pigeon magnet advice wanted

nderfel

hi all,

I am going to be using a magnet for the first time this weekend, a bit of advice would be good...

does the 7amp battery that comes with it power it for a full afternoons decoying?

do you guys hide the battery at all or just have it underneath? do you cover up the battery if it rains?

I was going to put the magnet off to one side of the usual decoy pattern, any advice on placement would be good too!

thanks in advance

Nick

This will help with placement: http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/153348-setting-a-pigeon-decoy-pattern/.

Don't be afraid to move the rotary if you don't think it's working. Sometimes birds want to land on top of it, but if it just brings them into your standing pattern that's good enough.

I do hide my battery, but avoid pulling up crop to do it.

If it's a sunny day, be aware of glare off the rotating arms; it can be a highly effective bird scarer. Maybe wipe a little mud where you see glare?

Hard to say if your battery will last all afternoon. It rather depends on the rotary you own. A spare battery or two can always be found in my truck.

Enjoy your day and good luck. Let us know how you get on.

7 amp new battery or in very good condition will do it...however it is the minimum really...assuming dead birds mounted 7 amp struggles eventually and certainly older batteries soon wont do more than couple of hours either take a spare or even better to get 17amp+...I usually keep it 4 yards away(length of wire) and cover it or keep it in old cartridge bag with velcro top type...if you put it underneath you will get a whirling pigeon in yer 'ear-ole' when you turn it on.

If your definition of usual decoy pattern is a U or v I would have rotary at head of pattern...obviously pattern direction dictated by wind if any on the day...be prepared to turn it off ..some days they are great and pigeons literally try to land on it other days they can put 'em off.At this time of year though and if on big patches of rape likely to be a big help.All best.

I use a small car battery " 50amp hour" . I place the rotary close to the hide and to one side depending on wind direction. I have made a long lead up so battery can be in my hide. Full bodied flocked decoys are placed further out. This works well most of the time znd had birds trying to land on the rotary. Ocationally when the rotary is not working I stop it and lower the arms fully down as so as to give the appearance the birds are on the ground.

Try having the battery as far from the rotary as the cord will allow and place a shell decoy on top of it. I try not to have the rotary too close to the pattern as I think some pigeons are spooked by it if they get too close to it, although by then they should be close enough to confidently shoot anyway. But trial and error is the best way to learn

I use a small car battery " 50amp hour" . I place the rotary close to the hide and to one side depending on wind direction. I have made a long lead up so battery can be in my hide. Full bodied flocked decoys are placed further out. This works well most of the time znd had birds trying to land on the rotary. Ocationally when the rotary is not working I stop it and lower the arms fully down as so as to give the appearance the birds are on the ground.

Try having the battery as far from the rotary as the cord will allow and place a shell decoy on top of it. I try not to have the rotary too close to the pattern as I think some pigeons are spooked by it if they get too close to it, although by then they should be close enough to confidently shoot anyway. But trial and error is the best way to learn

I place the battery just outside the diameter of the rotating arms, too long a cable will spoil the performance of the battery!

cheers all.

I am excited to report that after a day out with the magnet we shot a grand total of....wait for it... 3 pigeons :)

the crops has been sprayed off on the entire farm last week and basically there was nowt flying about

next time...

thanks for your advice though

I place the battery just outside the diameter of the rotating arms, too long a cable will spoil the performance of the battery!

yes and too short cable leads to ear ache :)

I have never bothered too much about hiding the battery but I do give them a coat of matt green paint

How many times have you hit your head now then, it's starting to have an adverse effect!

I only had to do it the once before I learnt to put the battery further out from the magnet , it surprising how much a battery propelled pigeon to the side of the head hurts :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I made a camo waterproof battery cover with an old goretex army mitt that was lying in my cupboard fits neatly over a small 7ah battery, before that I put a cheap camo buff type neck tube (2 quid from ebay) round it..... Like the shell decoy suggestion too.