Recommend me a 20 gauge...

sandspider

One other thing - I assume sitsinhedges that you roll your own shells for the 20g too? Is it worth doing in 20g? I know it's not really worth it for clay loads / standard pigeon loads in 12g, and is worth it in .410 - but not sure about 20g?

Thank you.

Edited by sandspider

Pothunter, don't think you say which 20g you've just bought?!

I didn't mention the particular gun because it doesn't meet your criteria (it's not a secret, mind: it's a 725 hunter premium), and the point I was making was a general one: being lighter and slimmer just makes it more elegant, not a girl's gun. I've had much heavier/bigger guns in the past, but none given me as much enjoyment as this one. And I do think the 30" barrels gives you a better swing than the 28", which might be the more obvious choice in a 20.

Cheers.

One other thing - I assume sitsinhedges that you roll your own shells for the 20g too? Is it worth doing in 20g? I know it's not really worth it for clay loads / standard pigeon loads in 12g, and is worth it in .410 - but not sure about 20g?

Thank you.

Yep, I load 23grams of 7 1/2 for clays and 27grams of 6 for pigeons. I manage to do it at almost a 1/3rd of the price of factory loads by getting free lead for my shot and a few great deals on components. I keep saying I'm just going to use my 12gauge Urika and cheap factory loads for clays but then go and load another bucket full of 20g :oops:

I wouldn't rule out the Bettinsoli in 20b. I've had one, a 30" multichoke Silver model for about 8 or 9 years. A good looking gun in that price range and I've only had one minor issue with it, cost £32 at local gunsmith to repair. Have considered "upgrading" to either a Miroku or Browning but can't really justify the extra outlay.

Mr Potter

Edited by Mr Potter

Another vote for the Yildiz O/U. I have a 28ga SPZM and I'm saving up for one of their .410 SxS. You'll get a new 20ga SPZM for around £525 - they are well worth the money. I'd buy the whole set if I could afford it.

Also +1 to the chaps saying 24g for a 20ga - it's the traditional "low brass" load for a 20ga and plenty for pigeons (and almost anything else, come to think of it). I've taken some very long birds with my 28ga, loaded with even smaller numbers of pellets, so anyone who tells you that you should put 28g or more through a 20ga is missing the point.

Edited by neutron619

I had two Lincolns, I can't remember the names, but the low end one was a perfectly decent gun the high end one was very nice indeed.

Wish I hadn't sold it now :unhappy:

1st 20 I bought was a lincoln premier...very good starting gun/solid/safe/worked well........would also recommend them at your budget.

They are a man made resin/plastic stuff. Got some lovely Walnut grown and blown over in England, it was sliced up beautifully with a wood miser saw bench and is now ready for a furniture maker. A couple of pieces I have used to extend the butt on my Franchi, its very nice. Unfortunately there are no pieces suitable for a stock.

brought a browning 725 32" fantastic gun, been roost shooting pigeon all this month with it never once felt under gunned :good: used 28g 6s took some nice 35 yarders.Also patterned it at 35m and worked out almost the same choke for choke as my 12. But plastic wads do pattern a fair bit tighter

I've a Miroku Mk60 and Beretta SP, both 20g. Not in the price range you have in mind. However, I see you're Bristol Taunton based. I'm in Bristol. If you fancy a few shots with them to feel a 20 bore in action then pm me for mbl No. We could meet at Cleve shooting ground which meets every other Sunday. I think the next meet is 15 March (Mother's Day) then I'm away for 29th; or in the week (I'm retired) if you have somewhere to shoot. Bob.