How Did Your Season Go ?

marsh man

Not too bad a season for me, it started off really well, as it always does, then started to tail off.

I haven't finished my duck return yet, but I think I may have made 20 foreshore duck this season. I am happy with that, I have visited the grounds the most I ever have have this season, it's amazing when you go time and time again start to think what am I doing, I haven't seen a duck for 6-7 visits, then you bag one and all the blank visits are forgtten!

First proper season out with the dog too, he has made it even more enjoyable. I had my last flight last Tuesday I wanted to go for an evening flight, but couldn't make it, I fluffed a chance at a pair of mallard that came perfectly into the decoys but I was texting my mate back who was asking how I was doing, typical. But I did manage a pair of teal which finished the season off nicely!

post-51022-0-89877200-1424679504_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fal

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not too bad a season for me, it started off really well, as it always does, then started to tail off.

I haven't finished my duck return yet, but I think I may have made 20 foreshore duck this season. I am happy with that, I have visited the grounds the most I ever have have this season, it's amazing when you go time and time again start to think what am I doing, I haven't seen a duck for 6-7 visits, then you bag one and all the blank visits are forgtten!

First proper season out with the dog too, he has made it even more enjoyable. I had my last flight last Tuesday I wanted to go for an evening flight, but couldn't make it, I fluffed a chance at a pair of mallard that came perfectly into the decoys but I was texting my mate back who was asking how I was doing, typical. But I did manage a pair of teal which finished the season off nicely!

Lovely looking dog your got there Fal , and a nice way for you and your dog to finish your season off .

WHY !!!! Now not looking to get into a Bun Fight about Goose numbers shot But IMHO Goose meat is very good and has many many uses. Here is just a few I use . Goose Mince for Shepherd Pie- Spaghetti Bolagnasse or anything you use Beef mince for

Goose chunks for Currys-Pies- Stew again replace Beef with Goose meat

Goose Breast stuff with chestnut stuffing wrap with bacon - Goose Keiv to name 2

Goose meat Sausages - Burgers etc

and Plain roast Goose

I've been slated in the past and probably will in the future for daring to shoot more than than the mysterious number of SIX Geese.

If they are NOT being wasted and being made Good use of what's the problem !!!!

Nobody seems to moan about the amount of Chicken Beef Pork or lamb eaten and I would imagine if the 122 Pinks was 122 Duck or Pigeon again I don't think there would be any problems.

As for my season started with a Goose or 2 ended with a Goose and plenty in between. But my highlights was my Grandson first season shooting a 12gaand seeing him shoot many Firsts hopefully next season will see more of the same.

Firstly' i have been fowling long enough to know that Fowlers have all different opinions on different aspects of the Sport and all will take there own type of pleasures. For some it will be the big bags,others will appreciate the natural beauty of their surroundings and an odd shot or two..For others the peace and quite and for others it is a mixture of some of these things.

I' like the person I am quoting dont want to get into a argument about bag numbers' it has been done over and over again and it wont change..What is acceptable for one' wont be for another.

For what its Worth' I wouldnt dream of shooting that many geese in a season' even if i had the Chance too. If i was able to shoot that many geese in a season' then it would come across as all to easy and not really what fowling is about for me.But thats just me. Everyman has his own way of going mad as they Say.

The reason I am quoting the above post is that' although I think I can see where the poster is coming from and would agree with him to an extent.

The way i see it' from what you are saying' It is more Justifying Shooting/killing Wild animals/birds and using them as a food source' and rightly so..I would agree..!!

What i would not agree with' and is what I find not a very Sound or valid point' is comparing Domesticated animals such as Pigs,Chickens,Sheep and Cattle ect that are produced/bred on an industrial

scale for Human Consumption' to that of Wild Birds. Wildfowl numbers depend on many factors from year to year to be successful and I would fear that if every shooter was to take "Given the opportunity of course" to take large seasonal bags' then it would only be a matter of time before it affected there numbers. "As Forest Gump would Say" Thats all I have to say about that.

As for my Season, well due to a number of reasons I could not get out nowhere near as much as i would have liked,However When I did manage to get out for a few flights' i appreciated the Quite time and manged a few Fowl for myself and others which went down well as a seasonal treat.

It would be a boring old world if we all had the same views on everything , for my part I would not be comfortable shooting them to feed to the dog , but then I can feed mine for free if I really needed to .

I can see where a carcass can be utilised for feeding having been breasted out

At the end of the day the only people we have to justify things to is ourselves , I stopped shooting geese on one occasion as I had as many as I knew what to do with , another shooter may have a higher limit knowing how many they can deal with

Fortunately I now have a queue of people at work wanting a free goose so I could shoot a bag limit without having much of a dilema .

Undoubtedly my best season ever as the Broad was excellent with my nephew enjoying his first teal and first shoveller both off the Broad and watching him clean kill a long crossing wigeon that another boat had wounded was one of the highlights. Early season was easily the best for many years with good numbers of mallard about. Had 3 cracking moon flights, one of which I dropped my first and only triple at Pinks. The highlight was watching 20 plus Great Cranes flying about at South Walsham in October - saw them a few weeks later at Horsey. Not many Canadas about this year but had a chance on the last day of the inland season but the shot went wide. Only saw one skein of Whitefront so I think we are a due an influx next year after 2 quiet years for them and in Norfolk it just didn't get cold enough to push the birds off the ponds on to the rivers. Had the last day on a new marsh with a massive tide in the morning and a bigger one in the evening with more Brent kronking about than any other species but great fun watching them come into the teal decoys. Pinks were in early this year but they seemed to head back early for some reason.