Red dot sight on an o/u shotgun

shotgun sam

I am interested to know if anyone has put a red dot sight on thier over and under shotgun and what they bought and their views were.

The reason I am asking is my son has just got his sgc and he is visually impaired he gets on fine with rifles with a high magnification scope and I thought a red dot would help him.

Sam

Depends on the type of visual impairment, a true red dot depends uses both eyes, 1 sees the dot and the other eye sees target. Brain then superimposes

one picture over the other and provided your eyes are well alighned you get that perfect picture of the dot floating in space where the shot is going.

On a rifle i found mine have a divergance of about 8 inches at 100 yds.

brilliant on a shotgun where you get a visual reference for calculating lead

biggest downside is they dont look cool and upset the clean lines of the gun.

Have also used a 4x scope on a shotgun with success, gives a very repeatable sight picture

Just not the done thing in polite society

My mate had eye domination issues and the gunsmith fitted a red bead foresight. It was clear plastic with a transparent red plastic bead inside it. When you mounted the gun you just saw a glowing red spot which was backlit by the available light. It worked very well for my mate but the trick was not to look at the sight but to focus on the clay or the bird and the dot will just be there in the sky like a red dot sight.

It looked like it cost about a fiver and was superglued on.

My initial reaction was that it depends what kind of visual impairment. But the more I think about it, the more I would say (as a visually impaired person myself) that whatever his impairment, he's probably better off without a red dot.

If his problem is visual field (as might be suggested by the fact he rifle shoots), then a red dot won't help; and if it's acuity then it won't help either.

And in both circs red dots go against, it seems to me, the "point don't aim" golden rule of shooting shotguns.