Buying a car from Northern Ireland?

sandspider

Hi all.just wondering if anyone's bought a car from NI recently? I've found quite a nice looking car at a reasonable price, and the owner is willing to deliver it to me. However, I'm wondering, will I have trouble with mot, tax, insurance, v5 etc.? Might the car be mapped for different octane fuels in NI? I believe the NI number plate is legal across the UK, though I might change it to a mainland plate anyway. Any other pitfalls with buying a car from NI?

I'd like to see it beforehand, but if I buy it on the spot can I just drive it back to the mainland? Again I think there might be difficulties with insurance, addresses on V5s etc. Have I got this right?

Cheers.

I have tried googling, but it mainly comes up with out of date forum posts or government web sites that only say that a NI numberplate is legal on the mainland...

Brought my car over from n.i when I moved. Just filled in the paperwork in v5 when arrived here to change the adress on v5 and they did the rest. Ask if you want to change plate, but a n.i plate hides age of car and people think they are private regs. Just check with your insurance you are covered in n.i, most give you 30days as part of UK/ Europe cover incase you want to drive to dublin and back on the ferry that way.

There's really nothing to worry about. You will need to be insured on the vehicle if you buy it and drive it back obviously, but if you buy the car you will have to tax it again as tax is no longer transferable. You will be given the option to change the plates or keep them.

• 2 weeks later...