concerned about my barrel

fieldwanderer

I thought my shooting was going south recently but decided to go to the garland shoot this weekend anyway. I went to a favourite spot on wednesday afternoon, I lay on an old trailer and have a view out over a large rape field - there's often something to be had even if it's just a long range pigeon (though expensive, blowing 'em up with the c/f is certainly good fun). I missed a few shots I was very confident about and decided to look a little further into it.

I'm using superformance powder as I've not found anything that comes close when it comes to velocity, the trouble being it's temperature sensitive and I felt this could be the issue. A look through my notebook found a load that was putting 1.25" groups down at 300yds in similar temperatures so I made some up with the few bullets I had left and ordered another 200 from kranks so I could load some up for the meet today.

The pigeons had other Ideas though and I duly pulled out of the meet so I could do something about them, but friday evening gave me the opportunity to run some over the chrono and to see how they grouped; 1.5" at 100yds :unhappy: but it was a bit windy, raining and I was shattered so I didn't let it worry me too much.

Saturday, my bullets finally turned up but I needed to get onto the pigeons - I packed up at lunchtime though after firing just two shots and went home to load some ammunition up, yeah I could've made it to the meet but two early mornings in a weekend is a bit much when I work nights.

So, today I gave the rifle and mod a good clean (not that it really needed it after less than 20 shots since it was last cleaned) and went out for another try. I found an old paint tin, filled it with sand and scratched a 1/2" dot into the rust to aim at. I hung this from a tree with an old building behind it (it's a disused aerodrome) as a backstop and set myself up directly upwind of it so as to minimise any effects it might have.

This time, I shot a 2" group at 200yds from 10 shots - quite a difference from 1.25" at 300 :/

Details; shot count is ~ 1200 through a 1:10 twist walther stainless barrel, most have been on the hot side. I've used sierra gameking (65gr) mostly but this accurate load is 69gr matchkings at 3550fps (gamekings have been anywhere between 3400 and 3800). The barrel was broken in carefully and is about 18mnths old, has been cleaned carefully regularly, not every outing but roughly every 50-100 shots; using a bore guide, plastic coated rod and very sparingly with a phosphor bronze brush (a couple of passes but not every time it's cleaned). I use KG12 copper solvent but start with hoppes to get the soot out first. Never let the barrel get any hotter than "warm" before letting it cool and the barrel was hand lapped when it was fitted.

You think I've shot it out? Obviously, it's still good enough for charlie and if I ever see a muntie as long as I keep the ranges down but still not good news :/

If you have it bore scoped you will most certainly say its had it, and I am sure if you looked down the barrel of a rifle that had 1/2 that amount of shots through it you would come to the same decision.

Try seating your bullets out a tad more, obviously consider safety 1st you don't want to start jamming into the lands. If the throat has worn then you can just give a little more jump.

Is there any roughness in the throat when you push a patch or brush through? I don't see a calibre mentioned, but I am assuming its a .243" With 1200 rounds down the tube I would say there is fair chance that the barrel has seen better days. You may find it shoots two or three rounds ok after cleaning, but then the groups start to open up.

If you have it bore scoped you will most certainly say its had it, and I am sure if you looked down the barrel of a rifle that had 1/2 that amount of shots through it you would come to the same decision.

Try seating your bullets out a tad more, obviously consider safety 1st you don't want to start jamming into the lands. If the throat has worn then you can just give a little more jump.

Yeah, I'd decided to try making them up a tad longer but thanks for the suggestion.

I'll let you know how it goes

Is there any roughness in the throat when you push a patch or brush through? I don't see a calibre mentioned, but I am assuming its a .243" With 1200 rounds down the tube I would say there is fair chance that the barrel has seen better days. You may find it shoots two or three rounds ok after cleaning, but then the groups start to open up.

Kept calibre quiet to avoid prejudice; it's a .22/250

You've got me thinking about my sako now. Lol I can hit the chains early on in the day then later on I'm starting to miss.

I'm not sure what the cost is to have a barrel re chambered compared to a complete re barrel, But it all depends on whether it improves with seating the bullets longer.

Yeah, I'd decided to try making them up a tad longer but thanks for the suggestion.

If you bore scope a 22-250 with that amount of ammo through it, it will be fire cracked to **** at the throat

You've got me thinking about my sako now. Lol I can hit the chains early on in the day then later on I'm starting to miss.

I'm not sure what the cost is to have a barrel re chambered compared to a complete re barrel, But it all depends on whether it improves with seating the bullets longer.

Yep the sako's ******

I'll see how it goes seated longer and try the other powder I have too (n550) both powders are slow burning for the calibre but it's a 28" barrel. The viht is much less temperature sensitive though and it's proved to be very accurate but at lower velocity.

May also consider losing 4-6" off the chamber end too depending on cost as I'm looking at going up to something over 6mm in a year or so anyway and the action I have will take .243 or .260 so that may be the route I go down - and get out of the habit of plinking when I get bored, good fun but a nearly £500 barrel in less than 2 years is a bit much!

That helped a bit, Thank you. 5 shots in just over an inch at 200yds loaded 10thou longer (5thou off what the chamber measured new). May still ask around for a price to have the barrel set back though.

If it were me i would bite the bullet and have a re-barrel. Its going to cost more yes but at least you will have a new barrel. around £700 or at a guess 250 for a re-chamber ???

I paid 480 for the rebarrel last time. I think you're right though, I'll hang on and hopefully get it rebarrelled in .260 rem, or similar.

Need to get the dsc1 and a couple of stalks under my belt first though to try to make sure the variation goes through without any hassle.

Edited by fieldwanderer

nope, not after the way they messed me about last time; Will never, ever go back to them and will make sure everyone knows it too.

However, I will be looking to go with a reputable manufacturer - there's plenty about; walther, bartlien, etc - and a smith to go with it. The walther barrel was shooting just under .3moa all day long until recently so I'd be happy with another.

I really am taking a liking to the .260, the more I read the more convinced I am. Just need to prove to the police that I'm getting into the stalking, on top of the foxes and hope they'll o.k. it :/