Cabinet in the loft

nicknsd1978

My ones in the loft..

I drilled the wall put resin in with threaded rods, then coach bolts into the loft joists

Mine is laying down as the wall isn't flat enough, in places you would of been able to get a bar behind it.

If you have to do yours the same have the door opening towards you, then there's no chance of the crowbarring the door open as there isn't enough space between the cabinet and the wall.

Oh and fit a proper loft ladder and boards whilst your at it and don't forget a nice big strip light and a drop down table to clean your gun on :)

Edited by Ian E

mixed views on the situation. The problem i have is that its a rented property. I am so tempted to go with the threaded bar option but when i move i will have to cut away the threaded bar with a grinder probably damaging the plasterboard while I'm at it...decisions decisions

Bob's my dad lol your suggestion about cutting into the plasterboard is how I thought it would have to be done. Is was planning on positioning above the skirting board and then making a timber base below it from 4x2's and knocking this in underneath so it's virtually sat on it

Yes and cut a sleeve of copper pipe to slip over the studs, just the same length from the face of the plasterboard back to the blockwork. That way you can tighten onto something solid without compressing the dot and dab plasterboard.

+1 for this, or to spread the load, local machine shop to knock up some alloy spacers as have done in the past.....

Personally even though we had a nice fold down stair case type access to the loft I found the temperature variation too great.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is in the loft and has never been an issue. If your cabinet is in the loft you'd have to be one lazy so and so if you can't be bothered to put it back after you've used it, it's not like it's hard work or a massive physical task to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I was advised by South Yorkshire Police not to put my cabinet in the loft as they were worried about people coming in after a hard days shooting and not bothering to climb up into the loft to put the guns away instead storing them somewhere till the next day.

Fortunately I found another solid location for my cabinet as most of our walls are plasterboard.

Though a friend did lay his cabinet flat on it back just next to his loft door then coach bolted it to the floor/ceiling beams.

Now he only has to poke his head through the loft door to access the cabinet which the police were ok with.

Craig

I was advised by South Yorkshire Police not to put my cabinet in the loft as they were worried about people coming in after a hard days shooting and not bothering to climb up into the loft to put the guns away instead storing them somewhere till the next day.

Fortunately I found another solid location for my cabinet as most of our walls are plasterboard.

Though a friend did lay his cabinet flat on it back just next to his loft door then coach bolted it to the floor/ceiling beams.

Now he only has to poke his head through the loft door to access the cabinet which the police were ok with.

Craig

Very odd. I'm surprised they took that much notice. Surely this was just personal opinion and not actually a requirement? I guess they assumed that some people are just plain lazy. I have had cabinets in the loft before and the FEO was more than happy.

• 4 weeks later...

I was reliably informed decades ago that the loft location "issue" is NOT down to lazy shooters failing to put kit away...

I was told it was Health & Safety concerns around possible injury to, or damaged caused by, less agile FEO's clambering in & out of one size fits all loft hatches, stomping around on ceiling joists, etc.

I've had a few mates install cabinets in lofts which were passed by visual inspection from half way up the access ladder.

Mine is in the loft and has never been an issue. If your cabinet is in the loft you'd have to be one lazy so and so if you can't be bothered to put it back after you've used it, it's not like it's hard work or a massive physical task to do.

Depends on the loft situation