.17 Hornet

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come you changed your mind Steve?

U.

Could'nt find a manufacturer who is still producing them (in my price range)

Can`t imagine .17 Hornet coping with 300yd corvids effectively unless you live in a wind free zone.

Up to 300 yards would be good. I would not be shooting them at that range in high winds.

Thanks for the link. I did actually see those rifles for sale earlier. Hopefully, by the time I get my renewed FAC (mid May) I should be able to buy a new rifle.

Could'nt find a manufacturer who is still producing them (in my price range)

Up to 300 yards would be good. I would not be shooting them at that range in high winds.

Regular shooting at 300 yards with light wind would preclude the hornet for me. It is a 200 yard gun for most shooting in the UK. If your goal is a 300 yard tack driver then the 204 is where i would play. The 39 gr bk at 3600/3700 is going to be a far sight better than the 20 gr vmax at the same speed.

Rick

Regular shooting at 300 yards with light wind would preclude the hornet for me. It is a 200 yard gun for most shooting in the UK. If your goal is a 300 yard tack driver then the 204 is where i would play. The 39 gr bk at 3600/3700 is going to be a far sight better than the 20 gr vmax at the same speed.

Rick

And so it goes, bigger is better creeps in.

This is this gents choice, no one else's!

A change is as good as a rest they say.

It is also not just about looking at paper charts!

On windy days, this chap may just stay in bed snuggled next to his bride when others still try to shoot at long distances with their better rifles but err still miss lol.

On windy days, this chap may just stay in bed snuggled next to his bride when others still try to shoot at long distances with their better rifles but err still miss lol.

To be fair Steve did say in his original post, when asking about the .17 rem, that he was looking for a long range vermin/corvid rifle where 300yds+ was mentioned so casts-by-fly did make a fairly valid point and he didn't really mention 'windy' days but just a light wind which at 300 yds makes a big difference. I must agree with you on the long distance and still missing part though, we hear all about these long range shots but never get the stories of all the wounding and missing that happens before we get the perfect shot (yes there are a select few who are proficient long range shots). The .17 hornet is a great vermin round but not in the same league as the .17 rem for what Steve originally wanted it for.

Edited by r1steele

In all fairness, 300 yards would not be my regular range to shoot anything. More like 150 -200. There are 'bigger & better' calibers out there, but a .17 one is what I'm looking at.

This might be of interest to you....................................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_-NHQsKsA0

This video does show what this caliber can do. 250 yards would 'more than likely' be my maximum range.

Well my opinuon on the gun has already been recorded and I stand by it. I liked the 17 Hornet for its ease of reloading and mild noise in use, its effect on quarry far beyond the noise produced BUT........

Whichever gun you get, make sure you can feed it.

I agree. :good:

17 hornet is not much louder than 17hmr but i personally found it hard to get vert tight groups .50 at best it is not one of those cals you can just throw together each kernel of powder matters.very nice to be in controll of home loads and no split necks.the only reason i don't own one is cz or savage don't do it for me (i had a savage when they first came out)if only anschutz did a thumbhole hornet wow.for the difference i didn't enjoy picking my brass out of the mud and searching the long grass for every bit so went back to hmr close range out to 100 ish and 6mm br for long range but 223 / 204 expand just as well as 17 cal .if its something you need to do have fun but wind is a small cal killer .expect a high miss rate at 300.

or is it just my shooting lol

mike

My original post has certainly produced some interesting replies. I still think that, for me, the .17 Hornet will be the most suitable. I have a .22 Hornet for 'shorter' ranges, and I intend working up a light load for my .243. At present, I use 100gr SP bullets, but these are for Foxes and a bit of target shooting. I'll look at using a lighter bullet and see what results I can get.

In fact, I have a box of Federal Premium 55grn Nosler ballistic tip ammunition which I bought a year ago. It will be interesting to see how they perform at long range.

To be fair Steve did say in his original post, when asking about the .17 rem, that he was looking for a long range vermin/corvid rifle where 300yds+ was mentioned so casts-by-fly did make a fairly valid point and he didn't really mention 'windy' days but just a light wind which at 300 yds makes a big difference. I must agree with you on the long distance and still missing part though, we hear all about these long range shots but never get the stories of all the wounding and missing that happens before we get the perfect shot (yes there are a select few who are proficient long range shots). The .17 hornet is a great vermin round but not in the same league as the .17 rem for what Steve originally wanted it for.

I will say that wounding is not an option for me, not even on Crows, which I hate with a passion.

I will say that wounding is not an option for me, not even on Crows, which I hate with a passion.

Sorry Steve I wasn't implying that it was, just commenting on some long range varminters that 'never' miss. I am using 55grn bk's on foxes out to 250-300 yds quite comfortably but I think the heavier bullets will be more stable in windier conditions and for longer distances. They are a nice round for lamping foxes, just point and shoot out to these ranges.

In all fairness, 300 yards would not be my regular range to shoot anything. More like 150 -200. There are 'bigger & better' calibers out there, but a .17 one is what I'm looking at.

I think the video is pretty indicative of my opinion of the 17 hornet. At sub 200 yards it is explosive. At 250 it is more than enough to shoot vermin on the ground if the wind is cooperating. At 300 it has the energy, but you're really pushing the limits of what a 20 gr bullet will do in drift and the cartridge in accuracy. Note in the video that the wind was fairly light when he was shooting (lighter than I ever get to see really) and it was pushing the bullet around 8" (based on where he said he aimed and where the strike was) at 300 yards. If you can get a gun shooting 1/2 MOA at 300 yards (which is a lot to ask of the hornet) then your accuracy potential with no wind is right on the size of the target (a crow body or rabbit head is about a 2" diameter target). That means you need the wind exact and a bit of luck.

Your best bet will be to try one on your permissions and see how it works out. I keep mine zeroed at 200 yd which gives me +/- 1" all the way to 225. I think that's probably the most realistic option for me and a lot of people. If something pops up on the edge of the range then I'll holdover just a bit. Inside of 200 though, it doesn't miss much.

thanks,

rick

Sorry Steve I wasn't implying that it was, just commenting on some long range varminters that 'never' miss. I am using 55grn bk's on foxes out to 250-300 yds quite comfortably but I think the heavier bullets will be more stable in windier conditions and for longer distances. They are a nice round for lamping foxes, just point and shoot out to these ranges.

I know that mate. :good:

I think the video is pretty indicative of my opinion of the 17 hornet. At sub 200 yards it is explosive. At 250 it is more than enough to shoot vermin on the ground if the wind is cooperating. At 300 it has the energy, but you're really pushing the limits of what a 20 gr bullet will do in drift and the cartridge in accuracy. Note in the video that the wind was fairly light when he was shooting (lighter than I ever get to see really) and it was pushing the bullet around 8" (based on where he said he aimed and where the strike was) at 300 yards. If you can get a gun shooting 1/2 MOA at 300 yards (which is a lot to ask of the hornet) then your accuracy potential with no wind is right on the size of the target (a crow body or rabbit head is about a 2" diameter target). That means you need the wind exact and a bit of luck.

Your best bet will be to try one on your permissions and see how it works out. I keep mine zeroed at 200 yd which gives me +/- 1" all the way to 225. I think that's probably the most realistic option for me and a lot of people. If something pops up on the edge of the range then I'll holdover just a bit. Inside of 200 though, it doesn't miss much.

thanks,

rick

Excellent post. Thanks :-)