What Would YOU Like To Change In The Seasons ( IF ANY ) ?

marsh man

Been given Brent by an essex farmer, who was allowed to shoot ex amount on licence for crop protection, and believe me they are rank. Make shoveler taste like best scallops! So other than for sport, leave them be. Like to see pheasant season start a month later, as October pheasants are not strong or feathered enough till November on most shoots. And extent their season till end February . Keep partridge and inland duck as they are, as always seem to be paired/ pairing up by late jan, early February.

its the person who give you the answer who have to be careful :lol:

Depends if they shot them Legally or not MM.I regularly have a License to shoot small numbers and they soon become wary also they have no problem flying high out of range. Would I want them back on the Quarry List !!!!! No.

Now Bean Geese that's another story

We've had bag limits of 6 per flight or 12 per day since 1970. Our licensor wanted us to give up February, but we chose to give up September instead.

Am I right in thinking your bag limits are for duck ? , and do the Grey geese go down as far as Dorset.

I have got the video the Dorset W A made several years ago , seen it loads of times and still enjoy it every time I watch it. Do you shoot the same area " rjmmer " ? as it looks a lovely place for wildfowling .

There have been three Tundra Beans with the feral greylags for the past month on the reserve I do wildfowl counts on. Small numbers of them also on my broadland shoot a month ago again Tundra Beans. Strange the local Forest Bean geese have never apeared. But the English population of both races only totals a few hundred these days and the Forest beans seem to be dwindling every year, despite being common on mainland Europe.

I should point out as staited in my first post the brent I have eaten were all shot under licence for crop protection , but not by me.

Edited by anser2

Am I right in thinking your bag limits are for duck ? , and do the Grey geese go down as far as Dorset.

I have got the video the Dorset W A made several years ago , seen it loads of times and still enjoy it every time I watch it. Do you shoot the same area " rjmmer " ? as it looks a lovely place for wildfowling .

Just Canada Geese down here. By the time it's cold enough for the occasional Whitefront to show up there's a ban in force. Used to be in DWA and might rejoin. Never been shooting in Poole Harbour, where you can't do anything without a boat.

I don't think Brent would stay 'tame' for very long if they were shot at.

Edited by rjimmer

Several Tundra Bean Geese this season Robert. Whilst I agree there are not big numbers around in Winter unlike say Brent or Barnacle Geese the Bean Goose is very very hard to tell apart from Pinks in flight and as the 2 place I know they get Bean Geese in the UK are protected IMHO I'd like to see them back on the Quarry List so IF one is shot from eg Pinks nobody is going to get prosecuted for shooting a Protected Goose.

As you have stated they are a Very numerous Goose in many countries.

When they was on the Quarry List how many people do you know went chasing Bean Geese !!!!

Again IMHO the lack of Whitefronts and Bean Geese coming to the UK is Climate change Look what happens if Germany France Belgium to name 3 gets hard prolonged weather a Big influx of Whitefronts and Bean Geese to the UK.

Has us losing the Bean Goose off the Quarry List seen a increase !!! No.

Protection in the UK will have no effect on the large Tundra Beans European population. We had a flock of several hundred 3-4 years ago on the North Norfolk coast and they were a nightmare to sort out from the pinks on an overcast day but on a sunny morning their orange legs realy stood out in flight. If you scan a field of several hundred pinks again they standout because they are 6 inches taller than the pinks , but in the half light of dawn impossable to split from pinks.

For Tiga beans the story is a little different. The Scandinavian breeding population ( the source of our birds ) is declining fast. Some years ago I was working in the Swedish Arctic and I spent some time looking for them without any luck , but the most common goose up there were canadas, they were everywhere.

Edited by anser2

Displacement by the Canadas possibly?

Protection in the UK will have no effect on the large Tundra Beans European population. We had a flock of several hundred 3-4 years ago on the North Norfolk coast and they were a nightmare to sort out from the pinks on an overcast day but on a sunny morning their orange legs realy stood out in flight. If you scan a field of several hundred pinks again they standout because they are 6 inches taller than the pinks , but in the half light of dawn impossable to split from pinks.

For Tiga beans the story is a little different. The Scandinavian breeding population ( the source of our birds ) is declining fast. Some years ago I was working in the Swedish Arctic and I spent some time looking for them without any luck , but the most common goose up there were canadas, they were everywhere.

I do not think so for its one thing about Arctic Scandinavia is the abundance of wetland and space. And some of them are vast. I was mainly working at Lake Ansjon and the lake was 25 miles by 20 and with lots of connected marsh and waterways. There were about 25 pairs of canada there , so lots of space for other geese. We are used to seeing big flocks of wildfowl on our marshes and lakes , but up there you can look at lake after lake which just have the odd pair of mallard or tufted duck and perhaps every 4th or 5th lake might have a pair of wigeon , scoter or goldeneye while similar sized lakes in this country you would expect to see plenty of breeding pairs of mallard and a selection of less common duck ( tufted,pochard or gadwall ect ). Its true the geese do tend to nest in groups , but nothing like the snow geese nesting grounds you see on the TV , more likely 6-10 pairs and many lakes have no geese at all despite abundant nesting islands and plenty of food.

That's a $64,000 question Penelope ! Its interesting that tundra beans and pink feet both mainly feed on farmland crops and both populations are doing very well. In contrast Tiga Beans at least in England mainly feed on unimproved grassland , a habitat that is quite uncommon in England these days. I am not sure , but I think they also favour the same habitat in Denmark their main wintering area along with Holland.

Also from my very limited experiance with bean geese they are not as wary and " street wise " as pinks so hunting mortality could also be a factor.

Edited by anser2

Thanks, I find all this stuff very interesting.

That's a $64,000 question Penelope ! Its interesting that tundra beans and pink feet both mainly feed on farmland crops and both populations are doing very well. In contrast Tiga Beans at least in England mainly feed on unimproved grassland , a habitat that is quite uncommon in England these days. I am not sure , but I think they also favour the same habitat in Denmark their main wintering area along with Holland.

Also from my very limited experiance with bean geese they are not as wary and " street wise " as pinks so hunting mortality could also be a factor.