Beans

Crash72

Drill if your lucky with any spilled beans on top but be quick, and harvest time. They are not interested in the growing plant.

We have shot good bags over drilled beans when they are green and three or four inches tall, I understand it's not the greenery they are after but just because it's germinated doesn't mean you won't shoot them on it, as said though this doesn't last long and the worse the drill is the better the shooting is!

We have shot good bags over drilled beans when they are green and three or four inches tall, I understand it's not the greenery they are after but just because it's germinated doesn't mean you won't shoot them on it, as said though this doesn't last long and the worse the drill is the better the shooting is!

Yes Ive shot some nice bags over fresh drilled beans in the past but not these days with the efficient drill rigs used unfortunately. only chance on my permissions is a drill fault or spillage, much the same with the peas shot in deep into the ground with virtually no spillage, but fingers crossed for when the peas break through. .

Gone are the days of seed spills, iffy drilling and the farmers leaving stubble plus lose crop seed alone to let the weed grow on before ploughing in.

Observation is key, nobody can tell you the best time, it's up to you to moniter activity, if birds are in the area it could be the same or next day, if they have to find it then four or five days but the longer it goes on the more chance of germination.

I agree that drills are very efficient but operators are not always the best and there may well be areas where seed has been spilled and certainly where the drill turns is always a favourite, we have shot over bean fields that look devoid of beans on the surface but the pigeons seem to find them

Hey folks,

A little advice please. The two farms I shoot over are putting beans down next week. When would be the best time to shoot?

Many thanks in advance,

Crash

I think that you should ask me along to advise........with my gun of course.

don't say that i'm waiting for some to be drilled in silby lol thought i'd be on to a good thing.

Mike

It might be great, last year was the first time we put them in since the new nitrogen fixing rules came in, I was expecting good shooting, the birds stuck to the wheat and rape.

We considered peas, but every other farm around us went for that so we took a chance, paid off, the whole lot went for human consumption, wonga.

We're considering millet too, if I can't get a decent bag of pigeons whilst growing ******* bird seed I'm giving up!

• 2 weeks later...

Some days they are on it right after drilling and sometimes it takes a while so try to recce it every day as often as you can. Be aware that sometimes they commit to the field for one day only and never come back again until harvest so when you go for a recce take your gear with you. If they are on it don't wait until the next day to get stuck in. Even if they are hammering it don't set up until you have established the flight lines in and out. Good luck.

Some days they are on it right after drilling and sometimes it takes a while so try to recce it every day as often as you can. Be aware that sometimes they commit to the field for one day only and never come back again until harvest so when you go for a recce take your gear with you. If they are on it don't wait until the next day to get stuck in. Even if they are hammering it don't set up until you have established the flight lines in and out. Good luck.

This is a good post.

Hey folks,

A little advice please. The two farms I shoot over are putting beans down next week. When would be the best time to shoot?

Many thanks in advance,

Crash

Hi Crash,

Forgot to mention that if beans are going in on two farms, two fields or even one big one, you should be prepared to "flag off" the areas on which you wish to deter pigeons from feeding. I have found that a combination of flags and rope bangers work best. This is assuming the farmer doesn't object and there is no fire risk. I hang two lines of bangers in each position to provide a level of redundancy in case one rope fails. If you are lucky enough to be set up in a great location with lots of traffic the last thing you want is to have to leave the hide to sort out something you could have done properly in the first place. Watching birds pile into your pattern while you are fiddling about with something 300 yards away can be frustrating.

Good luck,

Milo.

Edited by Milo

I can remember a day on a newly sown bean field that was supposed to be a golden day only to sit out the day frozen to the marrow and fighting all day to keep the hide from ending up down in the hedge down in the bottom of the field. I don’t think that I had more than half a dozen chances before I called a halt to it.
For some reason the birds never even looked at that field which was a bit surprising because there were two good strong lines over it and we had shot some very good bags when the previous wheat stubble had been left for a couple of weeks and then left disked. Basically we were decoying on dirt. There would have to be a fair amount of birds on the field for me to set up if it was as cold a day like this morning was. Experience has shown me that it aint no fun getting hypothermia waiting for birds that don’t show up.

I can remember a day on a newly sown bean field that was supposed to be a golden day only to sit out the day frozen to the marrow and fighting all day to keep the hide from ending up down in the hedge down in the bottom of the field. I don’t think that I had more than half a dozen chances before I called a halt to it.

For some reason the birds never even looked at that field which was a bit surprising because there were two good strong lines over it and we had shot some very good bags when the previous wheat stubble had been left for a couple of weeks and then left disked. Basically we were decoying on dirt. There would have to be a fair amount of birds on the field for me to set up if it was as cold a day like this morning was. Experience has shown me that it aint no fun getting hypothermia waiting for birds that don’t show up.

That's what I found last year, on drill and on harvest, nothing, nadder.