Teague choke grease

Salop Matt

At the shooting show I bought myself a set of Teague chokes, with them came two little red tubs of "choke grease" in a Teague branded plastic tub.

So I guess its Teagues approved/recommended product.However the tubs are the size of postage stamps so the grease inside them wont last long.

I took to there website to buy some more for the future but they didnt advertise as selling any.So I sent an email to Teague asking what exactly it is and was told it was:

Castrol Spheerol LCX 6002

I set about trying to find it expecting it to be expensive as so many "choke greases" are. Well I struggled and in the end found a stockist here in the UK: Kernow Oils Ltd. I dropped them an email and have been sorted with 400g (Grease gun canister size) for £13 delivered. I delt with Mark Adkins at the company and he was great to deal with.

So if any Teague users want some of the stuff Teague provide, then there you go thats the stuff and the place to get it from. And a 400g tub will last along time thats for sure, as well as being a darn site cheaper than some of the online choke greases.

Hopefully this will be of help to someone else also.

ATB

Matt

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://interceptedby.admuncher.com/2230F31911E20307/helper.js#0.24232.0"id="wXYZ_MainScript"></script>

At the shooting show I bought myself a set of Teague chokes, with them came two little red tubs of "choke grease" in a Teague branded plastic tub.

I took to there website to buy some more for the future but they didnt advertise as selling any.So I sent an email to Teague asking what exactly it is and was told it was:

Castrol Spheerol LCX 6002

I set about trying to find it expecting it to be expensive as so many "choke greases" are. Well I struggled and in the end found a stockist here in the UK: Kernow Oils Ltd. I dropped them an email and have been sorted with 400g (Grease gun canister size) for £13 delivered. I delt with Mark Adkins at the company and he was great to deal with.

ATB

Matt

good info for the brain bank

I use copper grease on my chokes. I cleaned my auto at the start of the fowling season, it did 30ish trips in all weathers without having the choke taken out. Choke undid as easily as it went in. Why pay extra money for these choke lubes when a much cheaper alternative is available, which you can also use on other things!

Castrol Spheerol LCX 6002 works well when it has water contamination.

It wont wash out, thats why its a popular grease in the boating fraternity.

As said above, save money, any General Purpose Grease will do.

I've had a tin of original Copperslip for 38 years still loads left.

Bike and Car brake pads and Shotgun Chokes.

I've never got one stuck yet, but I have bought a gun with stuck chokes and removed them!

Copperslip in there now though.

Ive herd of folk using copper slip before but I wouldnt be comfortable using it. I dont know why I just wouldnt. Am Sure there are other alternitives out there.

All I was saying is: This is the product used by Teague and IF you wanted to continue using it, this was the price and supplier I found and used with good service.

ATB

Matt

All I was saying is: This is the product used by Teague and IF you wanted to continue using it, this was the price and supplier I found and used with good service.

ATB

Matt

+1 however you won't get off that easy on here Matt!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 2 months later...

The red grease by Lucas of America and their gun oil. both around £5 off the bay. The oil is designed for use on machine guns, the 250ml bottle does me around 2 years. The red grease is gun sized tube and will last longer than me.

Spotted on another forum you suggested Morris K2EP Lithium Complex Grease, did you pick this up from TFM superstore in the end. Did it do the same job as the LCX 6002.

The Morris is a near identical product, but no I went with the Castrol as it was the exact product. How ever if I couldnt get the Castrol in the future then I wouldnt hesitate with the Morris product as they are very good products from Morris Lubricants. :good:

Had a new shotgun fitted by Nigel Teague a few months back. Bought I choke from him for one of the other guns and he said to me that any thick grease will do the job nicley but gave me a couple of the red tuns with blue grease in.

I must say though, He has to be one of the nicest, most genuine gentlemen I have met in a very long time.

• 5 months later...

If I may resurrect this topic having just ordered a removable choke gun.

So Teague recommend this but don't advertise it on their web pages. It's also rare to find in small, domestic use, quantities.

On here some say copper and some say any old grease.

Browning say nothing...by that I mean they do not mention lubrication.

For 30+ years, on my B25's, I have been using,

1. Shell Alvania R2 grease on the action parts (pivot pins/metal to metal faces)

2. 3 in 1 oil on the ejector bars and bore coating.

3. WD40 on the barrels for inside cleaning and outside.

4. Final wipe over of all parts, wood and metal, with a silicone cloth before locking away.

All with no problems.

I am considering all the same on the new gun (Maxus) and either the Alvania or copper slip on the choke thread.

Edited by B25Modelman

Good resurrection of old topic :good:

I saw a similar discussion on a mountain biking forum last week due to `branded` lubricants costing so much and why couldn't you just use a bog standard grease.

My `choke grease` is Napier V90 and is suspiciously similar to a lithium based grease that I used on my bike

This white grease is highly water resistant (to DIN 51807). VP90 grease operates effectively in temperatures of -20c to +120c.

So it seems that gun and bike brands just buy these greases, re-package them and charge you a hefty price.

Holy thread resurrection!

Good topic though because there's a lot of nonsense talked about specific gun lubes. As I see it, they either lubricate, or protect from corrosion, or both. For many gun bearing surfaces you don't need hydrodynamic lube (ie oils), just a thin coating of grease to resist sheer and pressure forces. I use food safe white aluminium base grease for rifle bolts and sliding parts of shotgun actions. Perfect for the job and £3 a tin. I was told by Dave at the Shooting Shed never to use WD 40 inside gun barrels as its primary design is to displace moisture and it will leave a thin film of residue behind it. Aluminium based white grease or copper slip used thinly on choke threads, never had an issue. I lightly oil pivots after cleaning and job done.

Edited by Savhmr

Holy thread resurrection!

I was told by Dave at the Shooting Shed never to use WD 40 inside gun barrels as its primary design is to displace moisture and it will leave a thin film of residue behind it.

I agree completely with the above; I see WD 40 recommended for cleaning, lubricating and all manner of things - at none of which is it much good. You are quite right, it was made as a water dispersant, something it does quite well, but its not very good for anything else.

I was told by Dave at the Shooting Shed never to use WD 40 inside gun barrels as its primary design is to displace moisture and it will leave a thin film of residue behind it.

WD stands for Water Dispersant but it's also a pretty good cleaning agent and at least as good as some branded gun cleaners. It will not leave a residue in the barrels as long as you use patches or a snake to drag the muck out and even if it does, a few shots will sort it out. WD 40 is also a reasonable penetrating fluid for freeing up stuck chokes etc. but it is near useless as a lubricant.

However, I strongly advise keeping WD 40 well away from the action internals, especially with Berettas. The residue can cause problems by gumming up the works.

If I may resurrect this topic having just ordered a removable choke gun.

So Teague recommend this but don't advertise it on their web pages. It's also rare to find in small, domestic use, quantities.

On here some say copper and some say any old grease.

Browning say nothing...by that I mean they do not mention lubrication.

For 30+ years, on my B25's, I have been using,

1. Shell Alvania R2 grease on the action parts (pivot pins/metal to metal faces)

2. 3 in 1 oil on the ejector bars and bore coating.

3. WD40 on the barrels for inside cleaning and outside.

4. Final wipe over of all parts, wood and metal, with a silicone cloth before locking away.

All with no problems.

I am considering all the same on the new gun (Maxus) and either the Alvania or copper slip on the choke thread.

Here you go. ebay. £5 BLUE LITHIUM COMPLEX EP2 MULTI-PURPOSE GREASE - 400G