Have you ever been hit by a broken clay?

PeaceFrog

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They might do a reasonable job on little bits of clay, but I reckon with a big sized lump then you would be in trouble.

You can get a set of Bolle tinted saftey glasses for £6, why take the risk to either your eyes or more expensive sun glasses?

Yeah those are the ones I must have, not tinted though, from screw fix. They're good quality for the price, real thick, tinted would have been better for the sunny days.

Jesus those pictures!

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been hit in the back (thankfully i turned round) by one when it was windy.

We were shooting at a clay ground the other month when we realised the R to L crosser stand we were on was dropping the clays pretty much in front of the stand 2 stands down from us. We stopped shooting and reported the stand to a ground man after one missed clay (there were several that day) caught the wind and sailed straight into the cartridge bin on the 2nd stand down!

The groundsman closed that stand straight which was good.

Craig

They might do a reasonable job on little bits of clay, but I reckon with a big sized lump then you would be in trouble.

You can get a set of Bolle tinted saftey glasses for £6, why take the risk to either your eyes or more expensive sun glasses?

These will not stop lead shot. you need proper safety glasses for that.

A few years ago at Central Scotland Shooting School a Norn Irish shooter was hit by a pc of clay and was eventually awarded in the region of 10k.

I think old Don the owner barred him for life LOL.

Its only common sense to wear personal protection equiptment but as we all know its not that common.

These will not stop lead shot. you need proper safety glasses for that.

A few years ago at Central Scotland Shooting School a Norn Irish shooter was hit by a pc of clay and was eventually awarded in the region of 10k.

I think old Don the owner barred him for life LOL.

Its only common sense to wear personal protection equiptment but as we all know its not that common.

If you mean sunglasses I agree, that is why I said get safety glasses.

If you mean the cheapo Bolle tinted safety glasses, they are certified proper safety glasses.

If we are both saying the same thing, which I think we are, i.e. get proper safety glasses, then all good :)

You only get 1 set of eyes,

Why risk it, you can get proper shooting glasses for not much money these days

Same with ear protection

Not worth the risk but we still have to tell the odd shooter at our club, no glasses or ear protection then you're not shooting

:shaun:

I think all clubs should do this Shaun, I am totally against nanny type rules normally, but the number of shooters that go without glasses amaze me.

I must have got hit half a dozen times on Sunday, it was pretty much all small stuff, and really just a combination of wind and a number of high driven targets, but so many guys looking up with no glasses on or their glasses pushed back on their head. Completely daft.

If you mean sunglasses I agree, that is why I said get safety glasses.

If you mean the cheapo Bolle tinted safety glasses, they are certified proper safety glasses.

If we are both saying the same thing, which I think we are, i.e. get proper safety glasses, then all good :)

grrclark yes we are both singing from the same sheet.

certified proper safety glasses/ Ive got the dvd for cheap glasses. A no of years age i tested four certified proper safety glasses, one from Paslode Nail gun kits and three from tool station,screwfix and a builders supplier.

All were cable tied too a 4x4 stake and shot at from 35 yds,12 guage with full choke and 32 no 6s in lead and 32 n0 4s in steel.

They all failed to different degrees.

The same test was done on Napier interchangables and another big brand name whos name i cant recall. They both faired a lot better.

Bear in mind 35 yds shot straight at.

As an aside i was shooting pigeons with a friend last harvest,i was using 24 gram no 7s in steel and peppered his windscreen at approximately 70 yds. Loadsa lovelly pock marks.LOL

As an aside i was shooting pigeons with a friend last harvest,i was using 24 gram no 7s in steel and peppered his windscreen at approximately 70 yds. Loadsa lovelly pock marks.LOL

Oh that is a bit nasty, I imagine that he had a bit of a grump on afterwards :)

Steel would definitely be worse, at least lead has a chance of deforming a little on impact with the glass.

It seems we have all been hit and had some close calls regarding eyes.

What amazes me is the fact that our clubs still get insured even after risk assessment.

It wouldn't happen in the workplace, and we wouldn't send our kids to school if bits were crashing down around them in the playground?

I wonder if any clubs have had claims made against them?

Dont want the PC mob to close our clubs down, but its food for thought ?

grrclark yes we are both singing from the same sheet.

certified proper safety glasses/ Ive got the dvd for cheap glasses. A no of years age i tested four certified proper safety glasses, one from Paslode Nail gun kits and three from tool station,screwfix and a builders supplier.

All were cable tied too a 4x4 stake and shot at from 35 yds,12 guage with full choke and 32 no 6s in lead and 32 n0 4s in steel.

They all failed to different degrees.

The same test was done on Napier interchangables and another big brand name whos name i cant recall. They both faired a lot better.

Bear in mind 35 yds shot straight at.

Did they penatrate the lenses?

Would the eye have been damaged/blinded? That's so scary with proper safety glasses.

Ive seen the photo of a milling machine job exploding and a shard of steel entering glasses but missing the eye by about 1-2mm

Actually stuck in the plastic, an amazing photo and an amazing escape, but hey, HE put the glasses on.

It's probably on the net somewhere.

Travelling around the uk reporting on shoots I see a lot of this, though in 95 % of cases it can be avoided if the course setter has a clue as to what they are doing.... Tilt a trap away from a shooter and chances are that even if its shot early the debris will still be heading away from the peg.... There's always a risk with driven but theres really no excuse on any other target. Worst I have seen is a ground in Wiltshire where I got hit 3 times on 3 different stands!! Go to quite a few shoots in the US and Canada and have NEVER seen a stand where there was even a chance of it happening.....

It seems we have all been hit and had some close calls regarding eyes.

What amazes me is the fact that our clubs still get insured even after risk assessment.

It wouldn't happen in the workplace, and we wouldn't send our kids to school if bits were crashing down around them in the playground?

I wonder if any clubs have had claims made against them?

Dont want the PC mob to close our clubs down, but its food for thought ?

Risk assessment is not JUST about the likelihood of something happening. It is a combination of the likelihood of something happening, and the possible consequences.

For example : on an incoming clay, there is a reasonable possibility of a broken clay continuing in, and striking the shooter or button man, or a spectator. If no protection, then the chances of serious eye injury are quite high (fast, sharp item hitting in the face.

To mitigate that, you could either not use incomers (but some people want to shoot them, as practice for driven days), or you can insist on eye protection. The CHANCE of the clay coming in is the same, but the consequences are now less. Thus, the RISK is now less, and the risk assessment is not about removing risk, but reducing it to reasonable levels. There is also a possibility of cuts, etc. However, the consequences are far less severe, and as such the RISK is less.

It's exactly the same with the stands and cages, rules about safety flags, not loading until in the cage, etc. They are set up so that, as far as is REASONABLY practical, nobody will have a loaded gun outside of the cage, and the gun will always be pointed in a safe direction. The chance of an accident is thus reduced as far as it can be, as the consequences of that accident could be fatal.