Skeet Advice Needed With Killing Pairs

PeaceFrog

Can someone share some advice with shooting pairs on the skeet? I've got the singles sorted, more or less, but as for the best technique of shooting pairs I have no idea and I don't hit them both very often.

If someone could clarify which they go for first and how to go about hitting the second it would be really helpful, I can't find a source online that states this clearly. Thanks.

4.03 The first target to be shot at in singles on stations 1 through 6 will be the target from the High House but, on station 7, it must be the Low House target.

4.04 The first target to be shot at in Doubles on stations 1 and 2 will be the High House, and on stations 6 and 7 will be the Low House.

Ah thanks Welsh, just found this from Englishskeetrules.co.uk, and you cleared up stand 4.

And Auntie I think you are probably right, I'll keep that in mind.

Don't look for lead in the second bird of a pair, especially on station 4 .Measure the correct lead on the high house and take it as soon as you can ( within 2-3 yards of the center peg ) then just make shure you are in front of the low house bird just pull the trigger when in front of the clay the gun speed will take care of the lead as long as you are in front and keep the gun moving .

Deershooter

Edited by deershooter

PRACTICE...PRACTICE...PRACTICE

Everbody has their own technique and as mentioned before...impossible to coach online...there could be many reasons from stance, gunfit to technique. However with pairs, most people tend to start rushing when they shoot them compared to singles.... realising they need to shoot quicker...which they do....But because they are most likely taking their time on the singles and most likely aceing them more often than not, when it comes to pairs they have to shoot that first target quicker which they are not used to, and shoot differently ending up missing both or only hitting 1 out of the 2...

Try taking the singles quicker, getting your technique more suited to the speed change, you know where its going and where you have to go awterwards and with practice you will soon find you have more than enough time for the second...... I have always been a snap shooter and even on skeet pairs find myself dismounting and remounting taking the second bird as its own seperate target...this allows me to mount onto the line and gauge the speed quicker....and more often than not gets me moving right through the target.....

But its finding what you are comfortable with.... and most of all making sure of that first target..... after all...if you miss that , the most you will get is 1 out of the pair......

Thanks for the advice, it has helped, at least mentally. I understand it's impossible to coach through a forum but I just needed a textbook understanding of how to go about, which I think I got from the replies so thank you. That video was very neat r813, thanks for sharing that.

And njb73 so far I've always shot gun up and ready so to picture calling pull, mounting, killing, de-mounting, mounting again and killing the second sounds pretty impressive, you must be quick!.

Thanks r813, i'll save that and thanks also Shooterluke, I just found that set of videos earlier today (couldn't seem to find them before??), they're really helpful. I might buy a dvd set and another lesson too. It sure is a great and horribly expensive sport! This forum helps a great deal though :good:

Its all to do with practice .... its what i have done since i was given coaching when i was a young lad...and have just carried it forward as it worked for me. The only discipline i shoot mounted is DTL...... Unfortunately i cant follow a slow target....if i mount and follow for a long time....90% miss for me....so i call it count to 5 or 10 depending and treat it like skeet target...

Getting comfortable with your mounting and stance is a big part...once it becomes natural you dont think about it... it just happens.... but that takes time....and many many many clays.....

I remember spending at least 30 minutes every night as 15/16 year old practicing in my parents hallway mounting on the corner of the ceiling and following to the next, dismounting , mounting and returning back on the line , slowly to start, making sure i followed the line...and eventually picking up speed and changing mounting points on the line corner to corner...then top corner to bottom corner.....

For me.... it really helped me get used to the weight and handling of the gun, getting me to mount into my shoulder correctly and my head onto the stock correctly and consistantly the same way......

i can reccomend night time duck/ teal shooting on the shoreline and pigeons for getting those reactions better....

Guest Mick.j

Its all to do with practice .... its what i have done since i was given coaching when i was a young lad...and have just carried it forward as it worked for me. The only discipline i shoot mounted is DTL...... Unfortunately i cant follow a slow target....if i mount and follow for a long time....90% miss for me....so i call it count to 5 or 10 depending and treat it like skeet target...

Getting comfortable with your mounting and stance is a big part...once it becomes natural you dont think about it... it just happens.... but that takes time....and many many many clays.....

I remember spending at least 30 minutes every night as 15/16 year old practicing in my parents hallway mounting on the corner of the ceiling and following to the next, dismounting , mounting and returning back on the line , slowly to start, making sure i followed the line...and eventually picking up speed and changing mounting points on the line corner to corner...then top corner to bottom corner.....

For me.... it really helped me get used to the weight and handling of the gun, getting me to mount into my shoulder correctly and my head onto the stock correctly and consistantly the same way......

i can reccomend night time duck/ teal shooting on the shoreline and pigeons for getting those reactions better....

Just a point of note - you should mount a gun to the cheek first, then the shoulder in one motion. Your head should be upright/still and looking at the 'bird' when you mount a gun, and not to roll/put your head onto a stock. BUT whatever suits you

• 2 weeks later...

Just a point of note - you should mount a gun to the cheek first, then the shoulder in one motion. Your head should be upright/still and looking at the 'bird' when you mount a gun, and not to roll/put your head onto a stock. BUT whatever suits you

As you say ...each has their own individual techniques.... i have always been the trusty...Move....Mount....Shoot.... Somehow Mount...Move....Shoot ... wouldnt be productive in hitting the target...for me anyway....

It really doesnt matter how you get there...as i said ...its finding whats right for you....

Guest Mick.j

As you say ...each has their own individual techniques.... i have always been the trusty...Move....Mount....Shoot.... Somehow Mount...Move....Shoot ... wouldnt be productive in hitting the target...for me anyway....

It really doesnt matter how you get there...as i said ...its finding whats right for you....

Nowhere did i mention - mount move shoot? You move your body to shoot not your head, once its in contact with the stock- hence keeping the head still and not rolling around trying to fit the stock.

But each to there own method - right or wrong