Trout fishing - Cotswolds

SNS

Chaps, I'm thinking of dusting down my fly tackle and having a day out after some trout whilst I await some pigeon getting beyond PC's guns and down to me in the Cotswolds - I've not fished since moving here (save for a day as a guest fishing for salmon on the Wye) so haven't a clue where is good / bad / indifferent, so I'd be very grateful for any recommendations.

I don't mind an hour or so driving either if needs be......

The stretch of the Coln between Bibury and Coln St Aldwyns is pretty good. There is a club but the last time I was there I was told to speak to the river keeper John Reeves who let day tickets. Sorry I do not have any contact details. The post office in Coln St A will have details.

Cheers both - I shall have a look there

Someone locally mentioned Lechlade to me - any thoughts / experience of there as I fished a 'big fish' water up North a few times but didn't particularly enjoy it

lechlade is very good sport..but you are just buying a big fish...I have been a couple of times and stalking big fish from the bank is good fun,all depends on what sort of fishing you like but definitely worth having a go once to see if you like it..

In my opinion it's an expensive way to fish for stockies.

Yeah, that's rather how I felt about the place up north. It looks like I could be fishing with a few people now so maybe will have to go and try it and then and save the Coln for a trip by myself

• 3 months later...

Chaps, I'm thinking of dusting down my fly tackle and having a day out after some trout whilst I await some pigeon getting beyond PC's guns and down to me in the Cotswolds - I've not fished since moving here (save for a day as a guest fishing for salmon on the Wye) so haven't a clue where is good / bad / indifferent, so I'd be very grateful for any recommendations.

I don't mind an hour or so driving either if needs be......

hello,did you go trouting? where are you in the cotswolds? how far from witney?

lechlade is very good sport..but you are just buying a big fish...I have been a couple of times and stalking big fish from the bank is good fun,all depends on what sort of fishing you like but definitely worth having a go once to see if you like it..

Went once with a fishing club up ours for their annual outing, I didn't fish it.

I fish rivers mainly so it's not my cup of tea, TBH it looked like a muddy hippo pond....an expensive one at that.. :lol:

I was in the cotswolds a few weekends ago. First time, and got to say it was a beautiful part of the country. Stayed in the Bibury area and walk along a couple of rivers. There was a mayfly hatch on the Saturday and the spents were dropping back. The place was alive with fish. Of course, I was there for a wedding so no wetting of a line took place. But its a lovely. Looks like a big shooting area too. Loads of pheasants about and those tiny wee English hares, which are good bit smaller than their Irish cousins.

Edited by Dr D