet and we had mainly mild west winds. many duck left early onmigration and those that were still here were on the inland flooding..

All in all. A very enjoyable season... Having moved to a new area a couple of years ago means learning new marshes and I have visited and tried to learn the less popular ones this year with some success.

Ducks were few and far between but made. up for with Canada's.

It wasn't until the back end of the season that the widgets turned up and they have proved warier than before

Although the bag may be smaller, the enjoyment and love of being on the foreshore is as strong as ever.

Hope to get out on the last day for a morning flight and possibly an evening as well :-)

Edited by nic

Got out up the Wash again, this time successfully with Ayano3, a very decent chap indeed.

On my club marsh I did 33% better than last year. Putting my first foreshore geese on my list in the form of 3 Canadas.

Really need to get myself a dog as even though I do pick 99% of anything I have shot it restricts where I what birds I can attempt to shoot.

Overall a very good season for me.

thanks

First season for me and thoroughly enjoyed it, can't remember how many flights but average 4-5 mornings a week, had plenty of duck but a lot more blanks, always seem to be in wrong place for the geese(missed a good few when I was in right place too).. Ended the season with a week in wigtown... Amazed at amount of geese,spectacular at daw but also peed off at the ****,s that shoot at sky high birds... Managed to bag two so ended happily... Looking forward to September