Big momma and ducks!

Underdog

Ducks! Hardly seen any all season then!

They are suddenly everywhere :lol:

DSCN1112_zpsbrwitkkx.jpg

I took my wife out allllll day yesterday with a surprise evening dinner with our daughter in Whitchurch, Shropshire.

It was nice, I like taking my wife out at least once a year whether she needs it or not. I firmly believe they enjoy and benefit from such an event.

That accomplished I needed a lie in so did not get out at first light!

It was near to 9am when I did set off. Rain was forcast towards mid day so a walk was needed before that!

I bumped into a birder and had a good chat about things. A willow tit visited us as we spoke. The chap got it about ground vermin and the such! We shook hands and split.

Not long after I could here a distant pheasant cocking up!

I moved in, made a stand and produced a new gadget ! A cheap fox caller from flea bay!

It had called a fox in Friday but it busted me! This time I was going to stay sharp!

The contraption went through its various rackets and sure enough big mooma came in nice and gentle, cautious like.

I was above her, she was in a hole. Lots of twigs! I put the device in my pocket but left it running.

She entered a gap, the rifle was on her I......CRACK! Oh poop it was sent before I was ready!

My fault! I have worked on the trigger sears after finding a high spot. The now smoother sears need a heavier weight spring. Soon will be done!

Back to the shot. She crumpled to the shot, arose and sloped away. Although premature the shot was good, perfect across the lungs.

I waited a few minutes and then took Tia to the spot. She followed the blood line straight to big momma, about fifty yards.

Here she is.

DSCN1115_zpswd5syq7i.jpg

Here is her with the device!

DSCN1118_zpsu9urwopm.jpg

I clambered out the hole with her.

DSCN1119_zpsekphvxdf.jpg

Nice big in vixen nearly past her prime. These bullets are tough, the other one I shot ran away to for fifty yards. The exit hole was about 5/8" so some expansion but not much.

Later we bumped into a wounded crow that was hopping away across the field.

DSCN1120_zpsvyzhil1q.jpg

Sure enough it's left wing was all green under the skin, looks like a shotgun pellet had entered there.

The sleet set in then so I made for home :good:

A good morning :)

U.

Edited by Underdog

good write up, looks like she is in cub. What was the device you were using to call,

Got it off eBay. £35. It is basic but I am getting use to it. Called two in so far.

This one was a mature vixen and am sure she will of heard me calling before but she just had to come check this out!

I displayed it to aid recognising it on eBay.

U.

Got it off eBay. £35. It is basic but I am getting use to it. Called two in so far.

This one was a mature vixen and am sure she will of heard me calling before but she just had to come check this out!

I displayed it to aid recognising it on eBay.

U.

Any more details on this call? Interested in trying one myself!

Good read up and pic's.

You may have mentioned this in the past; if you have i've missed it, but is that a tiny muzzle-brake you have on there?

Well spotted.

It came with a mod but I left it off now, can't be doing with the moisture and dry bullets!

I asked them in the shop for a muzzle protector and they gave me one off a Crosman I think!

It looks OK I thought.

U.

Yes, it does. Looks fine. I often think I should have kept my WMR, but after getting the lr and then the cf it just wasn't getting used. Excellent round though.

Yes I understand, I am/have gone backwards. Sounds bad put like that, maybe simpler is a better way to express it.

I don't have the ground I use to have and a shotgun alone ain't enough. Also my long rang shooting days are over I think.

I am enjoying it.

:-)

Yes I understand, I am/have gone backwards. Sounds bad put like that, maybe simpler is a better way to express it.

I don't have the ground I use to have and a shotgun alone ain't enough. Also my long rang shooting days are over I think.

I am enjoying it.

:-)

Then that's all that matters. Have fun.