Is it better to use a credit card to buy a car

fielddweller

Google 'charge back', 2 yrs after a firms warranty company went bust, I was able to charge the majority of the cost back because I'd paid part with a credit card.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply

I've just had a look and it's seems that you get the same cover from chargeback on a visa debit card (which is what I have) as that of a credit card.

Much appreciated

Fielddweller

Have you asked the dealer whether or not they take credit cards on vehicle purchases?

The last time I bought a car, the dealer would not take a credit card (I wanted to ramp up my air-miles), but happily accepted my debit card.

Presumably to avoid excessive charges

Just do the deposit then - TBH this is the main reason they won't take credit cards - because of the rights that it gives you as laid out in the Consumer Credit Act.....Something that you don't get with a Debit Card

If a dealer refuses to take even a deposit on a CC I would seriously consider walking away from the deal. Don't forget that they also get charged for accepting payment by a debit card - here is a good link for the difference on a £100 - look towards the bottom - only 70p difference.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cardsloans/article-2363930/Why-pay-use-credit-debit-card.html

The dealers don't like anything that can be used to give you the upper hand in any (and I hasten to add - valid) dispute with them over the car.

I have found that in this country that the more expensive an item is - the less rights you have under law to support you - House, Car etc (NHBC is not really worth the paper it is written on - car dealers will fight you tooth and nail)

Steve

Edited by discobob

Just do the deposit then - TBH this is the main reason they won't take credit cards - because of the rights that it gives you as laid out in the Consumer Credit Act.....Something that you don't get with a Debit Card

If a dealer refuses to take even a deposit on a CC I would seriously consider walking away from the deal. Don't forget that they also get charged for accepting payment by a debit card - here is a good link for the difference on a £100 - look towards the bottom - only 70p difference.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cardsloans/article-2363930/Why-pay-use-credit-debit-card.html

The dealers don't like anything that can be used to give you the upper hand in any (and I hasten to add - valid) dispute with them over the car.

I have found that in this country that the more expensive an item is - the less rights you have under law to support you - House, Car etc (NHBC is not really worth the paper it is written on - car dealers will fight you tooth and nail)

Steve

Steve many thanks for your input I do appreciate it.

I went back to the garage yesterday for a second look and a test drive,it's only a smallish garage and the owner took me out.

We were having a nice chat and I mentioned my worries and my idea of a credit card payment ,he said if I paid the full amount it would affect our price negotiations.He then suggested to pay the deposit on cc and the balance on debit to calm my fears,finished the drive had a tea and fixed a price .

Happy days (hopefully)

Once again thanks for your efforts.

Fielddweller

When you buy anything on a credit card as its credit the company providing it are buying it and you are paying them back, this means the credit card company are equally liable with you, I buy everything in my credit card for that reason alone and pay it off as soon as the bill arrives, it's like free insurance and probably annoys the **** out of capital one as they haven't made a bean from me in ten years now for using their service which amounts to well over 100k :-)

Dad had issues with an astra convertible. He brought it on his credit card as advised by a few people. The car went tits up and had issue with it and the dealer the card company (tescos ) after alot of phone calls to several authorities in the know. The card company weren't interested what so ever.

Dad had issues with an astra convertible. He brought it on his credit card as advised by a few people. The car went tits up and had issue with it and the dealer the card company (tescos ) after alot of phone calls to several authorities in the know. The card company weren't interested what so ever.

TBH I have heard that Tesco are a bit lapse towards their responsibilities in the past. Your Dad should have raised a dispute with them, await their letter stating that they can go no further and take it up with the ombudsman.

Glad to see that the OP has come to an agreement with the car dealer

Steve

I thought a lot of Debit cards now a days were backed by credit card companies, I know my own personal one is a Debit, Credit Card with Mastercard wrote on it.

I would presume that this would hold the same security as using my normal Mastercard Credit Card. Although i could be wrong

everything costing more than £100 should be bought with accredit card, pay it off at the end of the month and it`s cost you no more than paying cash and the consumer credit act kicks in, dual liability then can, and usually does, work in your favour, you just need to know your rights

I believe that debit cards are NOT covered by the Consumer Credit Act and are covered by the issuers own procedures - of which there is no comeback on if they say no

as Neil82 states - this should be done as a matter of fact but I do hate how a lot of companies add on a % charge for using cards - when as I highlighted earlier the charges are not that different

Cheers

Steve

Sub £100 your are covered more with a debit card

Over £100 credit card gives you more protection.

I have only had 1 incident where I attempted to claim on my credit card for a transaction. I purchased a laptop which was not as described and the seller refused to accept liability. My card issuer (Lloyds Mastercard) were not interested, they said they noted the case and I would need to sign some documents, they never arrived and no further correspondence. Luckily I had managed to make a claim elsewhere which forced the retailer to refund me but this was more down to luck than judgement! I would never rely on a CC again.