First Pcp?

Chrisyboy

Hello everyone,

I'd just like some advice and opinions, I have had air rifles and used them for a few years but they have all been spring or co2 but this year I was thinking of getting a Pcp but not a too expensive one I'd just like people onion o what I should look towards? Not to much but will still look the part and do the job,

King regards chris.

s200 or for a bit more get the s410 by air arms

another rifle I,ve been impressed with is the rotex r8 for the money its an accurate rifle and looks the part also,,if you want to remortgage the house then get the best A DAYSTATE,,

hatsan at44 is another very good low budget rifle also worth considering

Thank you the Rotex looks like a very nice gun to be honest pal might look into it some more

hogsreels peter on here has got one and all I can say is for £399 new they really are an accurate little thing, we went out last week and he was dropping ferals to 40yrds with ease,held its own against my daystate

haha, perhaps ;)

evo's given you some good guns really worth looking at. The only one I'd add to that is the BSA Ultra SE. inexpensive and really pretty decent guns. They shoot really well and have all the useful things, without costing the earth!

Even better if you can get hold of a regged one

Just had my se tenched and it's a match for any £1000 plus gun

Cheers

Garrick

is it and can you explain how,,i,m quite interested in this as I might buy one if they are that good

Well, it gets rid of that power curve, and gives you marginally more shots, although I have heard from Darrin at XTX-Air that it's not worth doing in a .177 as it takes too much space in the already small air tube so you lose a fair few shots.

You can send it off to be tuned and/or have a reg put in (XTX air will do a great job, as will Ratworks apparently, but I've got an XTX-tuned BSA with a tench reg and it's amazing!), £200 I think.

But XTX will also send you out a HuMa reg with DIY fit instructions. These are performing as well - if not better - than the tench ones and is £100 I think. You need to be able to strip your own rifle and remove the anti-tamper, but other than that it's apparently quite straightforward. The reg pressure is pre-set for the calibre.

Is it better than a £1000 gun? I'll let you and your flotilla of daystates decide that :P

iv also just entered the pcp world and as i had non of the stuff needed i bought a s/h hw100t in a complete package inc fill cylinder, a+m cylinder, scope etc - i even got a case for it :)

iv never had a pcp before so got nothing to compare it to so at the moment its the best air rifle in the world......ever..........obvs :lol:

Bit of a side note but take into consideration how easy the gun is to work on yourself. Some rifles such as the Rapids are very easy to work on and you can do a complete seal replacement yourself easily for less than £5.00. Once you start getting into regulators and Daystate territory you are talking big bucks for a full service and having to send the gun away (risk of damage) to be looked at. I know your budget is limited but I would always think about this aspect before purchasing anything. Of course if you are one of the lucky people with bottomless pockets then this would not be an issue.

Many thanks

the mechanical daystates are simple to work on ie the huntsman,ranger,regal,basically nearly all the mechanical ones, simple to service yourself and also keep the power in check but talking about the rapids , I would love to own one that had never been tinkered with, there are a few about but not many,

as an introduction to pcp,s after using the rotex r8 they really are a cracking rifle for the money and will take some beating, the one I used was .22 and was cloverleaf grouping to 45 yrds with h&n field target trophy,s. brilliant little rifle, only fault I found was they are a little front heavy but other than that a sharp shooter and for £399 new what more could you want,

chris I agree with you regarding xtx mate, best in business at what they do, but regards a cheap pcp and a £1000+ daystate my answer is if the cheap pcp,s were as good as the daystates and steyr,s of this world then how come they are not being used successfully on the FT circuit , there must be a reason for that, don't get me wrong I love the bsar10mk2 and it was as accurate as hell but why are they not being used for target shooting and when I say target shooting I mean top comp target shooting, I think it must be to do with consistency, I might be wrong though but I doubt it

s200 or for a bit more get the s410 by air arms

another rifle I,ve been impressed with is the rotex r8 for the money its an accurate rifle and looks the part also,,if you want to remortgage the house then get the best A DAYSTATE,,

hatsan at44 is another very good low budget rifle also worth considering

Hell's ruddy bells!

Ive a Walther R8 ...ultra reliable "excluding the inaccurate BSA made pressure gauge" -"under-reads by 10 bar ... not a single blockage/jam .. very constant power output, very accurate. . Great value, fine quality for the price, even if you added another £100 on the selling price ... but ! ... don't compare to a Daystate .. they're in an all together different league. Seiko & Rolex both good watches, but ultimately chalk and cheese ...