Damn corvids

aga man

I was aware that one of the farms i shoot was preparing to drill some spring wheat this week, and with the dry windy weather sure enough the seed drill was out on Tuesday.

We seem to have been struggling on pigeon numbers lately and i was hopeful that given the chance pigeons would find the drillings and start to build in numbers.

The field had plenty of seed on the surface, but sadly the first thing to find it was corvids, mainly rooks :mad:

I had a few dead carrions in the freezer and i tried the old trick of hanging them by there feet at various places. This didn't detere them and the numbers built.

At 9 am this morning the Farmer rang me as he had seen the crows and asked if i could have a go at them.

Although i was hoping for pigeons, i had to attend the crow problem so i told the farmer i would get there later when i finished work.

Typically more Jobs took longer than expected and i didn't arrive at the field till 3pm.

I quickly put up my hide with wind at my back, put out 2 plastic crows and a de-frosted Carrion on the flapper.

Instantly the rooks played ball and although my shooting was a bit rusty at times i had some decnt sport keeping the corvids off the field.

I packed up at 5pm and in 2 hours i had shot 24 mixed corvids,[picked 20] mainly rooks but 2 jackdaws and couple of carrions joined the bag.

Shot of the afternoon was a high passing woodpigeon which was killed stone dead.

All of the bag was shot with 28 and 24gms of no7 through 3/4 choke in the trusty hatsan automagic. :)

The Farmer came to see me as i packed up and was very pleased. He also said they drilled some more spring wheat today and i know the field has regular pigeon traffic so hopfully a pigeon report coming soon.

post-57269-0-00215000-1425667960_thumb.jpg

post-57269-0-80441900-1425668141_thumb.jpg

Edited by aga man

How did you find the carts, just bought 1000 fiocchi 28g 7.5 so 7 in our currency..! Thought I'd try them through 3/4 to full choke and see what happens... ( motty is to blame! looking at his posts he shoots far more than me with these kind of carts)

I normally shoot 29g pigeon carts at 185 per thousand so this will be a 30 pound saving per thousand....

Tedly

How did you find the carts, just bought 1000 fiocchi 28g 7.5 so 7 in our currency..! Thought I'd try them through 3/4 to full choke and see what happens... ( motty is to blame! looking at his posts he shoots far more than me with these kind of carts)

I normally shoot 29g pigeon carts at 185 per thousand so this will be a 30 pound saving per thousand....

Tedly

The cartridges are more than adequate at decoying ranges, Fiocchi make brilliant cartridges, you won't be dissapointed with what you have bought.

The fiocchi i was using today [blue case] state 2.4mm shot which is english no7 the red shells are spanish so again continetal.

If i can't get the spanish/italian 7's then good old eley first in 28gm 7/12 are just the same.

Hit the bird up front is the main thing and keep the range sensible :good:

The cartridges are more than adequate at decoying ranges, Fiocchi make brilliant cartridges, you won't be dissapointed with what you have bought.

The fiocchi i was using today [blue case] state 2.4mm shot which is english no7 the red shells are spanish so again continetal.

If i can't get the spanish/italian 7's then good old eley first in 28gm 7/12 are just the same.

Hit the bird up front is the main thing and keep the range sensible :good:

Yes yes I agree, I forgot to say great shooting.....

Tedly