Crow flapper

ollie

I am heading out tomorrow to do a spot of crow shooting on my sisters farm. They are eating all the sheep feeding from the feeders. I have only used the pigeon flapper once with a rook; this proved successful, but I don't know if it would work at this time of year when they are a bit smarter.

Any of you guys use the flapper with a dead crow?

They must be big crows to be eating the sheep :) I guess you mean eating the sheep feed from the feeders.

I have used a flapper with a crow or Jackdaw on before and yes they can work very well , better than a magnet IMO .

Good luck.

Read it again fella and I think you will find I said they are eating all the sheep feeding.

Read it again fella and I think you will find I said they are eating all the sheep feeding.

Perhaps it is a language difference between England and Ireland Ollie , but over here sheep feeding is just that , sheep that are eating .

Sheep feed is what the sheep will be eating and what I would expect the crows to be eating .

It really does not matter does it , my advice is still the same yes a flapper can work very well.

If I had an FF2 Mini flapper would a Sillosock Crow Hypa-Flap Decoy work on it?

With the correct mounting bracket, yep, but am not too sure whether or not the fast flap speed of these are suited to the slower wing beat of a corvid. Anyone? I inadvertently put this question on the pigeon equipment forum and got no answer. Is it better to put a crow hyppaflap on a bouncer or is the supplied somewhat rigid pole sufficient?. From what Fenboy said, I was going to put my old slow flappers out to grass but I might now just try them for the rooks.

With the correct mounting bracket, yep, but am not too sure whether or not the fast flap speed of these are suited to the slower wing beat of a corvid. Anyone? I inadvertently put this question on the pigeon equipment forum and got no answer. Is it better to put a crow hyppaflap on a bouncer or is the supplied somewhat rigid pole sufficient?. From what Fenboy said, I was going to put my old slow flappers out to grass but I might now just try them for the rooks.

Ah right, I didn't think of the speed bit. I'll send them an email about a speed controller, I know you can get them for the FF4 at least.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

If using a crow (or any other corvid) on a pigeon flapper, you need to fit a speed controller really, as pigeon flappers tend to go at 200-300 beats per minute, and a crows wings should really be going at 30-60 beats per minute.

A timer isn't really necessary, but can be fitted too if required

On one of my flappers, I have an intermittent timer fitted to it. I have set it so that the corvid's wings beat for 21 times, then have a 4 second break. It has always proved successful, although my other non timed one works just as well.

exactly steve I find the same thing :yes: if there close enough to suss the flapper out, there close enough to shoot :yes:

Imho the flapper/magnet/rotary or whatever you choose to use is mainly to get the attention,corvids decoy better to numbers on the ground,thats why I always leave the birds where they fall :good: BB

Edited by Bluebarrels