Recommend me a 20 gauge...

sandspider

Hi all

I'm toying with the idea of getting a 20g. I normally shoot with a 12g Lanber with 28" barrels, but like the idea of a different gun, and one that's a bit lighter to carry. I don't shoot a huge amount, so the extra cost of 20g shells shouldn't be a problem. However, I'm a normal sized adult male (5'10 ish, 12 stone) - can anyone recommend a 20g that will fit a normalish sized man rather than a child / lady? Oh, and I'd be thinking O/U, second hand not new, budget maybe £500...

Cheers.

Edited by sandspider

Thanks chaps.

Mainly for clays, but would hopefully be used for a bit of rough shooting too. I'm after one gun for everything. I'd consider a semi auto (even a Hatstand perhaps!), but probably not a pump action. I like my Lanber, so would certainly consider a 20g version if they have a decent LOP, are still well made etc.

Be very careful if u want a lightweight gun then don't buy bettinsoli or franchi they are almost the weight of a 12g the only light guns are Lincoln and some Webley & Scott at approx 6lbs the rest are over 7lbs heavy lumps based on 12g actions which are far from ideal !!!

Huglu are cheap but some of there guns are light and true scaled actions

So look for a 6lbs gun if u want a light weight walk about shotgun.....

Ive just bought a 20g Webley and Scott 820, semi auto with 30" barrels. I thought it might be a bit light but with RC 28 Sipe its absolutely brilliant Im not sure if I will use the 12 again for quite some time, or maybe just to use up some carts!!

Be very careful if u want a lightweight gun then don't buy bettinsoli or franchi they are almost the weight of a 12g the only light guns are Lincoln and some Webley & Scott at approx 6lbs the rest are over 7lbs heavy lumps based on 12g actions which are far from ideal !!!

The 20gauge Franchi weighs 6 3/4lb with a 28" barrel and is not built on the 12 gauge frame. They also have far better wood than entry level Berettas and Brownings etc for almost half the price. I have put maybe 7000 shells thru mine without incident. I think they are hard to beat for value from my experience of them.

Wouldn't touch a Turkish Webley and Scott with a bargepole though :ninja:

Huglu make the Webley 920K which is indeed on a true scaled down action, however the stock is on the long side with a large palm swell. I handled one today as we've got one in our next auction at work, they seem extremely well built for the money, steel shot proofed + 3" chambers to boot. If I was in the market for a 20 below £700, I'd go for a Huglu.

The 20gauge Franchi weighs 6 3/4lb with a 28" barrel and is not built on the 12 gauge frame. They also have far better wood than entry level Berettas and Brownings etc for almost half the price. I have put maybe 7000 shells thru mine without incident. I think they are hard to beat for value from my experience of them.

Wouldn't touch a Turkish Webley and Scott with a bargepole though :ninja:

Wow 6 3/4 lbs is a heavy old gun ....

Which is more like the weight of a bargepole u r lifting up lol

Nowt wrong with the Turks guns there making for many of the top branded gun makers and there's more gunsmiths out their than all other countrys and they have the best walnut in the world !

Wow 6 3/4 lbs is a heavy old gun ....

Which is more like the weight of a bargepole u r lifting up lol

Nowt wrong with the Turks guns there making for many of the top branded gun makers and there's more gunsmiths out their than all other countrys and they have the best walnut in the world !

Not if you want to shoot man sized loads or do 100 Sporting with it. I used to own a Silver Pigeon that was around 6lbs but the recoil was much more noticeable so I ended up selling it. The Franchi is definitely a keeper though.

Not if you want to shoot man sized loads or do 100 Sporting with it. I used to own a Silver Pigeon that was around 6lbs but the recoil was much more noticeable so I ended up selling it. The Franchi is definitely a keeper though.

Hahaha

If ur on the button then u dont need blunderbust loads.....

It makes me laugh what guys say about needing heavy loads when u can hit the bird and bust it with 28 grammes all day long in a 12g

I use 24/25 gramme loads in all my 20g guns its plenty enough, I have got 3 20g and certainly drops the birds at some very long ranges equal to my 12g and doesnt hardly recoil at all

The guy wanted recommendation on a lightweight gun thus I said look around 6lb for a 20g otherwise you may as well buy a 12g.....

I dont doubt your Franchi is lovely I like them too but they are a tad heavy in todays 20g world ....

Edited by blasterjudd

Sandspider - I'm 5'10" too, and quite a bit heavier than 12st, and I don't get any sense at all that the 61/2lb 20g I just bought is in any way too small or light. It doesn't feel like a girl's gun at all; it just feels right. The balance and handling feel better and more natural than my 12g. My 20g has 30" barrels and a great swing. I love using it and am shooting better. I would recommend 30" if you can get. Enjoy - I bet you do.