Orrible Rats

fog horn

Hi guys,

Little advice needed really.. let the dog out last night for a pee and she went straight over to some wheels in the corner of the Garden, I was standing there with a bright torch and was confronted by a brown rat that run past me and back to nextdoors garden!

Now there have been rats from next door before but have not seen any for ages until lastnight..

Don't really know how to tackle this one really as I don't want to use poison because of the dog and dont think shooting would be effective enough as ive shot one or two in the past but normaly takes all night to get one..

There is no food source in our garden for them so really can't see why they would be there?

Any help would be great guys

Thanks

Foggy..

They are usually only attracted to a food source, but baiting would only attract more. All I can suggest really is to ensure there is no attraction on your property and to leave one or two Fenn traps discretely placed about on your perimeters and shield them so nothing bigger than a rat can access them.

Some years ago a mate baited some rats after his neighbour called round in a panic as there were rats in her garden. Another neighbour feeds geese on another property bordering hers, which attracted the rats in the first place, but the birds which came to her feeder scatter the feed she put out for them on the ground, so the rats which were attracted by the goose feed were popping over her fence to clean up the bird seed also.

When he discovered they were running along her fence top and dropping into her garden he laced the fence top with peanut butter and got about 14 rats in one night.

She doesn't feed birds anymore but the geese are still there.

That is intresting mate, I know there is afew neighbours who do feed birds and keep outdoor animals (not chickens) so that is what has attracted them, but there really is nothing In our garden at all! There was fallen fruit from trees but that is been gone months now..

The only thing I could think they could eat in the garden is any dog poop I might miss and not sure if they would even eat that?

I did used to see dug holes under the fence from next door but have since layed concrete at bottom of fence and have not seen anymore dig holes for months!

I will have to have a poke around in the garden and see if I can see any evidence. Im thinking I've got about six of these big cheese Rat traps so thinking of baiting them up with something and placing them up the back of the Garden thats fenced off and the dog can't get to!

Edited by fog horn

I get rats now and again as my garden is against farmland , this year 1000s of small potatoes were left on the field just behind my fence which attracted rats.

I now have fenn traps set along the fence line permantely , they can take a while to start working but once they do they are quite effective and soon catch any newcomers .

As said they need covering to prevent pets / birds etc being able to access them.

Most important bit I'd do is to check the proofing of your house immediately - check that there is no gaps that you can get your finger in - (they used to say a biro sized hole a mouse could squeeze into, which I have actually seen on trianing videos at the big 'R' pest control company when i worked there) and a mans thumb for rats.

Check for any gaps and seal where necessary with wire wool and filler - the wire wool will stop them chewing through.

If you have any foliage against your house, e.g Ivy or bushes - keep them away as they'll climb that easily and enter your roof space.

Cheers guys,

No foliage by the house so don't think that should be a problem but really don't know what to do o this one!

Normaly I would use poison bait traps but im worried the dog could get hold of any poison they drag out and alike.. I had a quick poke around out there when I got home from work but could not find anything obvious!

Ive been cutting some trees back out there so there is alot of bushy cuttings so can't lay the traps just yet but soon as I have I will be setting them to see what turns up,

Where can I get fenn traps from and how do they work? Are they better than snap traps?

Cheers guys

Foggy..

Any agricultural outlet should sell Mk 4 Fenns. They're easy enough to set, with a safety latch you simply flick off after you've placed it where you want it, and are violently effective.

We used to dig shallow trenches and place the baited traps in there, then put a lid on top fashioned out of slate or whatever and camouflaged somewhat. Then we would push stiff wire mesh or wooden pegs into the soil at entrance and exit to prevent anything bigger than a rat getting in there.

The vendor will be able to show you how to set them, but it's fairly self explanatory.

This is one of my local suppliers but 'Game and Shooting' section doesn't seem to work. There is a phone number on there however.

http://www.twrelph.co.uk

I don't really know what a snap trap is to be honest, so can't comment on their effectiveness.

The only snag with shopping at Relphs for Fenns is that someone with a warped sense of humour always sets one of them before putting it back in the box with all the others. :) Buyer beware!

Here's another we use.

http://www.solwayfeeders.com/products/solway-mk4-spring-trap-p1905-c193.html

Plenty of images on google also; Mk 4 Fenn.

Edited by Scully

Hi guys,

Little advice needed really.. let the dog out last night for a pee and she went straight over to some wheels in the corner of the Garden, I was standing there with a bright torch and was confronted by a brown rat that run past me and back to nextdoors garden!

Now there have been rats from next door before but have not seen any for ages until lastnight..

Don't really know how to tackle this one really as I don't want to use poison because of the dog and dont think shooting would be effective enough as ive shot one or two in the past but normaly takes all night to get one..

There is no food source in our garden for them so really can't see why they would be there?

Any help would be great guys

Thanks

Foggy..

Rats need Water, food, harbourage.

If you are positive you have no food, then check the other two!

Ratty could of course simply be using your garden as a run to get to the above elseware.

"Poison" is very effective and if used correctly the chances of you having any issue with your dog (pets generally) is incredibly close to zero!

:good: