PC Weekly Report

pigeon controller

No wanting to bore people with my reports but we set out as normal 08.00 Friday morning in pursuit of the elusive Wood Pigeon. Scanning the local rape fields proved fruitless so we spread our net wider looking at fields that we shot last week which had birds down but just pulling up in the Disco spooked them. We drove down a track to a field that we have not shot for three weeks only to find two lads walking up , one with a gun, we passed the time of day and they informed us that they had just spooked fifteen off the field and they were going to shoot it . We wished them well and drove on. We found a field of rape which had birds down and two good flightlines in to it . We left it so that they could have a feed and I took DB to the Bacon Wagon so he could feed his inner self. We went back to the field and watched it for a further twenty minutes trying to see the preferred landing area and to decide the hide position, which would be critical to bag up on the flock. Everything agreed we drove to the field and set up, we had the normal twelve thawed bird and put ten on cradles and used the magnet as we wanted every bird passing to see the pattern. We started shooting at 12.00 and had birds comming at us constantly which gave us some great shooting. We ended the day at 16.30 and picked up one hundred and eighty birds , when I dropped DB off we had covered ninety two miles in pursuit of our quarry, great day.

Saturday was a wet cloudy start with the Lickeys ( Local Hills) shrouded in mist as we drove out of the city. We had seen some birds the week before on some sheep turnips and decided the have a look. We had a phone call from one of our farmers who was on his rape and said it was covered can we come and sort them out. So we changed direction and headed out down the motorway to the farm in question.

We intended to only shoot the morning as we had been invited by Topgunners to go roost shooting in the evening. We scanned the field and it had no birds on it , so we drove to the farm, the farmer said it was covered this morning???? . We went to view the field and as we did we noticed a number of birds down hard against the edge, we had shot this farm a few weeks ago and the majority of the birds came in the late afternoon. So we decided the give it ago, we informed Topgunners that we could not make the roost shoot and thanked them for the invite. We set up in the same hide position we had used before as it was a good crossing point of two fields. We put out twelve fresh birds from the day before on cradles in the tallest part of the rape. The first bird in landed in the pattern , so we had got that right, it was now 11.00 and the birds we had spooked off the field came back and paid the price. The shooting was continuous for the next two hours then it was as if the tap had been turned off , we had no birds come for approx one hour . We thought it was all over and nearly packed up to go roost shooting. It started again and we shot till 16.30 and started the pick up the slain birds from the two fields . We picked up two hundred and two birds for the picture , the dog found another one when we went back to the Disco. We had covered another fifty miles but it was well worth it . Mega Weekend.

8609e3c1-8903-475f-9be9-afbc9267d30e_zpsff26b1dc-5e30-410e-959a-07e10e0bdf0d_zps

I have worked out where we might be going wrong P C , could it be the spikes or cradles we use , or can you disclose the brand of freezer you use as mine might freeze them to hard :lol:

Don't bother to drive down to our area PLEASE , as two of your weekends would put our pigeon population on the endangered list :lol: .

The work and effort you two put in and how you see a situation put you two in a different league ...... Thanks for sharing .

I have worked out where we might be going wrong P C , could it be the spikes or cradles we use , or can you disclose the brand of freezer you use as mine might freeze them to hard :lol:

Don't bother to drive down to our area PLEASE , as two of your weekends would put our pigeon population on the endangered list :lol: .

The work and effort you two put in and how you see a situation put you two in a different league ...... Thanks for sharing .

That is how I see it too.