struggling on rape

stuy

Had 3 fellow shooters giving me a hand on some elusive pigeon, found 3 good fields with a healthy population of woodpigeon on them , they had been left in peace for at least 8 wks, good lines into the field s , set up at 10,30 am walked the pigeon off the field only again for us as usual they didnt return! Couldn't believe it but hey ho!, had a drive round after and found them in a super flock of at least 1000+ birds, about a mile and half away, very frustrating indeed but will of course persevere, we just have so much rape its getting nye impossible to pin them down,( the efforts from mr moustache pc are an inspiration ).

I had the same today stuy .

had 500 plus birds hitting some OSR one min and then back resting up in a wood on other side of the road , had a few small flocks of about 20 bobbing about which looked like it might give me a bit of sport , they had other ideas though haha , no interest in decoying what so ever , I even had rope bangers down there but STILL couldn't get them to lift out , wood is not my perm , and is on other side of road , thus not shootable else I would have flighted the ******* . will have another look tomorrow .

Just a question Stuy, have you gas guns on the rape fields ?????

no gas guns a couple of kites (hawk type on pole ) , I used 35 decoys , a flapper, magnet, hide was spot on , but they moved on no one else shoots this land I find it very puzzling indeed. It wouldn't be so bad if they came back but didn't decoy, but not to come back at all?

no gas guns a couple of kites (hawk type on pole ) , I used 35 decoys , a flapper, magnet, hide was spot on , but they moved on no one else shoots this land I find it very puzzling indeed. It wouldn't be so bad if they came back but didn't decoy, but not to come back at all?

I assume that you have seen them feeding hard on this land??

A similar result for me, today. I found over 1500 pigeons split over about 5 fields. I thought i'd set up, even though I wasn't confident that the pigeons would play ball. I'm unfamiliar with the ground, so wanted to watch lines etc. The pigeons just decided to sit in nearby trees and I was helpless, really. I'm confident that i'll be able to fill my boots there in a few weeks time, but It is frustrating at the moment. I had just 4 pigeons visit the decoys, 3 not leaving again. Oh well, I may have more joy on the maize in the morning.

A similar result for me, today. I found over 1500 pigeons split over about 5 fields. I thought i'd set up, even though I wasn't confident that the pigeons would play ball. I'm unfamiliar with the ground, so wanted to watch lines etc. The pigeons just decided to sit in nearby trees and I was helpless, really. I'm confident that i'll be able to fill my boots there in a few weeks time, but It is frustrating at the moment. I had just 4 pigeons visit the decoys, 3 not leaving again. Oh well, I may have more joy on the maize in the morning.

Good luck on the Maize, we've got fields on some farms that will not decoy and we leave well alone. The birds we hope will split when they start to mate and give us a chance.

Good luck on the Maize, we've got fields on some farms that will not decoy and we leave well alone. The birds we hope will split when they start to mate and give us a chance.

I,m waiting till the rape grows the heart now couple of bare areas which they should be attracted to when it starts growing again but at the moment they have left the rape fields completetly , can,t shoot whats not there, the drillings won,t be far off few fields been turned in on my travels today so I,ll keep an eye on them next few weeks

Edited by yickdaz

Not many shooters will have your experience stuy and if you can't do it not many others would be able to do it.

There have been quite a number of other posts over the last few months where the word 'frustration' has appeared but this is nothing unusual for shooting winter rape. The picture looks good on arriving at the field, flight lines are determined, the decision is made to set up, then nothing.

As you say there are lots of pigeons in your area. Some will still be around for the drillings and you and your buddies will be rewarded for your efforts on the rape with some good days.

Guest stevo

Right then ... im off for another bash at the OSR .

Wind has picked right up so best grab my hair net .

Good luck to anyone else who is having a go today .

The problem of lots of birds about, but them not staying on one field, is a problem most Winters in my area.

By travelling light and keeping on the move I can usually get some good shooting, but not in the big drilling/harvest numbers.

The situation usually gets better in March, either because the flocks break up a bit, or because of the crops growth, which really kicks off after the first nitrogen/sulphur doses, which are normally early in March.

I assume that you have seen them feeding hard on this land??

yes they were hitting it hard the field looks like a mower has been over it! I am going out in the week and I will either walk birds off or let a shot off and I will follow them, I won't set up just watch what they do and to were they go, it is of course frustrating but also interesting to see movement's

yes they were hitting it hard the field looks like a mower has been over it! I am going out in the week and I will either walk birds off or let a shot off and I will follow them, I won't set up just watch what they do and to were they go, it is of course frustrating but also interesting to see movement's

Good luck.

Had the same problem all week. Brand new permission and when the farmer showed me the fields 500+ on them. On Tuesday managed 12 before they swapped fields. Thursday and Saturday had 2 of us out covering 2 fields and managed 5 and 10 between us.

The pigeon just moved onto the next farm.

Was spraying rape round Ross Vegas on Friday, saw some of your flock Stuy! Have hit some fields really hard and left others alone, no rhyme or reason to it!

Think the same flock is moving about 3 miles between edge of ross, up over A40, over some of Mr G's, glew stone, selluck then kings caple.

Loads of rape fields. Will get easier when spring drilling starts.

In my experiance i have found you need to be out early. Ideally before first light this time of year.

Often you will find Pigeons head to feeding ground in smaller groups then when they leave they leave in one big group and often not to return.

Early bird catchs some lead!!!

In my experiance i have found you need to be out early. Ideally before first light this time of year.

Often you will find Pigeons head to feeding ground in smaller groups then when they leave they leave in one big group and often not to return.

Early bird catchs some lead!!!

I agree but you will have to move to continue shooting. I've stated my opinion on this in the passed. The first birds into roost have fed well but digest overnight and are first out in the morning returning to the good food source. The others in the roost follow so you get them appear at that field , you shoot and spook the rest to make them find another field. They can go a number of days with out feeding hard but when they do is the time to shoot them. All you have to find is the feeding field and that's the hard bit . Good luck.