Advice from the PW Masters

jeffjjack

Complete novice to the pigeon shooting world, had limited days out throwing the decoys out and hoping for the best but below you will see a new permission that I have gained... the question is how would you go about shooting it?

Its on rape and they are predominantly feeding near the cross roads (clever little blighters). The flight line seems good with a good trickle of birds hitting the field from dinner onward.

My first thoughts were to set up at the top of the hill at the corner of the beet pad (surrounded by bails) but will they decoy up the hill? or setting up in the corner where they are feeding (in the middle of the field 50m from each road obvously) and shoot up the hill into the field?

Field1.bmp.jpg?psid=1

Any advice apreciated, Thanks

Jeff

Where about's are you based.

BASC have a number pigeon shooting courses on at the moment.

These courses are well worth attending

drop me a pm if you require any help

Thanks bakerboy,

I'm based in north Lincolnshire... the area that has a distinct lack of pigeons lol. There's only so much reading about it you can do before you need to do more doing. This new permission has given me a opportunity to get "doing" but (to me) it's not straight forward

http://1drv.ms/1Ewc7re

hopefully the link above should work

pigeons happily land on slopey parts no worries...the 50 yard rule is actually 50 feet..you can still shoot as long as not disturbing/disrupting users of the roads(see other posts @ shooting near roads).......but as you should avoid shot hitting the roads and dropping pigeons on cars I would set up at bottom of your field with back to minor road and shoot 'uphill' as it were......remember pigeons will look to land into wind so assuming wind direction as you show when shooting then you should be able to pull them in front of you and take safe shots into the hill/across field away from roads etc..

The parts of North Lincolnshire that I have been to of late have a lot of pigeons. I saw for instance a flock of 500 coming off a rape field near the football ground in ****thorpe and a lot of them perched in the trees in the middle of the roundabout near Tescos. There was a leucistic one amongst them.

One of the best flight lines I have ever seen was within two miles of that. I had ezibez with me and we both agreed it could have been a bumper day but the farm manager would not let us on.

On the north east side of ****thorpe towards Broughton those woods are full of birds. Look out for early drillings on that light soil.

By the way I am not a 'PW Master' just a keen observer.

Edited by JDog

The parts of North Lincolnshire that I have been to of late have a lot of pigeons. I saw for instance a flock of 500 coming off a rape field near the football ground in ****thorpe and a lot of them perched in the trees in the middle of the roundabout near Tescos. There was a leucistic one amongst them.

One of the best flight lines I have ever seen was within two miles of that. I had ezibez with me and we both agreed it could have been a bumper day but the farm manager would not let us on.

On the north east side of ****thorpe towards Broughton those woods are full of birds. Look out for early drillings on that light soil.

Yeah, thats the thing... I work on the steel works and the drive too and from the works are through woods and surrounding farm land that is covered with pigeons. All shot and covered by others.

My permission... farm land south of s****horpe has a distinct lack of them. I have been told that the area was heavy with them some ten years back but either the change in farming or some other factor has changed where they feed.

I am gaining new permission up on the wolds that I am hoping will give me some good days sport.

The advice you've been given is pretty spot on. Looking at your diagram, you could set up bottom right near the beet and draw them towards you but the wind direction wouldn't be ideal. Or set up near the X-roads so they come over your head along the flight line and turn to land into the wind.

As already mentioned - stay at least 50 feet from the centre of the highway and be aware of any public rights of way. You need to make sure you are only shooting in your permissions airspace (i.e not shooting over someone else's boundary and not dropping birds over boundries).

Maybe have a plan A and plan B so you've got options if things don't work out. Having a flightline with one's and two's is much better than a flock of 500 who s*d off after the first shot.

Good luck with it - every day is a school day!

Yeah, thats the thing... I work on the steel works and the drive too and from the works are through woods and surrounding farm land that is covered with pigeons. All shot and covered by others.

My permission... farm land south of *****horpe has a distinct lack of them. I have been told that the area was heavy with them some ten years back but either the change in farming or some other factor has changed where they feed.

I am gaining new permission up on the wolds that I am hoping will give me some good days sport.

My permission... farm land south of *****horpe has a distinct lack of them. I have been told that the area was heavy with them some ten years back but either the change in farming or some other factor has changed where they feed.

You must not call pigeon shooting "sport," it is crop protection.

legally you should not be saying that.

And nor should you.

It is not me it is the "law" :no:

I think you will find you can call it what you like as long as you are doing it for crop protection , so you can enjoy the sport of pigeon shooting for the purpose of crop protection or you can enjoy good sport while protecting crops .

Just a few picture from the day...

http://1drv.ms/1EmYZa3

http://1drv.ms/1EmZ0L8

http://1drv.ms/1EmZ65w

Thanks to all advice given, although not a great days shooting I enjoyed the day (although became blinking cold by the end of it) the farmer was happy and has invited me back when ever I like. Will look at some new tactics and have another go in the near future

Jeff

It's Deffo crop protection I was on rape today pitched on bottom of slope just by fav landing trees.cold as hell.a sw wind blowing...decoys out. Turned around to disentangle myself from briar! One landed in amongst decoys then flew off just as I was about to shoot!! Initial fav tree full of deeks not one came back. Thought they had gone to other field none there. Must have been on grass somewhere else. Farmer text me pm to say loads of them on aforementioned slope!!!!! Bloody typical

Try tomorrow