what a disappointment

mike69

well went out again with a mate secured a piece of land we went smartly dressed talked to the owner

introduced ourselves then he introduced us to his son talking about the guns we use did everything to the book then the guy said ill take you around to show you the boundaries

gave him the permission forms to sign all done and dusted

then his son phoned just as we were leaving

then the word SORRY my son said you cant shoot on here because we don't know you

what a joke how are they going to get to know us if they wont let us shoot

RANT OVER

I wouldn't give someone with whom I'd no previous contact shooting permission on my land. Please don't take this personally, but you'd be mad to let a stranger onto your property with a gun.

Can I suggest you consider re-contacting the farmer, acknowledging his concerns and helping him out on the farm as a way of building a relationship.

If you were a farmer, with gates, fences, animals, other equipment, buildings, crops, legal responsibilities to anyone on your land - would you let someone you didn't know walk about with a gun? Again, please don't take this personally - just trying to offer advice to understanding the other side of the coin. Good luck.

hi glenshooter

its not a farm as such but a garden nursery

when we spoke to the guy that owns the land we said we would help out if they needed some odd jobs doing as well as keeping a eye open for

anything untoward s on his property while we were there everything was going well just to the part we was leaving then his son phoned and said no

Thats a right kick in the nuts!same thing happens with gun clubs where i live"we dont know you so were not giving you a chance" attitude.

it is a kick in the nuts we did our homework to get the perm just to get knocked back by his son

Did his son know you're offered to do odd jobs?

However, if I'm being honest, I still think you may not appreciate the 'big deal' it is, at least for me, for strangers/people to wander around a/my property with guns. The offer of maybe doing some 'odd jobs' wouldn't wash with me either.

You're asking a lot from him and giving nothing in return, IMHO.

Did his son know you're offered to do odd jobs?

However, if I'm being honest, I still think you may not appreciate the 'big deal' it is, at least for me, for strangers/people to wander around a/my property with guns. The offer of maybe doing some 'odd jobs' wouldn't wash with me either.

You're asking a lot from him and giving nothing in return, IMHO.

Mike, upon reflection, my reply may sound a bit harsh. Honestly, it's not meant to be. I'm just trying to give you another perspective so that you may in future, maximise your chances of getting a permission. :)

Mike, upon reflection, my reply may sound a bit harsh. Honestly, it's not meant to be. I'm just trying to give you another perspective so that you may in future, maximise your chances of getting a permission. :)

i know that we are going to come across these kind of situations in the future and i have taken on board what your saying

and thank you for your honesty :good::good:

when we was walking around even his son said the rabbits were destroying the plants

and he shown us where there destroying the plants he was up for it when we spoke to them both

He needs the rabbits sorted. Can you help him replant seedlings/whatever to replace the ones that have been destroyed and that gives you a chance to show him what you're like?

I've got **** fishermen who walk across my land, leaving gates open, damaging fences, trampling crops, leaving hooks laying about - hence my reticence for having strangers on my property.

Or simply ask him, how can you help him, without initially mentioning shooting. (I take it you'll be planning to use an air rifle/rimfire among the young plants?) And being a member of BASC may help as well.

yes we are already basc members which we took the policy with us and they both had a read of it

yes we would be shooting from a path but we would have to walk through the plants but there is like a path at the side

so we wouldnt damage any of the plants

I was thinking more of a shotgun blast ripping through young plants!!

Seriously, get to know the farmer and try to make it as less obvious as you can that your long (short) term objective is to get shooting. By the sounds of it, you're 80% there, if you can just build some trust.

Popping back with a greeting like, "I know you don't want me to shoot, and that's no problem but you could maybe do with some help in fixing the damage that you showed me last time, planting new seedlings for you, fixing fences, carrying bags/any sort of stuff, weeding amongst the plants" or indeed anything he wants. But, if you've never been on a farm before, get to know the protocols and by that I mean things like hygiene, keeping gates closed, not standing where you shouldn't, safety etc etc

Interesting reading both sides of the arguments. It is frustrating not being able to get a foot in the door. Once you finally do get a permission it allows you to name drop which helps a lot.

Nurseries (of the plant type) are a ****** from both the owner and the shooters side of things. One of my permissions is a nursery of around 200 acres split over 4 plots. Lots of rows of trees, millions of pots, lots of watering equip, green houses etc etc. The boss has to balance the need to control the rabbits and hares with the risk of damage and adverse views by controlling pest numbers. Fortunately I have been shooting on the farm next door for the last 9 years so I was able to name drop and that made life a lot easier.

All I can say is keep at it. Once you crack the first "nut" and get a permission it should get easier from there onwards. Good luck buddy.

Interesting reading both sides of the arguments. It is frustrating not being able to get a foot in the door. Once you finally do get a permission it allows you to name drop which helps a lot.

Nurseries (of the plant type) are a ****** from both the owner and the shooters side of things. One of my permissions is a nursery of around 200 acres split over 4 plots. Lots of rows of trees, millions of pots, lots of watering equip, green houses etc etc. The boss has to balance the need to control the rabbits and hares with the risk of damage and adverse views by controlling pest numbers. Fortunately I have been shooting on the farm next door for the last 9 years so I was able to name drop and that made life a lot easier.

All I can say is keep at it. Once you crack the first "nut" and get a permission it should get easier from there onwards. Good luck buddy.

cheers welshmike

the land was only 1 acre but it was only to get our foot in the door

like i said in my previous post everything was signed sealed and delivered

then the big bomb shell dropped his son said NO

cheers welshmike

the land was only 1 acre but it was only to get our foot in the door

like i said in my previous post everything was signed sealed and delivered

then the big bomb shell dropped his son said NO

Its totally **** mate and I was sorry to hear this. Keep persevering mate, you will get there.