Flight lining is the very best of fun.

JDog

The nights are drawing out nicely which enabled me to rush off at 3:15 to stand on a flight line. I was in position by 3:30.

At 3:40 a huge flight of pigeons came over my head 'the wrong way' and all were out of range. I estimated that if any were to return it would take half an hour. A couple returned sooner than that which were shot, and after 40 minutes a decent flight started and I surprised myself by shooting some real corkers. They were up high in a blue sky with the sun shining on them and I could see the shot strike some of them.

Jasper sat tight and marked most of the birds which we picked at the end of the flight. Like a previous time I was standing in Gloucestershire and several pigeons fell dead in Warwickshire. I picked 13 of the 14 I was looking for.

DSC06086.jpg

Well, you certainly get plenty of practice on those flighting birds. You must be an expert at trimming them up.

I am no expert at anything of the sort.

Great report , poor presentation? Does Jasper see the birds before you shoot . You are obviously enjoying these Cotswold pigeons before you move to the difficult ones? ????

Yes Jasper sees them, sometimes before I do. He has never done anything other than sit tight after a shot and a kill so he is never tempted to run in. He marks very well.

As for the difficult ones in Lincolnshire, I may never shoot one.