De-oiling an old stock - help needed please!

DanWalker

20150225_113610_zpsy8trwyso.jpg

Hi all,

Hoping to pick your brains for a bit of expert advice. As you can see from the picture I'm in the process of stripping an old walnut stock for staining and re-finishing.

I'm a bit stuck on how to get the remaining oil out of the wood. As you can see there's a broad band of grain which is holding more oil than the rest of the wood. I've been patiently going over it with wire wool and rubbing alcohol but it seems to be taking forever. Is there anything else I should try, such as gentle heat? What are the pitfalls I should be looking out for?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

salicylic acid

get it at a chandlers

awesome for removing oil from soaked stocks

no amount of heat, kitty litter, etc gets the amount of oil out that a couple of treatments of salicylic will do

I will second this, Daff (WelshWarrior) gave me some for a SxS I am tarting up again and it worked wonders !

ATB

Matt

salicylic acid

get it at a chandlers

awesome for removing oil from soaked stocks

no amount of heat, kitty litter, etc gets the amount of oil out that a couple of treatments of salicylic will do

You can get salicylic acid of eBay it comes in various strengths up to 30%. Would that be strong enough or can you buy it stronger?

To me, that band of grain looks as it should - walnut often has very dark, varied and contrasting patterns - are you sure it's actually oil and not figured grain? If this was my stock, I'd want to preserve that contrast.

Salicylic acid should be used with caution, it can leave the wood with a bleached, milky look. Great for stripping pine, a bit heavy for walnut in my opinion.

Salicylic acid is very good on walnut but are you sure that it's oil it looks to me (but I'm on my phone) as if it's colour contrast in the the wood and won't lift.

I think it's the contrast of the grain too. More interesting would be to see the head of the stock and what condition that's in.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys.

I've given it a blast with the hairdryer and it is lifting plenty of oil out. Going to give it a rest for a couple of days and try again.

What's the drill with the salicylic acid? Just dab it on and clean off with a cloth or go for a full soak? Can anyone recommend a brand name as I can only find cosmetic products online. I'll get down the chandlers at the weekend and see what they have in stock.

For all the people asking whether it is oil or natural contrast - I'm afraid the phioto doesn't show it as well as I hoped but it is definitely oil. The grain is slightly lense dense and a bit more porous in that band and it has obviously soaked plenty of oil in over the years.

I want to pull as much out as possible before I go wild with the alkanet root to get better contrast on the rest of the figuring.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, thanks for the help so far, can I lean on you for a bit more now please?

I've got my dirty little mitts on some salicylic acid, question is how to use it? I have it in powdered form. What sort of strength to dilute to and and direction on how to use it would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan