Have you ever been hit by a broken clay?

PeaceFrog

I was looking at a broken clay that landed at my feet the other day on the skeet and it looked kind of jagged and fierce and I was wondering if any of you had been unlucky enough to get hit by a shard going at speed. They must be able to produce some nasty cuts, without safety glasses I'd imagine they could take an eye perhaps?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago preparing to take the last pair on a stand I managed to pulverise a full clay with my forehead, took a minute or two to figure out that a missed clay from another stand had got caught by a freak wind and sailed over to the shooting point.

I've seen plenty of people get hit by fragments including my own wife who sulked for hours afterwards when one drew blood from the top of her head. :/

I've also been stung on the hands a fair few times from falling shot, once heard a ding sound of one that dropped inside the can of coke I was holding ! :yes:

I got hit the eye by a piece of a clay in the late 80's when no one wore eye protection for shooting - hospital job, cut my eyeball - ouch !!

Oh man, I'm guessing (or hoping) you didn't loose the eye, right? I still notice a lot of people don't bother with the hat or the glasses, sometimes I do forget them.

yep got whacked by a large piece of broken clay hit me on my forehead 1/2" cut the result, (came from another stand way way off!) I was set up ready to shout pull when it hit never saw it coming at all

KW

Few weeks ago and second time out shooting my own gun and it took a minor hit, both me and the guy with me turned to look where the noise of the impact came from but couldn't see a mark on the gun fortunately.

Judging by the frequency of responses to this thread I can certainly see the sense in protective eye and head gear.

Was shooting at a different ground today for the first time and was surprised to see the general lack of protective eyewear in particular. Most folks had hearing protection though. Interesting how folks make their choices.

Been hit many times,had a small piece hit me today,thats why i never shoot without a cap and most of all glasses,a few years ago a guy lost a eye at a ground in north wales,he had finished shooting and was making his way back to his car,anyone who shoots without protection in my opinion is a dam fool.

Got hit on the wrist, well the stainless steel bracelet of my wristwatch to be more accurate. Hurt like hell and actually bent two links of the bracelet. I always wear a cap when shooting in case of broken clay to the head, won't stop them but will take the sting out of a hit.

Mr Potter

Skeet is the worst - thank God for glasses and caps! The fragments that hit flesh: clipped on the top of the ear and that was tender for over a day, and I got rapped on the knuckles. Both were in the same session and it's probably the last time I shot skeet - I remember why now :lol::oops: