I am prepared to be disappointed.

JDog

This morning I had a call from an Estate owner who told me that quite a lot of pigeons had just arrived on his rape and would I do something about them? I told him that I had seen them for a month but that his gamekeeper would not let me on even after the shooting season had finished. I now have a pass to bypass the said keeper.

There were 'a lot of pigeons' too, probably about 400. Numbers like that do not excite me nowadays as I have seen that number and more just get up and go. What did excite me greatly was that the pigeons were coming from woods some distance away, flighting over a tongue of woodland, over a deep valley and into a rape field at the other side of the valley.

I have tried to show some of this in the two pictures. The first shows the tongue of woodland which the birds were following before heading out over the valley. The second shows scrubby woodland on a bank leading up to the rape field on the right. Do I try to decoy them or do I stand in the valley bottom and try to shoot high flighting birds? I will let on what happens after I go on Saturday.

DSC06074.jpg

DSC06077.jpg

Had it all over the years with wanna be keepers, few examples, set gas gun up on same field as I was shooting, changed lock on barrier locking me in, sent someone else to shoot same field as me, had the cheek to ask me for £20 a day to shoot pigeons. Anyway moan over hope you have a good day whatever way you play it.

The coming month's will hopefully provide plenty of opportunities for decoying on spring drillings etc, i reckon you will have a stiff breeze on Saturday with an overcast sky, i think you should have a lovely afternoon flighting the birds in the valley bottom and show us how it's done!

Good luck.

I fail to see how you could possibly be disappointed with a day in surroundings like that pigeons in the bag or not.

I won't be disappointed no matter how many I get. That valley is just magical. I watched a procession of pigeons for some time this afternoon going over it and that gave me enormous pleasure.

The coming month's will hopefully provide plenty of opportunities for decoying on spring drillings etc, i reckon you will have a stiff breeze on Saturday with an overcast sky, i think you should have a lovely afternoon flighting the birds in the valley bottom and show us how it's done!

Good luck.

I have never claimed to be able to show anyone how it is done. My normal claim is just the opposite as you know. However I am a tad excited about this particular scenario.

I wonder why keepers have an attitude maybe it is the continual almost daily harassment by people who would like permission,the wannabe pigeon shooters who cut holes in hedges ,leave rubbish and cartridges,throw dead birds in the hedge bottom,park in the most ignorant of places or even drive on crops.when you have invested so much time and effort into an estate is it wrong to be just a little peeved when some random muppet who claims to be a "pest controller" comes along and enjoys a days shooting Having done nothing for the estate whilst you the keeper are stuck working

Edited by Bitfitter

Boy are you going to miss that when you move to the flat lands. :/

Haha make the most of it jdog .the only time us flat land shooters see landscapes like that are on postcards and holiday brochures ;-)