the dreaded mixy

bumpy22

with the mild winters of recent times the nets are used until the end of feb. but this year we have really struggled since Christmas with mixy. today was our last day and virtually all the patches were cleared or infected by mixy. worst I have seen here.

so how did the rest of you boys get on with the ferrets/mixy this year?

we haven't seen any up until this last weekend and we saw one loner siting out in the middle of a field, poor blighter. I got the glass out to view what it was and I could see that it was in a bad way so the son in law diverted acoss to dispatch it. I think that there would have been a chance that it would have gotten over it had it been left. it seemed in good condition bodily and it's eyes weren't totally shut which probably acounted for it's survival and condition up to that point.

we haven't seen any up until this last weekend and we saw one loner siting out in the middle of a field, poor blighter. I got the glass out to view what it was and I could see that it was in a bad way so the son in law diverted acoss to dispatch it. I think that there would have been a chance that it would have gotten over it had it been left. it seemed in good condition bodily and it's eyes weren't totally shut which probably acounted for it's survival and condition up to that point.

I didn,t think they could get over it,,thats a new one on me, can they really get over mixy once they have caught it, every rabbit I,ve ever seen with mixy even in the early stages has looked like it was really suffering, its a terrible thing for them to go through and gives me great pleasure putting them out of the misery they are suffering

Oh yeah, definately. Sometimes we have seen them and the scabs and loss of hair around the face and ears is noticable but they sometimes do get over it. It is no diferent to us getting the common cold. sometimes everyone in the house has had a cold and it hasn't affected me and I haven't had it and also the reverse where I have had a really bad snorter of a cold and yet the wife (Cant get much closer) hasn't got it. There has always been a situation where certain individuals get over virus atack until the virus mutates in another form and that's the constant battle with imune systems. This is why doctors are not prescribing so many antibiotics because some viruses are getting imune to them and then we wont have any kind of back up defence. Read up ( Spanish flue ) (Asian flue ) (H1N5 bird flue)on Wikipedia that is frightening.

just goes to show you learn something new every day :good:

just been reading about it and found this

""If an unvaccinated rabbit catches myxomatosis and develops the full-blown classic form of the disease, survival is very unusual, even with intensive nursing and treatment with antibiotics to prevent secondary bacterial infection. Most affected pets in this situation are put to sleep as soon as the diagnosis is made, to prevent futile suffering.""

Edited by evo

I'd say that it is as much the secondary problems that kill more than the actual disease. I’ve seen the poor blighters with heads that are just a pus ball and eyes that have burst, they've got no chance of survival I think that it is down to infection caused by scratching and impact with stuff because they cant see where they are going and most have lost a lot of condition and are as thin as a rake probably due to not being able to feed any sense. I remember that one-year on the farm in the summer that there were so many dead laying about that the foxes didn't even clear then up before they were a mass of maggots. Terrible disease.

PS. I have known it where the rabbits on one side of a field are untouched or only slightly and the other side of the field has been wiped out. nature is just plain cruel sometimes/ most of the time. survival of the fittest. A fight to the death. For what purpose?

Edited by fortune

I find it strange that in areas where rabbits do some damage and it is not possible to get at them to control them, like a railway enbankment full of bramble, myxi seems to come and go in regular intervals.

yep makes you think