Shooting myths

the hitman

Everyone who gets decent bags of pigeons is only shooting country pigeons not semi tame town pigeons.

you seem to have a knocking view on people who shoot decent, good bags regulary and I quote from your profile

Just because some folks reckon they get big bags regularly does not mean they are good at pigeon decoying.

It means they are in a good area that has a lot of pigeons around.

You need a lot of pigeons about to get big bags.

Remember would they be able to do it on your permissions as regularly as they make out they are doing it on their permission.

You do not have to be good at decoying or a good shot you just need a lot of pigeons to get these big bags.

Edited by yickdaz

you seem to have a knocking view on people who shoot decent, good bags regulary and I quote from your profile

Just because some folks reckon they get big bags regularly does not mean they are good at pigeon decoying.

Remember would they be able to do it on your permissions as regularly as they make out they are doing it on their permission.

You do not have to be good at decoying or a good shot you just need a lot of pigeons to get these big bags.

I think this bloke may be a little envious of those who shoot more pigeons than him.

I think someone who is good at decoying and can shoot well is much more likely to get a decent bag on any permission than someone who can do niether .

Not a lot of point in having lots of pigeon if you cannot hit them ,

I have certainly taken people out who would need 1000+ shots to get a 100 bag and lets face it in reality it is never going to happen for them , that said as long as they are happy who cares.

I think someone who is good at decoying and can shoot well is much more likely to get a decent bag on any permission than someone who can do niether .

Not a lot of point in having lots of pigeon if you cannot hit them ,

I have certainly taken people out who would need 1000+ shots to get a 100 bag and lets face it in reality it is never going to happen for them , that said as long as they are happy who cares.

thing is some of it is true, but I agree with you, if you don,t look, and put the miles in, then find the right spot to set up in and not set up on a field with no promise of a decent day, then get your set up right, then shoot straight so according to his rant none of that is true what I just said

Edited by yickdaz

It is just my opinion i am not asking anyone to agree with it.I am entitled to mine as you are to yours.

I think this bloke may be a little envious of those who shoot more pigeons than him.

Not at all if i wanted to shoot more pigeons i would not let folks i take out have most of the shooting.

If i think there might be a decent day on the cards i usually ask someone else along.

I don`t have to stroke my ego by not inviting anyone with me so i can shoot a decent bag of pigeons.

Most of these big bags are down to there shooting skills, I've seen people go through a few box's of cartridges for a hand full of birds.

Field craft comes in when you are shooting over winter crops like rape when they are in flocks.

We've all seen the 500+ on a field set up for them not to return.

Don't forget you get better the more you do so the best thing is to take advise from the old more experienced shooters

Going away slightly from the topic...............i think some people are worried at putting the decoys out tooo close...and they place the pattern out at 40 or so yds....the whole "art" of the process is to get them into a position where you can effectivly kill them...i will always put my pattern out at 25 yds....and i dont adhere too much to the shape...just as long as most of them are facing into the wind............

Not at all if i wanted to shoot more pigeons i would not let folks i take out have most of the shooting.

If i think there might be a decent day on the cards i usually ask someone else along.

I don`t have to stroke my ego by not inviting anyone with me so i can shoot a decent bag of pigeons.

I think this is getting a bit silly!!

Clearly, to shoot a large bag you need a lot of birds in the area, I don't expect anyone can shoot more than 5 or 10% of the population. Equally clearly, you need enough fieldcraft skills to draw the birds within range - this will vary according to "bird type", the area you are in,wind, time of day, food available and probably a dozen other factors.

Finally, you need to be a decent but not expert shot. If you keep missing, even dumb town birds are going to get the idea and stop coming back.

Finally, yes, I am envious of those that can regularly get a big bag but good luck to them. I'm just not so fortunate.

Town pigeons do decoy easier at least on my permissions they do. So what makes some people so great they can mock others opinions. I have been shooting more or less 30 years and in my experience they do. Are some people so great that they think they know how other peoples permissions shoot better than the people who actually spend time there shooting.

As long as you make the best of the scenarios you're given you can do nothing more....some people do make more of the situations they find themselves in though and thus shout bigger bags,end of story really. Being a better than average shot helps massively too!

Some areas clearly hold more pigeons than others, hence why bigger bags are generally reported as the norm in certain areas, that's just how it is and largely down to cropping/woodland/terrain etc in my opinion.

Experience plays such a massive part, you can't gain that without going out lots and working things out for yourself (and messing things up). Knowing the fields you shoot/best spots is also an art which you pick up as you go along.

How can everyone tell the difference between town and country pigeons? Do town pigeons arrive on a bus, wearing gold chains and smoking a roll up? You still have to kill them first shot because I'm fairly sure they react the same to 30g of 6s whizzing past their head!

You can make big bags any where, it's all about keeping an eye out for that little wiggly flightline and shooting 176 between 2 guns, on a strip of thin barley 6" wide along the side of a cover crop, without a town or city in sight!

Edited by kennett

Town pigeons do decoy easier at least on my permissions they do. So what makes some people so great they can mock others opinions. I have been shooting more or less 30 years and in my experience they do. Are some people so great that they think they know how other peoples permissions shoot better than the people who actually spend time there shooting.

It seems that some people do think they know better than those actually there but that;s forums....

How can everyone tell the difference between town and country pigeons? Do town pigeons arrive on a bus, wearing gold chains and smoking a roll up? You still have to kill them first shot because I'm fairly sure they react the same to 30g of 6s whizzing past their head!

You can make big bags any where, it's all about keeping an eye out for that little wiggly flightline and shooting 176 between 2 guns, on a strip of thin barley 6" wide along the side of a cover crop, without a town or city in sight!

or they could be taking a shortcut over the towns to the field they want

I got a good idea they are town pigeons when I'm sat on one side of a field and the other side is a road and the other side of the road is a housing estate , where you can clearly see pigeons coming from. Funnily enough there's not a gold chain in sight. What there is sometimes is the odd one or two with peanuts ,sunflower seeds or various other bird table seeds in there crops. As far as I know there ain't many fields of peanuts around here, and they do decoy easier. I'm not saying they are completely stupid you still have to be in the right place ,have a realistic pattern and most importantly hit em when they decoy. I'm not knocking anyone who shoots big bags good on em I would love to regulary shoot bags like that. All I'm saying is for the amount of pigeons I see on my permissions near built up areas which is usually less than not built up areas on average more come to the decoys. And don't go round in one or two flocks.

I got a good idea they are town pigeons when I'm sat on one side of a field and the other side is a road and the other side of the road is a housing estate , where you can clearly see pigeons coming from. Funnily enough there's not a gold chain in sight. What there is sometimes is the odd one or two with peanuts ,sunflower seeds or various other bird table seeds in there crops. As far as I know there ain't many fields of peanuts around here, and they do decoy easier. I'm not saying they are completely stupid you still have to be in the right place ,have a realistic pattern and most importantly hit em when they decoy. I'm not knocking anyone who shoots big bags good on em I would love to regulary shoot bags like that. All I'm saying is for the amount of pigeons I see on my permissions near built up areas which is usually less than not built up areas on average more come to the decoys. And don't go round in one or two flocks.

One of my farmers grows several fields of brown bread, just outside Dunmow!!