cheap hide poles

I make my own, I use 20mm electrical conduit about 6ft length then flatten one end with a big hammer to make a wedge to go into the ground, on the other end i have screwed a conduit hook to hold the nets. then wrapped all the poles in green PVC tape. they're a tad heavy but they don't move! ( I need to make some foot plates for hard ground ) suppose working for an electrical wholesaler has its advanges! I get my flapper/rotary battery from work too... i.e. a 12v 7.0amp alarm battery.

Not sure how much a wholesaler would charge you for thoses bits as I managed to get them as 'samples' but worth a look/try?

Edited by Sprucey

• 4 weeks later...

Oh. I wont buy them then. They looked good. Shame!

Fullmarks are selling 4 poles with footplate plus bag for £29 free delivery,by the time you muck on buying poles and then customising a foot plate you'd of spent £20/£30.i have 2 sets off them they are mint.

post-30855-0-04094600-1427994852_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davyo

Of all the gimmicks and DIY poles I've seen and tried over several years I still reckon the Electric fencer poles from Scatts take some beating.

4ft of pole with hooks for the net and a foot of spike to go into the ground and come in green, total cost £12.00 for six.

Of all the gimmicks and DIY poles I've seen and tried over several years I still reckon the Electric fencer poles from Scatts take some beating.

4ft of pole with hooks for the net and a foot of spike to go into the ground and come in green, total cost £12.00 for six.

There will be circumstances when fixed length poles are not suitable.

Hide poles are an integral part of decoying, having done the cheaper options, there is nothing like a set of good quality poles.

Ideally they are light yet strong, they push into the ground well and stay put. Pinewood in my opinion are the best out there, and at £55 a set (last time I checked) they won't break the bank.

Cos

Hide poles are an integral part of decoying, having done the cheaper options, there is nothing like a set of good quality poles.

Ideally they are light yet strong, they push into the ground well and stay put. Pinewood in my opinion are the best out there, and at £55 a set (last time I checked) they won't break the bank.

Cos

+ 1

I'm having one go at doing it cheaply, after my email was ignored by a local metal fabricators I've found and bought these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181704444127?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What I'll do is get a mate to cut and weld them together, so rather than having 10 short I'll have 5 long. Might work? They've not arrived yet.

I'm having one go at doing it cheaply, after my email was ignored by a local metal fabricators I've found and bought these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181704444127?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What I'll do is get a mate to cut and weld them together, so rather than having 10 short I'll have 5 long. Might work? They've not arrived yet.

My guess is that they'll do the job, but you'll be fed up with the weight of them the first time you set up more than 30 yds from your vehicle. They're commonly known as 'road pins' and a bunch of them will weigh a proverbial ton compared to a 'proper' set of poles.

Road pins are good if you can blag a load for nothing and then leave small batches of them stashed around the permission for use whenever you need them, but sod lugging the things around the place along with the nets, the deeks, the cartridges, the gun, and lunch !

My guess is that they'll do the job, but you'll be fed up with the weight of them the first time you set up more than 30 yds from your vehicle. They're commonly known as 'road pins' and a bunch of them will weigh a proverbial ton compared to a 'proper' set of poles.

Road pins are good if you can blag a load for nothing and then leave small batches of them stashed around the permission for use whenever you need them, but sod lugging the things around the place along with the nets, the deeks, the cartridges, the gun, and lunch !

Very true, I've bought a trolley though so I'm hoping it's not going to be too much of a drama to shift them around.

• 2 weeks later...

So this is what I've ended up with after buying those fence pins off ebay.

20150419_172609_zps2a6tnjsp.jpg

20150419_171316_zpszhg8ih8i.jpg

My mate has a welder and angle grinder so we cut and shut them to about 6 feet in length each. On one we kept the loop so it can be used to hang a rubbish bag off in the hide, slight mistake on this one as the top hook should face the other way but it won't really matter. With the remaining hooks we cut off they were welded onto the bottoms as a foot rest to push into ground, another loop was made from an off cut.

I was thinking of spraying green and brown to add to camo effect.

Not used them yet but I'm happy with 5 poles for around £16 and a few beers.

And yes I know they will be a ball ache to transport :yes:

Edit: I forgot the photos.

Edited by Muddy Funker

They look good.

I have ones made from the same steel and painted matt black (Aldi spray can £3) but are extended with the thin part of fishing rod rests at the top.... They are not heavy also I find they are easy to carry as they are thin and can get my hands around 5 easily.

Also have modern ones which are ok too but not good when trying to get hands around 5 plus I sometimes take a 5.5 ft hazel stick too.... But the modern ones are good for tweaking the heights of netting.

Pros and cons to both either are sufficient to hold up netting to conceal you from the birds... One thing I do if using the steel ones is make sure those hooks are pointing outwards so the barrells don't clank them.

So this is what I've ended up with after buying those fence pins off ebay. //<![CDATA[

(function(){var g=this,h=function(b,d){var a=b.split("."),c=g;a[0]in c||!c.execScript||c.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a.length&&(e=a.shift());)a.length||void 0===d?c[e]?c=c[e]:c=c[e]={}:c[e]=d};var l=function(b){var d=b.length;if(0<d){for(var a=Array(d),c=0;c<d;c++)a[c]=b[c];return a}return[]};var m=function(b){var d=window;if(d.addEventListener)d.addEventListener("load",b,!1);else if(d.attachEvent)d.attachEvent("onload",b);else{var a=d.onload;d.onload=function(){b.call(this);a&&a.call(this)}}};var n,p=function(b,d,a,c,e){this.f=b;this.h=d;this.i=a;this.c=e;this.e={height:window.innerHeight||document.documentElement.clientHeight||document.body.clientHeight,width:window.innerWidth||document.documentElement.clientWidth||document.body.clientWidth};this.g=c;this.b={};this.a=[];this.d={}},q=function(b,d){var a,c,e=d.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");if(a=e&&!(e in b.d))if(0>=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c<d.length;++c)a=a.concat(l(document.getElementsByTagName(d[c])));if(0!=a.length&&a[0].getBoundingClientRect){for(c=0;d=a[c];++c)q(b,d);a="oh="+b.i;b.c&&(a+="&n="+b.c);if(d=0!=b.a.length)for(a+="&ci="+encodeURIComponent(b.a[0]),c=1;c<b.a.length;++c){var e=","+encodeURIComponent(b.a[c]);131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0<a.width&&0<a.height&&0<a.naturalWidth&&0<a.naturalHeight||e in b&&a.width>=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=ajax&section=topics&do=quote&t=306878&p=2806487&md5check=79912da7a81181e8960bc8762c7e32ff&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,MaYKDaoTEmQ');

//]]>20150419_172609_zps2a6tnjsp.jpg20150419_171316_zpszhg8ih8i.jpgMy mate has a welder and angle grinder so we cut and shut them to about 6 feet in length each. On one we kept the loop so it can be used to hang a rubbish bag off in the hide, slight mistake on this one as the top hook should face the other way but it won't really matter. With the remaining hooks we cut off they were welded onto the bottoms as a foot rest to push into ground, another loop was made from an off cut.I was thinking of spraying green and brown to add to camo effect.Not used them yet but I'm happy with 5 poles for around £16 and a few beers.And yes I know they will be a ball ache to transport :yes:Edit: I forgot the photos.

Put some heat shrink tube on the hooks and down shaft a little way to stop accidental clashes with barrels