fox to pigeon shotgun ?

Daz Harrison

If you are not going to use it on a formal game shoot then a 3 shot semi (Beretta or Banelli) have a lot going for them.

Fox wants a big load of big shot at close range, once you get to 36gr thats about the limit of a good lot of O/Us and less for most SBSs.

A

Really? At close range any load will do for a fox. I would have said that 42gram would be more like the limit for a 2 3/4" chambered gun. A chamber of that size is perfectly adequate for pigeon or fox.

Really? At close range any load will do for a fox. I would have said that 42gram would be more like the limit for a 2 3/4" chambered gun. A chamber of that size is perfectly adequate for pigeon or fox.

Would not a 23/4 chambered gun need to be magnum proofed for a 42gm load? You don't really need a canon for pigeon shooting and a 36gm load of the right shot size for the range is perfectly adequate.

Would not a 23/4 chambered gun need to be magnum proofed for a 42gm load? You don't really need a canon for pigeon shooting and a 36gm load of the right shot size for the range is perfectly adequate.

You could well be right about the magnum proof. I agree, 36gm is enough for a fox.

I shot a fox, standing front on at 25 yards with 30gr of 5s, it went down, I dropped another in, looked up and it was trying to get away, I gave it another one, then another finisher at 10 yards. Three well centered shots at fairly close range using 5 shot Eley or maybe Hull cartridges.

YES i have seen foxes killed with 28gr loads but I have seen a lot more wounded, one of the first foxes I ever shot was with a 28gr Gyttorp cartridge but it was ultra full choke at at about 25 yards. Had a single barrel at the time so it got what was up the spout.

Now if its a fox and I only have a shotgun to hand then its 25 yards max with 36gr load of BBs, I carry one for the job.

A

Edited by Alycidon