Dogs Claws

Yellow Bear

Small challenge with the dog - A sprocker if this is relevant. Being a normal spaniel she is in to everything but has recently started to suffer from split claws - normally we catch this when we check and and clip the effected claw, however the last occurrence left her with a small infection and lame for a week. We have now noticed another split forming so will keep a close eye on it.

The question is what can we do to stop this?

Don't know if it's relevant to your situation or not but there are a couple of reasons I have seen for frequent cracked claws. The first is actually an infection in the paw that can go unnoticed but causes the claws to crack.

The other is environmental and usually due to constantly wet paws (poorly draining kennels) etc.

If you find it early enough a drop of superglue can stop the crack spreading.

I suffer with my skin cracking around my fingers and thumb from time to time due to dermatitis and I used some stuff called new skin it's kind of like liquid plastic and sets to a semi firm. It stings like hell when you first put it on but then takes away any further pain completely might be worth a go.