FUDS vs shells ?

rich1984

cosd - Please don't go to any trouble. Just wondered if the 1mm chosen thickness came about after experimentation or this is what you had hanging around in the shed

I have Now got some 1,1.5 and 3mm rod and will have a play on flexibility with thickness and height.

Thanks again for re posting the mod

All the best

No problem at all.

Rods are in fact 3.2mm in diameter.

Apologies for that terrible guesstimate!!!!

No problem at all.

Rods are in fact 3.2mm in diameter.

Apologies for that terrible guesstimate!!!!

No probelm - thanks for taking the time to clarify the point. Had a play with rods at weekend as it was breezy and the 3mm work well. now setting about removing the stakes from all the decoys now I have a prototype

Thanks again for your help

i have got some fud`s

and then i brought these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Neo-Pro-Pigeon-Decoy-Professional-Neoprene-Shooting-Lightweight-Moving-Kit-A1-/350840924827?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51afbfaa9b

i think these look as good as fud`s but you do not have to spend the time folding them to set up

just set upthe same as shells

I have found FUDs to be more attractive to pigeons than shells. I bought 6 last year ,used them at seed time and twice on stubble, so maybe 10 outings in total. I was amazed when buying a further half dozen to see how much faded the first six were in comparison. Big advantage for me is they are more stable in strong winds than shell decoys. Downside they take a little more time to set up from fully folded position.

Blackpowder

The difference in colour on the fud's is the difference between the hen (darker ones) and the cock birds.

It says on the fold up tabs that go underneath..

Have done the mod on a few of mine with 1.5 mm stainless steel tig welding rods, works great, a little movement in a breeze.

Going to do the other 20 with 3mm welding rods soon..

• 2 weeks later...

Just gone back to FUDS as shells were Blowing over in the wind, bought 30 Fuds and cut the heavy red spike off,Orderd 3.2 mm cheapo welding rods after trying one i had in the garage.£8.00 for 50 should also give them a bit of extra height as well a lighten the weight.

No probelm - thanks for taking the time to clarify the point. Had a play with rods at weekend as it was breezy and the 3mm work well. now setting about removing the stakes from all the decoys now I have a prototype

Thanks again for your help

No worries mate.

Happy to help.

Cos

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to pigeon decoying and have just bought a dozen FUDS just to get me started.. Just a general question, what would be a good number of decoys to put out. Will the dozen I bought get me off to some sort of a start initially? I guess in terms of types of decoys its a case of trial and error and listening to other shooters for advice on forums like this one.

Thanks,

Andy.

Went out today for the first time decoying. Unfortunately the crops where too tall to get a proper go with FUDs. Having siad that I found a very small clearing within the crop quite near a hedgerow. I put out 6 of the decoys, not to overcrowd the clearing, set up a hide and although not very visible from the air they still brought in some pigeons. Not as many as I would of liked but for my first time with such heavy cover, I was pleased.

Really looking forward to when the crops are cut.

Went out today for the first time decoying. Unfortunately the crops where too tall to get a proper go with FUDs. Having siad that I found a very small clearing within the crop quite near a hedgerow. I put out 6 of the decoys, not to overcrowd the clearing, set up a hide and although not very visible from the air they still brought in some pigeons. Not as many as I would of liked but for my first time with such heavy cover, I was pleased.

Really looking forward to when the crops are cut.

Maybe worth adding one of the cheaper alternatives for tall crop purchase a bouncer/floater or two, add a couple of hypaflaps if you have no way of retaining a cpl of shot birds to use on them.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thanks cosd. great idea done 6 of my fuds on saturday with bbq rods about 10 inches high for a try. worked a treat. just thin enough for a bit of movement in the wind and high enough for the barley stubble with 6 shells too shot 50+ will be doing the rest. i have 20 flocked shells 15 chris greens full body 15 fuds, i keep coming back to fuds and a few shells to give an over head perspective.