New ESS Pup

popa bear

Hi all just taken on a ESS pup 3 weeks ago.I"m going to have a go at training him myself god help me I"ve got a decent book on training spaniels and I have owned spaniels before but never trained them as gun dogs.My daughter has two labs that I have trained up to a half decent level of retrieving but when all is said and done they are her dogs. Anyway I know not to ruin him by starting to young and being to aggressive with his training he is already showing positive signs doing some retrieving in the house ,sitting to the hand and returning to the whistle.I will let you know how we get on regards the Bear :good::yahoo:

a little tip, how old is the ESS ?

don't do too much with him/her , mine is 22 months old now and just finished his first season, I was repeatedly told don't do this and don't do that ,

in the end I trained him nearly every day 2 times a day for 10-15mins since he was 6 months old, I introduced him to gunsound at the clay ground,

at 15 months introduced him to the hide and he loved it, don't get me wrong he,s not perfect but he does what he,s told and also retrieves perfect and even into water which he did himself, he just wants to please all the time,

don't rush but the best piece of advice I can give is, Teach him one thing at a time and DONT move on until he knows what you are teaching him totally,

don't use treats as I didn't with mine yet my buddy did with his and his dog will not do anything without a treat now ,

most of all enjoy your time bonding together because for me its been as good as watching my kids being born,,truelly amazing,

here he is sitting happy after working

shootingwestonwithlesandarchie008_zps954

he has become my best friend so enjoy your time training him/her it will be worth it in the end

Ditto the above. It can be tempting to rush training, especially with a promising pup but one step at a time, make 110% sure the dog knows a stage before moving on. Also it's helpful to remember that dogs don't generalise too well so always train each thing in different places and situations before being satisfied that the Eureka moment wasn't a fluke lol

Edited by bigbird

I said I had him 3 weeks ago you noggin not he was 3 weeks old be pretty special to retrieve in the house and respond to the whistle at 3 weeks old LOL he is 13 weeks old Wednesday just for you I will up load a picky as soon as I can get him to stay still and get a good one.He is still going forward all the time and judging him by my terrier he has gone up nearly 3 inches in three weeks have to stop feeding the little bu**er :lol::yes::good:

Edited by popa bear