Gunning punt build

Doriboy

Now I had everything cleaned up, it was time to start skinning. The bottom to be 9mm, the sides and top to be 5.5mm. I started by clamping the 9mm on and tracing round. Then I cut the shape out with the jigsaw, leaving a bit extra to be planed down into shape. I also planed the inner edge to an angle, to meet snugly with the other side. The bottom is made up of four different pieces.

2889299B-A428-4F01-98B2-B89613111557_zps

AC3F74DB-5341-4E56-AC12-764760FD07CD_zps

I then planed down all around the edge, and started with the 5.5mm on the sides, making sure that all of the skin joints are in different places so I don't create any weak spots.

C5AC00B5-0BDB-4999-9473-6FBC00546C1B_zps

8EC7E143-9CD8-4AE2-A390-14A317B2D020_zps

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Of its hard to say how many hours really, all I can say is A LOT! I've worked on it every day since the 1st Sept, the plan being that it will be ready for 1st Sept 2015, giving me a year to complete it. As I'm sure you know there is just as much work, if not more in fitting it out, as there is getting it to this stage.

The only truly original bits are the keelson and chine logs. I did reuse the stem and stern blocks too, but these were heavily modified.

With all the decks on the next stage was to glass it. Wetting out the wood (as I did on the interior) with proper epoxy resin adds massive strength, to add to this I covered the exterior with woven strand matting.

8799E38D-B6BA-475D-A447-B0B9FC80AF14_zps

Unfortunatley this it where I made a massive schoolboy error buy not covering the floor of the shed, oops.

204752FE-C0D4-4439-9AA1-B63424E9AACF_zps

Yeah but you've got so much more - scabs and blisters for one I'd guess, I've really enjoyed reading this thread and thanks for sharing. I look forward to following your continued progress.

Yep got a pretty decent scar on my left hand from being careless with the saw

Punt gunning or a shoulder gun from a punt is on the bucket list i think. I really want one, always wanted to make a boat but wouldn't have anywhere to take it.

Are many wildfowling clubs accepting of punt gunners?

I wasn't aware that there were any costal clubs that didn't?

Eventually the sanding was done, which was so bad and took so long, I can't even tell you.

Painting, although a very boring job, is very satisfying once it's done, as it's the first time it really starts to look like a punt again. I also added the rubbing strake.

Obviously here the paint is wet so looks glossy, once it's dry it goes matt.

B6779A0A-3259-40CD-A05C-2EA1217A5B49_zps

A5B81B81-149E-4A67-A844-D2D48B6C616F_zps