larsen trap

ShootingEgg

Got home last night to a very smug mother... last year i built a larsen trap as we had a stupid amount of magpies. Yesterday i get home to find it got put out yesterday as there were a few about. A soft shelled egg from the chickens had been put in and within an hour she had one in the trap.. She was very happy with herself... Then asked me to.do the honours...

It is a little early for calling? Thought it was more spring mating season time, when theybwould be fighting for territory ? and also the mother didn't want to feed it... So id rather not starve it.

Last year i picked up close to 30 in a three week period. So will be using a call bird soon...

Edited by ShootingEgg

they nest a lot earlier than all the rest so they can prey upon the other nesting birds early. middle of march is best to start.

once they stop catching move the cage. you will be surprised by just moving the cage to a different position not far away, it will start catching again.

Edited by bumpy22